September 23, 2014, 12:50:42 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF600mm f/4 IS USM II lens  (Read 740 times)

Mark

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Canon EF600mm f/4 IS USM II lens
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »
I recently bought this lens.  Canon Professional Services recommends shutting the Image Stabilization OFF when tripod mounted.  The lens instruction manual is vague, stating that IS sometimes helps when tripod mounted.  I read on another online forum that the IS senses when the lens is tripod mounted and compensates for such.  My own tests were inconclusive in that some tripod mounted images with the IS turned on were sharper, while other images with the IS turned off were sharper.  Does anyone have and feedback on this?   Thanks.  Mark W.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EF600mm f/4 IS USM II lens
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF600mm f/4 IS USM II lens
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
You're right, the manual is quite vague. Most Canon IS lenses sense when the camera/lens is tripod-mounted and disable the IS system.  The supertele lenses go a step further, on a tripod a secondary IS mode is activated that compensates for mirror slap and shutter vibration at certain shutter speeds. 

I did a 'quick and dirty' test of this some time back, and saw no difference with IS on vs. off for tripod shooting.  Results are in a series of posts starting here (scroll down for results from the 600 II). 

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16494.msg304866#msg304866

A key point is that when using IS, you need to let the system operate for a brief period before taking the shot, else you'll get variable results.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
For what it's worth - I have the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS.
At the beginning of the year I turned my IS off as it appears to be playing up, bet that is going to cost a bit to fix! So, now, 4 full months after turning it off the only difference I have observed is that the AF locks on faster making my setup even more responsive - well that's a problem I can live with!
I would suggest you turn the IS off unless you know shutter speeds are going to be low - then it can be really useful! I have now turned off the IS on all my lenses and am liking the snappier initial AF - but I still have IS in reserve.

Mark

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies and link to your test shots, which I examined.  I did an informal test today, 600mm lens mounted on a heavy tripod, mirror lock-up, identical exposure but with IS on and IS off.  Again, the results were not absolutely conclusive, but in approximately two thirds of the test shots the images taken with the IS turned on appear slightly sharper.  I plan to continue to explore this, the lens was so expensive I want to learn how to take full advantage of it's potential.  Are there any other Canon forums someone can suggest on which I could also post this query?

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:15:52 AM »
Is there any "shutter time boundary" above which is recommendable to turn IS off or at least it has no effect any more? Like everything shorter than 1/1000 s. I was wondering that when I was shooting sport with something around 1/2000 s. Has IS any kind of effect at these speeds? What do you think?

I'm not speaking specifically for 600 f/4 lens, but for any lens which has IS mode.

luckydude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
For moon pictures I had no luck using stabilization, had to go to live view and remote release.

On the other hand, this was with stabilization just an hour ago outside my back door, not sure if it helped.
Jpeg straight from the camera, cropped, no other post.

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/hawk+snake.jpg

600mm II 1.4x III 5DIII so if you don't like it then blame me, the equipment is fine :)

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
Is there any "shutter time boundary" above which is recommendable to turn IS off or at least it has no effect any more? Like everything shorter than 1/1000 s. I was wondering that when I was shooting sport with something around 1/2000 s. Has IS any kind of effect at these speeds? What do you think?

I'm not speaking specifically for 600 f/4 lens, but for any lens which has IS mode.

I have read that Canon IS has no effect at shutter speeds faster than 1/500 sec - but this is anecdotal so no guarantees. I can say, from personal experience, that hand holding my 800mm works just fine without IS at 1/500 sec or maybe a little less.
As I mentioned in my previous post I have now turned off the IS on all my (IS capable) lenses and only turn it on when necessary - I find this works better for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »