July 24, 2014, 09:16:07 AM

Author Topic: 1DX Question from a friend of mine...  (Read 1348 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
1DX Question from a friend of mine...
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:44 AM »
He posed the following questions.  We would really appreciate any help!

Although I haven't had time do more than minimal processing, I'm pretty pleased with the results and with the camera in general. I'm puzzled by two issues - probably due to lack of knowledge about the camera settings. I've searched through the manual without success. Perhaps you know where these functions can be found.

1. I get no audible beeps for either of the self timer functions. I often use the 2 sec self timer for long lens tripod shots in lieu of the remote cable release. But the camera doesn't give me the audible tones I'm used to as it counts down.

2. I often shoot with spot metering in manual mode to give me full control over changing conditions. But the top-side display doesn't provide active meter readings in "M" mode regardless which meter mode I select. The viewfinder DOES provide a meter reading that changes with the lighting but neither the top-side display nor the live view display show active meter readings.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

1DX Question from a friend of mine...
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:44 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX Question from a friend of mine...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
The first one (no beeps) seems to be a 1-series 'feature'.  I guess they figure the timer beeps are useful for selfies, and 1-series shooters don't take selfies.  That goes along with the lack of an IR receiver for the little (easy to hide in your hand) IR remotes like the RC-1, with which all the other cameras down to the lowest Rebel and even my EOS M are compatible.

No idea on the second one, as I'm usually looking through the VF so I likely would not have noticed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

estevesdematos

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
Hello
Your friend has to choose from the menus what metering modes are available when shooting in M

menu C.Fn2:Exposure
Metering used in manual exp - select Specified metering mode to use all the metering modes that you selected on the previous menu ;) (Restrict metering modes)

Hope this help

1Dx

apersson850

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
That does of course not help, since he never asked about that.

Anyway, it's true that the exposure meter isn't displayed in the top display. But it's displayed in the viewfinder and also on the information display on the rear LCD, if you enable that function. Thus you can see it regardless of whether you use the normal viewfinder or not.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »