September 02, 2014, 12:20:53 AM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 21048 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »
<p>We’re not sure whether or not we’ll post the rest of the internal documents we have in our possession. If you think there’s value in us doing so, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20341.0">please sound off in our forum</a>.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
[/html]

This is a little like the "friend" that has info about your wife's infidelity and is happy to tell you he has the info, but not sure he wants to actually tell you.

Get serious CR Guy, either you have the info, or you don't, you decide with advice from your legal counsel to share the info, or don't.

There's no question anyone that's ever owned a piece of Canon gear wouldn't want this info.

Basically it's called "piss or get off the pot", the whole basis of your starting a thread on this is demeaning, to you.

Well said. If CR does not publish this info I will feel totally let down. Besides why is the site taking itself so seriously? If it publishes known information, what is the issue? I sometimes wonder if CR is even looked at by Canon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »
Strange that we suddenly have quite a few first time posters asking the documents to be published or claiming that they've had problems with their gear. :-\ :-X

I do not find an issue with that.

Marhal

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2014, 12:56:48 AM »
Release it all.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:10 AM »
Information wants to be free.

Release it.

But also make sure that you keep copies of it somewhere else (Europe somewhere?) so that in the event of Canon hitting you with a court order, all is not lost.

Canon charge a premium for products that bear their name - if they want to continue doing that then they need to show customers more respect and one way of doing that is being more open with information.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2014, 01:27:39 AM »
Man up and Snowden the sh*t out of the documents.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2014, 01:54:16 AM »
Unfortunately,  some people can see things differently than others.  Its not clear cut as to the definition of a design flaw.  If a product does not work forever, is it because of a design flaw? 

Is it a design flaw if a product only reliably works to 0F, not -20F.  It may occasionally work below 0F, but the company does not guarantee that.

Stickman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2014, 03:43:58 AM »
Any reason why you would not tell us? I am a member of this forum under the impression that you tell us all you know.

Probably because there is money involved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2014, 03:43:58 AM »

Pelican

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »
Please share it!
Or send it to me in private if you afraid Canon's response.

intuition

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2014, 04:01:05 AM »
Not really sure I can see the unethical in
"my out of warranty autofocus failed" -> replace part and charge"
vs
"my out of warranty autofocus fails in cold weather" -> replace part, acknowledge goodwill action and charge nothing

If they charge for repairs in both cases, then I can understand the calls for unethical, but making sure the customer really is affected before doing goodwill repairs is not a very strange policy.

Publishing a bulk of documents would lead to a number of claims for warranty/goodwill repairs of equipment that is working perfectly. A lot of people will claim they have observed the issues to get a free repair "just in case".

There must be a better way to use this knowledge than to publish.

mikenott

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:23 AM »
I think you should make them available to Forum members only. They may contain useful information that explains why certain things happen and disabuse/confirm conspiracy theories.

Mountaineer

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
Hi,

Please post all information available, I think this is very valuable to all of us struggling with design flaws etc.
Recently this winter I shot some spots competitions and felt that too many of my pics shot with the 1DX were soft. Now I have the impression that my camera might be affected and I have better arguments to talk to my Canon reps.

Also I struggle to get my 24-70 II repaired. It is terribly unsharp to the right third when focussed to infinity, just ridiculous. Sent it in twice to CPS with sample pics and all I got back was a lens with the message it would be within specs from Canon. But the quality of the pics is awful, the old 24-70 which I still own is better than the new one! 2000 Euros wasted?! Anyone else with this problem, btw?

So again, please share all the information.
Many thanks!

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
Strange that we suddenly have quite a few first time posters asking the documents to be published or claiming that they've had problems with their gear. :-\ :-X

I do not find an issue with that.
I find it highly suspicious.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2014, 08:12:57 AM »
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2014, 08:12:57 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »
You may also want to get legal advice on this.

Until you do, best course of action is to use the material that you have as source material and repeat/repost nothing as found in the material that you have. Canon could most likely claim copyright over various portions of the material, including the picture of springs for the lens on the front page, in which case they would be entitled to execute a DMCA takedown against the image.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »
Yesterday we posted an internal service advisory for the Canon EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C. These are advisories that are only known to a select few within Canon and not told to the consumers.

We have a lot of more of these documents that cover various Canon lenses and camera bodies, there’s even more on the EOS-1D X mirrorbox.

The person that sent them to us didn’t have an issue with Canon keeping this stuff internal. However, they were upset that a lot of the issues are known to Canon and they’re still charging customers for the repairs out of warranty. There are a couple of lenses with design flaws and Canon is charging $250-$450 for these repairs out of warranty and not fully disclosing the design flaw to the customer.

We’re not sure whether or not we’ll post the rest of the internal documents we have in our possession. If you think there’s value in us doing so, please sound off in our forum

cr

With the last sentence it sounds like you are blatantly bating people to generate more site traffic and have no intention to post anything. It is also worth noting that since the post, you have not followed up. If you were seeking the possible pro's and con's, then I would have expected you to contribute. You haven't, which again leads me back to the 1st point.

I understand the response from many people who are worried about their investment having a flaw or known issue. Part of me would be similar, especially if I knew the equipment may fail at a decisive moment, even more so when it costs thousands of pounds. The problem, as stated, is that many people would indeed try to pre-empt such a problem and unless the internal documents highlight the % impact, then you cause a storm of requests to Canon for a very small issue.

Frankly, whereas you intentions may have been honourable, this thread comes across as manipulation.

I concur with the conclusion of one of the other posters. Provide the info anonymously to your local authority. Providing it to media I think would just result in further exploitation to increase publicity.

Speak about class action is indeed what would make any website owner be incredibly reticent to publish such information.

Finally, I think what would be helpful is indeed to start a new section about actual faults / repairs by model in this site. People can post their problems, see if others concur it as a fault or corroborate based on their own equipment. That would be a useful outcome IMHO. A thread per equipment with sticky post with stats of fault issues (unsharp glass, back/front focus etc) allows people to see problems, but of course would only be useful if those people who *dont* have the problems also post likewise.
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »