October 23, 2014, 05:41:26 AM

Author Topic: Photokina 2010 Report  (Read 40374 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Photokina 2010 Report
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »

Photokina 2010 Report

12:25 – The FujiFilm FinePix 100 via Mr Blurry Cam

Size comparison the X100 beside my Canon M9 :)

I hate taking images with my phone, the blurry cam was in full effect.

The X100 is drawing a lot of attention. Fuji had semi working X100 on display for the world to see.

Hybrid Viewfinder

Holy cow, that is amazing. Seriously, it’s beautiful. I’ve heard some inappropriate (for this site) phrases to describe the new hybrid viewfinder. I tend to concur.

How Much?!

Initial reports of the pricing were high. We can expect the camera to cost “around $1000 USD” and “around 1000 Euro”.

The pricing isn’t finalized, but that’s directly from Fuji.

Fit and Finish

No, it’s not built like a Leica M9, but it’s still very nice. I couldn’t take the camera off the tripod to check how it feels. It looks a little bit on the plastic side. It’s a nice size though.

I’m more positive about it now that I see the pricing.

12:20 – EOS 60D

EOS 60D

Lots of heated talk has been bandied about in regards to this camera. People have directly compared it to Nikon’s well specced D7000. Fairly or unfairly, that’s the way it is.

My impressions of the camera.

I love the way it feels, it’s really made for larger hands and for people that want a camera that is well thought out ergonomically. The camera feels solid, I can say I do not miss the skeleton of the 50D. The control wheel on the back is very intuitive and responsive. As is the center button inside the wheel.

The LCD screen is big and beautiful. The articulating mechanism is very solid, Canon has always designed them well.

It was a bodychecking party around the 60D, so I didn’t get to spend much time with it. My first impressions of the camera are very positive.

For anyone considering a T2i, check out the 60D too.

12:00 PM – PowerShot SX 30 IS

PowerShot SX30 IS

A camera I have called “absurd” obviously peaked my interest. The PowerShot SX 30 and it’s 35x zoom (24mm-840mm).

Hands on Mini Preview

The camera is a lot lighter than the previous cameras in the SX line. That’s largely due to being a lithium-ion battery instead of 4 AA’s I suspect. With the lighter weight, the camera doesn’t feel quite as solid as it did.

I was unable to put an SD card into the camera as Canon locks that sort of thing down. I’m really eager to see how well it works at 840mm.

Below is a shot giving you an idea what 840mm looks like on the LCD screen. I am zoomed into the head above the purple blotch in the background. One the screen, the images appeared sharp. The IS seems to be very functional.

SX30 IS Zoomed to 840mm

I don’t think I’m going to call the camera “absurd” anymore. I’m looking forward to seeing real world images from it.

11:30 AM

Back at the press center after spending the morning with Canon, Fujifilm, Topaz Labs and Sigma. The Canon area is obviously a zoo and since I’m a nice guy, I don’t knock people over to get to a camera.

What I could not find was the 4K camera or the white concept camera. I will go back and have another look. Their area is huge.

9:00AM – I’ve arrived at the press center and just trying to find my bearings. The show opens shortly and I want to be the first to hit the Canon booth. I’ll spend a fair bit of time this morning there. I’ll move onto others in the afternoon.

I’ll also take some time to find the weird, wild and wacky.

I’ll be posting pictures and all that jazz along the way. This is the first time I’ve done this, so it’ll be a learning experience for sure.

Forum Thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,191.0.html

I’ll be choosing random people that participate in a positive way on the forums today for a free CR T-Shirt, I may even upgrade them to golf shirts or maybe even a hoody.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Photokina 2010 Report
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »

that1guy

Re: Photokina 2010 Report
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
Awww saweeet!  I wanna hoodie.  I live in Seattle and I could wear that thing a lot.  So, will you be updating this thread w/ new info as you see it, or will you post separate threads for everything new? Have fun!
Oh, almost forgot, will you be able to upload photos on the fly as well?

gabriele

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:32:48 AM »
Can't wait to hear other news from you! I'm so envy I wanted to be there so bad, but I'm stuck in Italy at the moment.
I'm really interested in the Canon EF 14-24mm f/2.8L USM and in the Sigma 85mm f/1.4...I try to not be interested in the 24-70 f/2.8L IS USM because I got this year the not IS version.
Try to get some gadget for us followers and have fun! ;-)

Anastas

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:37:23 AM »
I hope Canon have something in their sleeves and show it in the last moment  ::)

lotus

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:49:21 AM »
Great job CRguy! It must be great fun to be there!

Can't wait to get some wonderful news from Cologne when I wake up tomorrow in the Golden State :)

MCK

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:52:07 AM »
<p><strong>Photokina 2010 Report</strong></p>
<p><strong>9:00AM – </strong>I’ve arrived at the press center and just trying to find my bearings. The show opens shortly and I want to be the first to hit the Canon booth. I’ll spend a fair bit of time this morning there. I’ll move onto others in the afternoon.</p>
<p>I’ll also take some time to find the weird, wild and wacky.</p>
<p>I’ll be posting pictures and all that jazz along the way. This is the first time I’ve done this, so it’ll be a learning experience for sure.</p>
<p><strong>Forum Thread: </strong><a href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,191.0.html\"><strong>http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,191.0.html</strong></a></p>
<p>I’ll be choosing random people that participate in a positive way on the forums today for a free CR T-Shirt, I may even upgrade them to golf shirts or maybe even a hoody.</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

Good luck hunting

that1guy

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:52:44 AM »
So when do they let you in? I'm dying to hear about what you see, but it's getting late here. Almost 1am but I keep putting off going to bed so I can find out what is all there :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:52:44 AM »

suhtnaka

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 03:53:14 AM »
Please ask necessarily! Why they still are so ignorant towards geotagging? There is no useable solution or any interface for it, to use an external solution. 1,000 € for the bad solutions with an WTF and an Dawntech, may not be a serious suggestion from Canon?

dewa

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:53:36 AM »
looking forward to some interesting news.
Was planning to go to Cologne two weeks ago but something comes up.
Have fun!

Peerke

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:58:09 AM »
Did you see that 46 MP foveon X3 sensor on the new Sigma? Talking about resolution on APS-C size! :P And the 150 macro with OS. I just bought the one without  >:(.
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

lesleyp

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:59:54 AM »
I'm sure you could surprise us with some very new interesting info about the upcoming gear and stuff !  ;)
Enjoy!

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:44:06 AM »
I'm just dying to hear about their plans for the 1DsIV.... that thing is a bit overdue... :'(
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:53:18 AM »
Craig, ask around for the most obvious question we all have: what is the "second body" to be released by Canon in time for Photokina? 5D2n, 5D3 or the rather unnecessary 2000D? Also, I hope you brought a CF card along, try to shoot test photos using the new lenses on display like the fishy zoom and that overpriced white L zoom. Harangue the Canon reps on when we can see changes in the product planning department :P. Maeda and Westfall should be also kicked upstairs, hehe. TIA
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:53:18 AM »

lightingbryan

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 04:58:13 AM »
**CR** you said people that participate in a positive way will get a shirt. Do you mean like this: I noticed to tagged this Photokina post as a 1ds mark 4 post. Is this a hint? Did you find something out?  Ps I need to know about the possiblity of a new flash. A 680ex? If there is not one at the show I will buy a 580ex ii today!!! Thanks you are amazing

Axtstern

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:22:01 AM »
Some hint for the life after Photokina:

Close to Cologne Central station are 2 Used camera shops, if I remember correct one is under the arches of a small railroad bridge close the train station

Foto Lambertin

Straße Wallrafplatz
PLZ/ Ort 50667 Köln

the other one is here:

FOTO GREGOR GmbH
Neumarkt 32-3450667 Köln

Phone: 0221/925766- 11/-33

Open:
Mo.- Fr.  9:30 Uhr - 19:00 Uhr 
Sa. 9:30 Uhr - 18:00 Uhr

For anything Digital these shops are not realy interesting but sometimes they have highly interesting analog dinosaurs from Soviet Rusia or former East Germany. Got a 40 year old 13x18 cm Backplane camera there for arround 50 Euro some time ago.

Oh and a wise word of warning:  If you order a beer in a pub in Cologne and it is served in a glass which looks like from a toy kitchen or being made for children hands than it is Kölsch. The natves in Cologne insist that it is beer but this is highly disputed by the other Germans living not in or arround of Cologne.

regards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:22:01 AM »