December 08, 2016, 06:58:01 PM

Author Topic: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens  (Read 74161 times)

Rudeofus

• Rebel T6i
Re: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »
In other communities I participate in, we have established relationships with various members of the manufacturers such that engineers (in some cases the LEAD engineer) come and share their data with us.  They participate in the forums to the point that they even allow us to question their data, results, conclusions, etc.  Sometimes the data agrees with our outside anecdotes or even controlled testing.  Sometimes not.  I think it would be great if we had Canon, Sigma, Tokina, etc. engineers participate here or at least somewhere.  Chuck is a good start, but truthfully, he gets beat up A LOT whenever I've seen him appear.  He's also a tech rep, not an actual engineer.  And my sense on this forum, so far, is that some here would not be able to play like grown ups.  That happened to one manufacturer on one of the forums I'm talking about and they left the discussion and forum altogether.

That is what is most telling of Sigma, Canon, ... if an acknowledged reviewer reports about a test failure, I would expect any credible manufacturer to pick up a phone, contact the reviewer and try to sort out the problems. If you know Simon Galley from Ilford (mostly on APUG), that's the kind of response I would expect, and his presence is greatly appreciated there and has given a lot of credibility to Ilford's product. Sigma and Canon prefer to hold their ears shut and sing "la la we hear nothing!!", and I am not sure that this kind of behavior is beneficial to their reputation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
Has anyone received a notice yet that it has shipped from B&H?
It should be just around the corner. They have started shipping in Norway and I would assume B&H were higher on Sigma's priority list. I should get mine next week. Really looking forward to it.
Canonite and Zeissoholic ...

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
I bought mine today, super exciting ! Will have it my hands on Wednesday or Tuesday .

I bought from the webshop so I can test it for 14 days and return if rubbish.
1dx, Zeiss 21 f2.8, 35 L II, 200 f2.0 L, Profoto B1.

Pag

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
Sigma should give a cut of the profits to Zeiss. If the Otus didn't exist, people would look at the new Sigma 50mm and think "It's really nice, but a lot more expensive than the Canon 50mm f/1.4. Is the difference really worth it?". Now though, people look at this lens and think "Wow! This lens is almost as good as a $4000 lens and for just a quarter of the price. What a bargain!" Sigma is going to sell way more copies of this lens because the Otus exists  :P

SoullessPolack

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
Sigma should give a cut of the profits to Zeiss. If the Otus didn't exist, people would look at the new Sigma 50mm and think "It's really nice, but a lot more expensive than the Canon 50mm f/1.4. Is the difference really worth it?". Now though, people look at this lens and think "Wow! This lens is almost as good as a $4000 lens and for just a quarter of the price. What a bargain!" Sigma is going to sell way more copies of this lens because the Otus exists  :P

Well, yeah, obviously.  That's how smart businesses work: they know the quality and advantages another company has, and use it to their own advantage.  Why should they give a cut to Zeiss?  This isn't a communist country.

candc

• 5DSR
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
One of the earlier reviews (ir/slrgear) points out that the sigma traded a bit of sharpness for higher micro contrast and that even though the otus had slightly higher resolution on the charts that the sigma looked sharper to the eye. They said that they would go with the sigma even if both lenses cost the same.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1677/cat/30

I learned from a discussion on another thread that the canon 50 f/1.2 has really nice bokeh due to that being a primary factor in its design. Apparently some spherical aberration was designed in for that. The canon probably has more consistant af? I would like to see some real world samples comparing the canon and sigma because for me the choice would be between those two lenses and not the otus, even if they all cost the same.

Terrierist

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »
Hope mine comes soon...  I ordered on 4-11 and no word yet from B+H
I ordered mine bright and early from B&H on the morning of 4-11.  Just received an email this morning that it was not yet in stock and they would keep me posted.  :(
Canon 7D w/15-85IS: 5DIII w/ 35f/2 IS, 85f1.8 135f/2.0L, 400f/5.6L w/1.4EX III, 70-300f/4-5.6L, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VR, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »

Viggo

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »
Seems like us in Norway were lucky, I want even on a pre order list, but it was many available that I could simply but one. Strange BH haven't received them yet..

zlatko

• 5D Mark III
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:14 AM »
I learned from a discussion on another thread that the canon 50 f/1.2 has really nice bokeh due to that being a primary factor in its design. Apparently some spherical aberration was designed in for that. The canon probably has more consistant af? I would like to see some real world samples comparing the canon and sigma because for me the choice would be between those two lenses and not the otus, even if they all cost the same.

I too would like to see a comparison of those two lenses -- for overall rendering of various subjects.  The Canon 50/1.2L has been my main 50 for a long time and I love the way it draws.  It is simply beautiful.  The new Sigma is interesting and no doubt sharper wide open, but will it draw as beautifully?  I'm not sure I'd want to carry the bigger & heavier Sigma for the extra sharpness alone.

As for autofocus, the 50/1.2L really benefits from the improved AF of Canon's top-end cameras (currently the 1DX or 5DIII).  It is a better autofocusing lens with the 5DIII than it was with the 5DII.  And it is a better autofocusing lens with the 5DIII than with the 6D.

The Otus is will likely prove to be the best 50 for a DSLR.  But due to size, weight, price and manual focus, the Otus will not be a practical alternative for most photographers.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:26:38 AM by zlatko »

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
I find it weird that there is only 1 shop in Norway that have the lens in stock. When I preordered they said they will begin shipping next month.. Maybe this afternoon I will receive the lens, if the norwegian postal doesn't screw up with its delivery. They're notoriously known for their long delivery times.

Viggo

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:59 AM »
I find it weird that there is only 1 shop in Norway that have the lens in stock. When I preordered they said they will begin shipping next month.. Maybe this afternoon I will receive the lens, if the norwegian postal doesn't screw up with its delivery. They're notoriously known for their long delivery times.

Ordered from FotoVideo on Saturday and still haven't received tracking number and confirmation that it has been sent yet, so combine that with the slowness of "Posten" and we're looking at Friday instead of Tuesday.

sdsr

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »

The Otus is will likely prove to be the best 50 for a DSLR. 

Sure, if you can conjure up the rather limited range of circumstances in which a manual lens can be made to work well on a dslr.   In the highly unlikely event I ever acquired one I would used it on a mirrorless camera instead so that I could take advantage of the in-viewfinder focus peaking and magnification that make manual lenses fairly easy to use.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
The Otus is will likely prove to be the best 50 for a DSLR. 
Sure, if you can conjure up the rather limited range of circumstances in which a manual lens can be made to work well on a dslr.   

+1

Also, you'd better have an appropriate focusing screen installed (not the stock one) if you plan to focus through the VF and shoot at wider apertures. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

Ordered from FotoVideo on Saturday and still haven't received tracking number and confirmation that it has been sent yet, so combine that with the slowness of "Posten" and we're looking at Friday instead of Tuesday.
Got mine from Japanphoto (Norwegian mail order) today :) No time to try it before the weekend though.
Canonite and Zeissoholic ...

razeac

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
Mine has arrived. I just received an sms and its ready to be picked up. I'm not home yet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »