October 21, 2014, 05:45:45 PM

Author Topic: Canon Says No to Retro Design for Them  (Read 4141 times)

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Canon Says No to Retro Design for Them
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
You had me until you lost me.

I think that the appearance/aesthetic of a camera has some importance.  The ergonomics has great importance.  The most important thing is that it will do what you need it to do, be durable, and give you head room to grow.  People who focus on the aesthetic without the other most important factors are more interested in making a fashion statement.  I don't degenerate them, they are entitled, as are serious photographers.

Regarding your Canon comments lagging, I can' agree.  I would love them to improve everything and not charge for it, and make it light and small and ergonomic, but, wait, wake me up.

I'll keep my 5DIII and Canon glass until the 1DX replacement comes out.  But that is just me.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

sek

What the camera looks like is relatively unimportant - what it does is what matters.  Unfortunately, with the
exception of the dual pixel 70D (which has yet to prove itself), Canon seems to be lagging in almost every
department, sensor development, high iso performance, mirrorless, etc.  On the other hand, it seems to be working for the bottom line when other manufacturers are struggling.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:05:59 AM »
DP recently ran an interview with Nikon exects.
They were amazed at the Df's popularity, but
also mentioned the decline of sales both for
p&s as well as DSLR's.

That made me think that people might
be attracted to retro designs like the Df
because it looks like a safe investment.
Possibly it reminds people of those great
cameras of the 70's and 80's they still
value so highly?

Personally, I think Canon is making the
right choice.  For one thing, Canon changed
its lens mount and everyone would laugh
if their retro design did not offer compatibility
with those earlier lenses and I agree.

I would chock it up to the posers... i.e. the people that bought the DF are casual users who bought it to look cool.

They will grow tired of it.

They will go back to their iPhones and Instagram as their main photo outlets...

They will not INVEST in lenses...

I'd disagree with that completely.

The only people that the Nikon Df is really going to appeal to are those that started out taking photographs with film and remember what it was like "back then" when video cameras were used to create video and photographers had cameras that took photos, not video. They'll already have a collection of lenses to use the camera with. The iPhone and Instagram crowd couldn't care less for it.

ClayStevens

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 01:42:25 AM »
Though I believe the retro design is a marketing trick of the manufactures, I also think that "Canon says no to retro" is a another kind of marketing trick.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 01:55:14 AM »
I'd say Olympus and Fuji are doing retro right, in their own styles. And yes, even Canon's G-series.

The Df was hugely disappointing to me.  I think it looks great on the shelf but that's were I'll leave it; it's ergonomics are just wrong IMO.  Tho, it would not take much tweaking to make it much more practical without changing the look of it for those to whom that appeals.  Old Nikonians I know just love it tho.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »

The only people that the Nikon Df is really going to appeal to are those that started out taking photographs with film and remember what it was like "back then" when video cameras were used to create video and photographers had cameras that took photos, not video. They'll already have a collection of lenses to use the camera with. The iPhone and Instagram crowd couldn't care less for it.

You may be right; but won't they be disappointed too, at least to the extent their lenses are manual focus?  It's all very well being able to easily attach an old mf lens, but without providing the means for relatively easy mf that film cameras had, and by avoiding the mirrorless advantage of in-EVF magnification and focus peaking etc., Nikon doesn't seem at all user-friendly (leaving aside all the other ergonomic issues).  For someone with mf lenses s/he wants to use on a ff camera, a Sony A7/A7r makes more sense to me (that's one reason why I bought an A7r).

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 02:32:53 AM »
No loss there.

The Nikon DF was a Definite Fail...sorry I went there.

If Canon does one, please go in the same line as the new FujiFilm camera or the new sony A7/r...
Or they could be different and evolve the EOS-m and  revive their Canonet rangefinder style cameras

Or the lazy option and just  clad the EOS-M in a nice silver Mag body like the Canonet cameras.

Just do it right!

fussy III

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »
If going retro is the same as to (re-)introduce some more straightforward mechanical design for the most important settings, than going retro for me is a good thing that should not be disregarded as if it was a mere fashion.

e.g., I'd be happy if Canon-lenses had an aperture ring again, especially macro-lenses and TS-E lenses. Having the Iso more accessable when wearing gloves would be another great thing. Overall, I really dislike the need to push little neighboring buttoms while turning a wheel.

Just because Nikon messed it up with the Df, Canon should not be to proud of their own rather lame design.

But I must admit there is one great thing about EOS-functionality that I wouldn't want to sacrifice to any designer's needs: It is the positioning of shutter-release, digit-wheel and how one's hand fits into the grip. Allows to adjust most everything manually with one hand, including ISO (although that I would prefer on a designated wheel, like I said, but maybe that is just me). Try setting all that single-handed on a Nikon and you will likely drop your camera in the process.

Conclusion: I wouldn't mind having a few more accessible wheels on top of the camera. The G series has always been ugly, but it worked. A7 isn't exacly pretty either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:26:13 AM by fussy III »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »

lightthief

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »
Hello forum,

i'm a long time reader and until today, i thought i have nothing important or meaningful to post ... but now...

I do not like retro. And so it is difficult for me to understand why other people like retro. But to all who love the retro style, i can say, i think Canon will surprise you with the most old fashioned EOS you can imagine.

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1844886/display/33214896
Seen in Venice.

Have a nice day!
lightthief
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:55:31 AM by lightthief »
Canon 5DIII, 50D, 8-15 Fisheye, 16-35 4.0 IS, 35 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 85 1.2 II, 100 2.8 IS Makro, 100-400 4.5-5.6 IS, 2x Speedlite 430 EX II + Transmitter ST-E2, GoPro H3 Black

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
"Canon has kept its distance from this trend. As a result, the design is not pretentious"

This sentence gave me the warm fuzzies. Canon is exactly the company I want them to be.

For me, the most beautiful thing in the world is something that makes absolutely no compromises on function or form, where the two complement each other and the aesthetic and function are integral parts of each other. When something has an appealing look, and that look is entirely derived from its function.
-100% RAW-

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »
If I want a "Retro" Canon SLR, I would just get some tape, write CLASSIC on it and stick it onto my 7D, done.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:16:31 PM by traingineer »
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »