August 28, 2014, 09:44:08 AM

Author Topic: Large Prints from RAW files  (Read 3521 times)

btaoka

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Large Prints from RAW files
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
Generally speaking, start with the end product and work backwards.  Work with a printer that has ICC profiles - check out http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/ for places that are already profiled.  I print huge stuff and love it, but I work with a local shop and enjoy the items he prints compared to what i pull out of Costco even with their ICC.

If you want to play with ProPhoto RGB, check out Roger's post - http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/fun-with-color-vision
Hi Halfrack,

Thanks for the info.  I will take a look at those sites.
6D, 70D, 17-40 4L, 24-105 4L IS, 35 1.4L, 100 Macro 2.8L IS, 600 EX-RT

Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »

btaoka

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
I regularly make large prints and can help you with workflow questions, but please let me know what your specific questions are - capture, upsizing, sharpening? Generically, the capture is most important - you need to use a tripod, timer/remote release, and the best apertures and techniques to get the sharpest capture possible.  Mild sharpening should be done in Camera RAW and after re-sizing to the printing size (usually at 300dpi) for the appropriate printing media.  Photoshop CC has much improved re-sizing quality and sufficient for most printing. 

Also, if you are serious about printing, then yes, a calibrated monitor (using a colorimeter or spectrophotometer) is necessary.  You can calibrate other ways for free, but you'll still end up with color casts and brightness issues.  The easiest way to make high-quality large prints is to calibrate your monitor, work in AdobeRGB, and use a printer who supports ICC profiles.  If you're printing yourself, the difficulty and expense goes up considerably.

Just curious, why would you not do all your work in the best possible color space, like ProPhoto RGB....?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
That's a great question and while ProPhoto RGB is considerably larger than AdobeRGB, there are very few printers who can take advantage of the extra gamut that it offers.  This is especially true of commercial CMYK presses since Hexachrome never really caught on (due to cost).  When the full imaging chain - camera, software, monitors, and printers are all true 16-bit devices, it will make sense, but the reality is that even Adobe RGB's extra colors get clipped along the path in most cases.  I'm not saying it's not possible to get the full benefits of the ProPhoto, but it takes a very sophisticated set up and most of the industry has adopted AdobeRGB (and sRGB for consumer work) as the standard.  There's certainly no harm in using ProPhoto and saving files in it, but the real-world advantages aren't really there in most cases. 

It's sort of like 4k video - sure, you can record in it, but it gobbles up lots of space, takes much more horsepower to edit, and in the end, there are very ways to distribute and view it.

The great thing about shooting RAW is that you can go back five years from now (if ProPhoto catches on) and export into that space  :)

Hi mackguyver,

Thanks for all the info about this.  It was really helpful.  Now I just have to put it into practice. :)

Flickr

btaoka

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
Does anyone have a good workflow from RAW files to large prints (i.e. 16x20, 20x30, 24x36, etc...)?  I'm shooting from a Canon 6D and am using Lightroom 5/Photoshop CC to do post processing.  I am using a 2009 iMac.  Are colorimeters really necessary (I don't really want to spend ~$100 just to calibrate my screen)?

As for scaling to sizes larger than the 6D's native, I use On One's "Perfect Resize 7.5".  It looks a bit better than CS5 or LR.  I have not tried CC.

Hi CarlTN,

I've never heard of "Perfect Resize 7.5".  I will look into that as well!
+1 on Perfect Resize - it's by far the best for the money - the $50 stand-alone version is all you need - though CC's resize feature is catching up, but not quite there yet for major enlargements.

Flickr

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »
Does anyone have a good workflow from RAW files to large prints (i.e. 16x20, 20x30, 24x36, etc...)?  I'm shooting from a Canon 6D and am using Lightroom 5/Photoshop CC to do post processing.  I am using a 2009 iMac.  Are colorimeters really necessary (I don't really want to spend ~$100 just to calibrate my screen)?

As for scaling to sizes larger than the 6D's native, I use On One's "Perfect Resize 7.5".  It looks a bit better than CS5 or LR.  I have not tried CC.
+1 on Perfect Resize - it's by far the best for the money - the $50 stand-alone version is all you need - though CC's resize feature is catching up, but not quite there yet for major enlargements.

I bought the whole OnOne package, and honestly I do like all of it.  I guess a lot of the features are similar to other third party software (such as alien skin, etc.)...but it even has a dedicated portrait editing suite.  I'm no expert there, but it seemed to work fine.  The Effects suite though, is quite fun to use, and will open in LR.  I don't use it a lot, but it did a superb job...even mind-blowing, especially on one of my prints that I had done on endura metallic paper.

How much better is CC than LR 5, overall?

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 03:45:45 AM »

Hi CarlTN,

I've never heard of "Perfect Resize 7.5".  I will look into that as well!

Hi there, and welcome to Canon Rumors Forum!

Perhaps you know of it by its older name, "genuine fractals".  I wish they hadn't changed it, that was a far cooler name!  I guess they'll change the name again to something like "nice size" or something even more lame, haha.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 03:45:45 AM »