August 01, 2014, 08:39:16 PM

Author Topic: Live Coverage of the Announcement  (Read 11893 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Live Coverage of the Announcement
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »

Two Red Dot Cameras?

People are commenting on the red dot on the C300 image below, but it also appears on the EOS DSLR camera in the image. No idea what’s up with that for the moment.

ISO Performance #3

A Sam Nicholson film is showing, and the noise from the previous film isn’t showing in this one.

ISO Performance #2

The 2nd short film they’re showing is noticeably noisier.

Breathtaking ISO Performance

Filmmakers and the audience are commenting about how clean, sharp and beautiful the example short films are. The lowlight performance may be revolutionary.

Canon EOS C300

It looks like 3 new compact primes and 2 zoom lenses. Can be mounted on the new Cinema EOS camera as well as Canon EOS DSLRs. 

14:44 I’m told (@GoForJared) the new camera is called the EOS C 300, and not the previously reported EOS 300C.

Live from Hollywood

A few places on the web will be doing some live blogging of the event in Hollywood.

Mitch @ Planet5D is there.

http://blog.planet5d.com/liveblog/

Engadget will also be there.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/the-canon-hollywood-event-liveblog/

I will be continually updating a post here as new information and imagery comes about.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Live Coverage of the Announcement
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »

seanmcr6

Re: Live Coverage of the Announcement
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
Hmmm, so is this isn't a PL mount then? So Canon has made "PL" glass with an EOS mount....and it's a single chip sensor...interesting.

Waiting for MORE info....I hate liveblogs, they take TOO LONG!! xD

Cooljoe57

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
"Availability: Jan. 2012; Price: appx. $16,000 USD (for C300)"

More info can be found here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/canon-eos/canon-usa-announces-cinema-eos-c300-and-eos-c300-pl-cameras.html

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/canon-eos/canon-usa-announces-cinema-eos-c300-and-eos-c300-pl-cameras.html

Pretty extensive article on DV info.  I don't know how they gleaned so much info without a press release or anything, but there it is. 4k sensor, but only 1080p/30 output onto CF cards at 50Mb/s.
NO AF or AE,  interestingly, so Canon is isolating big time prosumers and wedding videographers who can't do another take if they mess up the focus.

Orangutan

• 6D
    • View Profile
Observations
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
  • So that's where Canon's lens development has been focused (ahem!) lately.
  • This makes me wonder if Canon might actually be willing to develop a MF camera and lens line.

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »
Quick!  Someone give me $20,000 so I can afford the camera and a lens!

hmmm...no takers...

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
Anyone else notice that the camera on the left in the group shot of all the new stuff is not the same as the C300 and it's NOT a 5D?  And has the same little light on it as the C300...Another cam on the way?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »

Cooljoe57

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
Anyone else notice that the camera on the left in the group shot of all the new stuff is not the same as the C300 and it's NOT a 5D?  And has the same little light on it as the C300...Another cam on the way?

Whoa you're right. Almost looks like some sort of DSLR mix.

Zuuyi

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
I'll take a 5D-C (In response to secondary camera with Red/Purple C on it).  Seriously I want a new camera between 1200 and maybe 6900.  Sorry I don't want a 1dX or a c300.  Give me a 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9D.  Something that your DSLR base might actually think of buying.  Not just niche market products.

At this point a 70D would be a welcome change.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »

That'll be the 5D3... they'll announce it at the end as "oh, and just one more thing...".... woohoo bornshooter was right!!!

KitH

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
hats doffed sir! and if I'm not mistaken that does look like pentaprism upon it. mythical 5diii ?

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
These people don't have a clue. Once again we are given a consumer form factor. ZacutoRock will be happy -- they will sell a lot of cages, shoulder mount kits, etc.

Take a look at an Alexa or an Aaton 16mm film camera, among others. The view finder needs to up-front by the lens mount. The body shape is wrong, you need to be able to sit the camera on your shoulder, with-out add-ons.

Meh!!!

Zuuyi

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »

That'll be the 5D3... they'll announce it at the end as "oh, and just one more thing...".... woohoo bornshooter was right!!!

My thought exactly.  It looks like a standard DSLR; and they are going to say hey by the way we have the 5d-C have fun with that Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »

Bob Howland

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »

Pretty extensive article on DV info.  I don't know how they gleaned so much info without a press release or anything, but there it is. 4k sensor, but only 1080p/30 output onto CF cards at 50Mb/s.
NO AF or AE,  interestingly, so Canon is isolating big time prosumers and wedding videographers who can't do another take if they mess up the focus.

The sensor isn't actually 4K, it's QFHD (3840x2160), slightly (very slightly) smaller than true 4K. The lack of AF and AE is perfectly normal for a PL camera but really weird for an EF camera and, at $16,000, this doesn't qualify as disposable like the 5D2 is. Like you said, it's really poorly suited for fast-moving documentary photography, whatever the subject.

Rhetorical question: how long until Canon introduces the next camera in this line?

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »

My thought exactly.  It looks like a standard DSLR; and they are going to say hey by the way we have the 5d-C have fun with that Nikon.
Or it could be a 1DX just rebadged to fit the "cinema" theme?  I'm wildly hopeful that it would be a 5D3, but I somehow would have thought CR guy would have leaked it; however, considering how little was released about this C300, Canon could easily sneak another thing in.

The sensor isn't actually 4K, it's QFHD (3840x2160), slightly (very slightly) smaller than true 4K. The lack of AF and AE is perfectly normal for a PL camera but really weird for an EF camera and, at $16,000, this doesn't qualify as disposable like the 5D2 is. Like you said, it's really poorly suited for fast-moving documentary photography, whatever the subject.

Rhetorical question: how long until Canon introduces the next camera in this line?
My mistake; I noticed that as well, but I pretty much took the Dvinfo article and copied the first things I saw.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:16:25 PM by coltsfreak18 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »