December 19, 2014, 06:43:14 PM

Author Topic: what does everyone think of the 100L macro for wedding portraits and generalwork  (Read 2616 times)

giltaminphotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I just rented the  canon100L to see if I like it for portraits, I use the 70-200 v2 is but its so heavy to lug around and I'm looking for something a little lighter. I find the 100L to be fairly light. I use to own the 135L but I found it to be a little long and its heavier then the 100L. Let me know your thoughts on this lens deciding on wheather its worth keeping. I don't use macro often but it may come in handy for wedding work.

canon rumors FORUM

Ian_of_glos

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Which 100mm macro are you referring to? For some reason Canon make two 100mm macro lenses. The Canon 100mm F2.8L has IS and it is an excellent overall lens but I have never used the other one (the non IS, non L version). On a full frame camera the 100mm F2.8L IS macro is perfect for portraits. Image quality is very good and it is not too heavy. In fact I have never actually used it for macro work.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
It's a really nice lens but the auto focus is going to be much slower that the 135. I'd recommend switching to back button AF and keeping your other hand busy on the focus ring to "help" and speed up the focus. It'll lock much faster that way.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
It's a really nice lens but the auto focus is going to be much slower that the 135. I'd recommend switching to back button AF and keeping your other hand busy on the focus ring to "help" and speed up the focus. It'll lock much faster that way.

The 100L'.s af isn't slow, but it has a much larger range with a minimum focusing distance of 1ft to infinity... and it will search in that 1ft range.  There is a switch to change it to 3 ft and beyond...

I've used the 100L for portraiture, sports, macro... it is a very good lens. 

However... no one describes the bokeh as magic like they do with the 135.  So your work product might suffer... but not that much.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile

Also, set the focus limiter switch to 0.5m–∞ when shooting portraits.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

giltaminphotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Which 100mm macro are you referring to? For some reason Canon make two 100mm macro lenses. The Canon 100mm F2.8L has IS and it is an excellent overall lens but I have never used the other one (the non IS, non L version). On a full frame camera the 100mm F2.8L IS macro is perfect for portraits. Image quality is very good and it is not too heavy. In fact I have never actually used it for macro work.

I'm referring to the 100 mm macro L 2.8 IS

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
I just rented the  canon100L to see if I like it for portraits, I use the 70-200 v2 is but its so heavy to lug around and I'm looking for something a little lighter. I find the 100L to be fairly light. I use to own the 135L but I found it to be a little long and its heavier then the 100L. Let me know your thoughts on this lens deciding on wheather its worth keeping. I don't use macro often but it may come in handy for wedding work.

Dear Friend giltaminphotography.
I have both 100 mm.Lenses, Yes They are great for Portrait Photos, BUT---BIG BUT--We need to use with FF Camera, If Use with small sensor Canon Cameras,  100 X 1.6 = 160 mm  is too far  distant when we shoot the model for full body portrait photos.
Good luck.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

giltaminphotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

The 100L'.s af isn't slow, but it has a much larger range with a minimum focusing distance of 1ft to infinity... and it will search in that 1ft range.  There is a switch to change it to 3 ft and beyond...

I've used the 100L for portraiture, sports, macro... it is a very good lens. 

However... no one describes the bokeh as magic like they do with the 135.  So your work product might suffer... but not that much.

I've used the 85L and the 135L for portraits they both excel but I found the 135 a little long and the 85L to be a little slow with af. The bokeh on the 85 was amazing but I didn't love the lens like I loved the 135L. I'm hoping the 100L is close just because I do a lot of handheld work and I find it very light and comfortable. If they came out with a newer 135 with IS I would jump on that.

giltaminphotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

Dear Friend giltaminphotography.
I have both 100 mm.Lenses, Yes They are great for Portrait Photos, BUT---BIG BUT--We need to use with FF Camera, If Use with small sensor Canon Cameras,  100 X 1.6 = 160 mm  is too far  distant when we shoot the model for full body portrait photos.
Good luck.
Surpass

I'm using it with a 5d3 and a 6d, I couldn't imagine not shooting full frame. Thanks for your input.

btaoka

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I think the 100mm L is a great lens for portraits.  I had mine on a 6D at a friends wedding this past summer but was not anticipating shooting at all.  After a few shots, I got into it even though it was my first time using the lens in this capacity.  Here's a sample:

That photo isn't as sharp as it could be, but that was due to my inexperience rather than the lens itself.  Here's a small set of photos from that day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97429425@N05/sets/72157637954549245/.  The only downside I found was indoors, specifically where space is an issue.  In smaller rooms, the 100mm length was too long for me (which is why I have no photos of the reception, and the fact that I was drinking by then).
6D, 70D, 17-40 4L, 24-105 4L IS, 35 1.4L, 100 Macro 2.8L IS, 600 EX-RT

Flickr

giltaminphotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I think the 100mm L is a great lens for portraits.  I had mine on a 6D at a friends wedding this past summer but was not anticipating shooting at all.  After a few shots, I got into it even though it was my first time using the lens in this capacity.  Here's a sample:

That photo isn't as sharp as it could be, but that was due to my inexperience rather than the lens itself.  Here's a small set of photos from that day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97429425@N05/sets/72157637954549245/.  The only downside I found was indoors, specifically where space is an issue.  In smaller rooms, the 100mm length was too long for me (which is why I have no photos of the reception, and the fact that I was drinking by then).

These photos look great pretty nice colour, the clarity seems to be on par with the 135L. Did you end up keeping the lens? The 6d  is a great camera it was suppose to be my backup camera to my 5d3 and I find myself using the 6d way more.

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
Hey giltamin,

I use this lens for its duel purpose. For weddings, it's phenomenal at capturing the rings, cake details, dress details, etc. It is not my go-to must have by any means, however, I can count on adding an additional 40+ images to someone's wedding when I include this lens in the lineup.

I really have done little work using it as a portrait lens. For portraits, I use the 85Lii for slow/non moving people and the 70-200ii for faster moving work.

As a macro/detail lens, it's a keeper for me.

I hope this helps,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2, 430 EX II, and Godox PB960 x2 | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
It's a great lens for portraits. It's less versatile than the 70-200 v2 as a portrait lens, but you gain macro shooting ability and the size/weight savings. It's a tough choice, so I own both. Though also shoots sports with the 70-200 so it has its own justification.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

canon rumors FORUM

Sabaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
My weddings I shot, I used my 100mm L macro for the detail shots, such as rings, jewellry, bouquets, cake etc

When people mention working in smaller spaces with a prime, I immediately imagine that a zoom lens, such as your 70-200mm f/2.8 or the 24-70mm f/2.8 becomes a better option as "zooming with your feet" is a little tough when sharing a small space with a number of people.

Perhaps an exercise you'd want to try. Shoot a few portraits with the 100mm macro and then the 70-200mm at 100mm. See what you favour and ask if losing your zoom is worth the trade off.
Canon EOS 500D | Canon EOS 7D mk II |  100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

memoriaphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Hey giltamin,

I use this lens for its duel purpose. For weddings, it's phenomenal at capturing the rings, cake details, dress details, etc. It is not my go-to must have by any means, however, I can count on adding an additional 40+ images to someone's wedding when I include this lens in the lineup.

I really have done little work using it as a portrait lens. For portraits, I use the 85Lii for slow/non moving people and the 70-200ii for faster moving work.

As a macro/detail lens, it's a keeper for me.

I hope this helps,
-Tabor

Couldn't agree more...
1Ds3 (two bodies) | 1D4 | 6D | 16-35/4 L | 50L | 85L |135L | 70-200/2.8 II | the 40 pancake and my beloved Fuji X100 which smokes all my fancy gear any day :-)   www.memoriaphoto.se

canon rumors FORUM