October 22, 2014, 08:31:33 AM

Author Topic: Final shopping list for tomorrow..  (Read 14171 times)

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
Re: Final shopping list for tomorrow..
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
I keep my lowepro bag when I need to carry a lot of gear and cant bring the pelican, but travel and any professional event, my pelican is my go-to case.

How does the Pelican 1510 do for backcountry hiking or walking through an urban setting?  :P

Actually, I have a Peliacan-Storm im2500 (the Storm equivalent of the Pelican 1510, i.e. airline carry-on hard case).  The problem I had with just a hard case for travel is what you do with the case when you get there, i.e. how do you walk around with your gear?  A little inconvenient to drag the hard case around.  My solution was to remove the padded divider system from the Storm case, put the gear in the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, and put the Lowepro backpack inside the Storm case.  Sturdy, lockable protection for travel (also handy if you're forced to check you bag for whatever reason), plus the convenience of a backpack when I get where I'm going...
he said he uses the pelican for travel and events. i assume for travel he means by flying which totally makes sense to have a pelican and you pack a smaller bag for when you get there for your daily needs.and for event photography nothing wrong with a pelican there again makes total sense to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »

mreco99

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
Wow! I wish I had your bank account, dude!

It looks like you're going to have a very nice day tomorrow, and into the future, with your amazing new kit!

Enjoy it!
Thanks, its been a long time coming, yea will be like a kid in a toy shop.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 05:50:18 PM »
I keep my lowepro bag when I need to carry a lot of gear and cant bring the pelican, but travel and any professional event, my pelican is my go-to case.

How does the Pelican 1510 do for backcountry hiking or walking through an urban setting?  :P

Actually, I have a Peliacan-Storm im2500 (the Storm equivalent of the Pelican 1510, i.e. airline carry-on hard case).  The problem I had with just a hard case for travel is what you do with the case when you get there, i.e. how do you walk around with your gear?  A little inconvenient to drag the hard case around.  My solution was to remove the padded divider system from the Storm case, put the gear in the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, and put the Lowepro backpack inside the Storm case.  Sturdy, lockable protection for travel (also handy if you're forced to check you bag for whatever reason), plus the convenience of a backpack when I get where I'm going...
he said he uses the pelican for travel and events. i assume for travel he means by flying which totally makes sense to have a pelican and you pack a smaller bag for when you get there for your daily needs.and for event photography nothing wrong with a pelican there again makes total sense to me.

To be honest I dont do much backcountry hiking and shooting, even though I should because of where I live, it's just one of those things where that's not where I make my money, commercial is... If I'm flying, if i'm meeting clients, if I'm away from home, if i'm at a shoot, my pelican is usually with me... If i'm on the go, at an event, if i'm out with the family doing whatever and I need lots of gear for god know what reason, then the lowepro it is... But usually in that event I usually have a feel of what I need and bring only what I know I'm going to need (less is more)... As i said, it's bulky and a pain in the butt in some situations, but in the end of the day I know I could endure some catastrophic event and my gear will be good to go.  When I used to shoot 4x5 large format in the studio, we would have our beefy Bogen tripods in sometimes awkward angles and you need to be behind the glass with a lupe to check focus... we'd use pelican cases as step stools so we could get behind the glass enough to check focus.  I love 'em.  =)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:03:03 PM by awinphoto »
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »
I have a 5D Mk II, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II, Sigma 12-24 (First gen), Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 (first gen non-IS), 90mm TS-E, 2x Extender II,  a couple of flashes, etc.

Your list looks really good, but I would strongly suggest you consider Sigma's 12-14 over Canon's 17-40. You can get some mental shots up close at 12mm and of course it's great for landscapes.

I shot this timelapse at 12mm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hn4VRi6gpw

6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

Picsfor

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
ok, all looks very nice, but then i have pretty much the same set up already with a few exceptions.

i have a second 5D2. I have a 430ExII and 580ExII and a tripod.

But my other big change is the 70-200. I realise it's an f2.8, but i've recently got the 70-300 L, and talk about sharp!

I've done away with the 2x converter and also selling my 70-200 f4 IS L, because the 70-300 L is just so compact in my bag, so easy to hold on the camera - and it has that extra length. How good is that extra length?

Well, i recently stood on the ground and took some shots of family on a balcony 36 floors up in the air.
No, they were not little dots, they were clearly recognisable and so were the expressions in their faces etc.

That's more than enough length for me.

Did i mention it will save you enough dosh to pay for a flash gun or tripod (or both)?

Happy shopping...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
I love 'em.

Me, too.  Especially yellow ones. Obviously.

Except for the im2500, I don't really use them for travel. But in a house with two toddlers, the protection during storage gives me some piece of mind (especially since they changed their former gaurantee statement to be proper and boring - the old one specifically excluded damage caused by shark bite, bear attack, and children under five - and no, I'm not kidding, it was on their website!).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
Tremendous envy about your shopping trip tomorrow.  Best wishes for the fun you will have in the coming months with your new gear!
1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »
I love 'em.

Me, too.  Especially yellow ones. Obviously.

Except for the im2500, I don't really use them for travel. But in a house with two toddlers, the protection during storage gives me some piece of mind (especially since they changed their former gaurantee statement to be proper and boring - the old one specifically excluded damage caused by shark bite, bear attack, and children under five - and no, I'm not kidding, it was on their website!).

That's great advice... my daughter is 4 and wants to play with Daddy's camera whenever she can get her hands on it!   Nice advice on putting the backpack into the pelican for travel... I will definitely be following your lead on that one, thanks.  I have a number of bags and most are Kata... very good quality although I don't think anyone else mentioned them.

mreco99

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 04:14:28 AM »
I have a 5D Mk II, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II, Sigma 12-24 (First gen), Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 (first gen non-IS), 90mm TS-E, 2x Extender II,  a couple of flashes, etc.

Your list looks really good, but I would strongly suggest you consider Sigma's 12-14 over Canon's 17-40. You can get some mental shots up close at 12mm and of course it's great for landscapes.

Hi,
I cant see a 12-14 sigma, but i can see a 12-24 sigma, the iq doesnt look too great on the ISO charts though?
Great time lapse vid by the way.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:25:08 AM by mreco99 »

mreco99

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 04:24:00 AM »
ok, all looks very nice, but then i have pretty much the same set up already with a few exceptions.

i have a second 5D2. I have a 430ExII and 580ExII and a tripod.

But my other big change is the 70-200. I realise it's an f2.8, but i've recently got the 70-300 L, and talk about sharp!

I've done away with the 2x converter and also selling my 70-200 f4 IS L, because the 70-300 L is just so compact in my bag, so easy to hold on the camera - and it has that extra length. How good is that extra length?

Well, i recently stood on the ground and took some shots of family on a balcony 36 floors up in the air.
No, they were not little dots, they were clearly recognisable and so were the expressions in their faces etc.

That's more than enough length for me.

Did i mention it will save you enough dosh to pay for a flash gun or tripod (or both)?

Happy shopping...
Good call, the 70-300L was very tempting over the 70-200 mk2. You get space saving, extra length, good cost saving (especially as i wouldnt get the 2x MK3 converter), and the IQ looks excellent. I could still be swayed to get 70-300L instead!!!
70-200mk2 has in its favour f2.8 option all the way, fixed length, and will take the converter to 400mm (albeit at the expense of f5.6 at the end)
Apparently you can get a 2xconverter for the 70-300L (3rd party) but i havent seen the results or the loss of light, i cant imagine its going to be that usable.

I figured, get the 70-200mk2 now, then if it doesnt work out, sell it and get the 70-300L probably for no  extra cash. If i dont get it now i probably never will.

Comparing the 70-200mk2 at 400mm and the 100-400canon at 400 is a useful excersice, the 100-400 even though 12+ years old still is better than using the 2xmk3 converter. Let hope the converter doesnt make the images unusable.

I will keep my 450D for now, and want to see how that fairs with the 70-200 with the 2x converter (assuming itll fit!)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:54:33 AM by mreco99 »

JackSw1ss

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 06:27:52 AM »

Great qulity on that TL, nice job mate!
I'v tried the sigma 12-24 myself...wow, that wide FL is phenomenal...and I'm on crop LOL.
Dunno about the IQ, if it can compete with the canon glass but hey, when I tried it looked impressive.

Speaking of timelapses, here's one to see how a 16mm looks both on FOV and IQ on a crop (so what you'd see on your 60D).
some shots are with the 70-200 but you'll figure it out what are the UW shots.
Let me show off a bit ahah  ;D
Cant wait to put it on my pretty near future 5D purchase LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO7yKpYPuFw

Off course, watch it in 1080p... ;) makes it justice to the quality effort.
Wish I had that 12mm FL on this project I made...Cant really wait for the FF to arrive...16mm on FF is what I'm looking for...even if also the 14 prime is my dream oohhh well...too much money
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:39:08 AM by JackSw1ss »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »
Good call, the 70-300L was very tempting

I have been tempted by the 70-300 L, despite having both the 70-200 II (with both 1.4x and 2x TCs) and the 100-400.  The 70-300 would make a nice compromise for weight-limited travel.  But if I had to pick only one of the three, it would be the 70-200/2.8 II, no doubt.

Comparing the 70-200mk2 at 400mm and the 100-400canon at 400 is a useful excersice, the 100-400 even though 12+ years old still is better than using the 2xmk3 converter. Let hope the converter doesnt make the images unusable.

I will keep my 450D for now, and want to see how that fairs with the 70-200 with the 2x converter (assuming itll fit!)

Yes, that's not surprising.  A native lens will almost always beat a lens + TC.   But the world isn't made of ISO 12233 charts - the 70-200 II + 2x definitely produces usable results.  It will work fine on your 450D, too.  I use the combo on my 7D when I need weather sealing, since the 100-400mm lacks a lens mount gasket.

Here are a couple samples with the 70-200 + 2x II, on 5DII and 7D (click for lightbox, from there View All Sizes gets you a 1600x1067 version, if you like).

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM + EF 2x II Extender @ 260mm, 1/250 s, f/5.6, ISO 400

EOS 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM + EF 2x II Extender @ 400mm, 1/160 s, f/5.6, ISO 3200
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 07:22:24 AM »
Late to the game here but I rented the 70-300L for a trip recently and was quite happy with the result.  That is until I got to try the 70-200 2.8L IS II.  Yes the reach is more with the 70-300, but the IMO of the 70-200 is on a different planet!  The 70-200 2.8L IS II gives you prime lens equivalent quality - first time I see this from a zoom lens - amazing.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 07:22:24 AM »

niccyboy

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »
Good little shopping list. Well thought out..

A few notes you may want to think about:

1 - Extender - do you NEED 2x? Remember you will lose 2 stops of light, and your lightning fast 2.8 suddenly turns into a 5.6. The 1.4x mk3 is fantastic and you will only lose 1 stop. Obviously you know your needs not me, but worth remembering how much light you lose, I've also found in my personal usage that every 2x i've used has yielded less than ideal results. But i'm not an experienced birder like a lot of these forum members who use them frequently, mine was for photojournalism during some riots where i wanted some distance. I'm sure a lot of people have great results, but even in forum reading i see far more favourable reviews of the 1.4 over the 2x.

2 - Bags - Because you are carrying a fair bit of gear, be careful with backpacks, i find they can be a bit dicky with a lot of weight. I have about a zillion bags and hard cases (I use Vanguard hard cases vs Pelican... same quality and good price).
BUT i find the Lowepro Stealth Reporter series is great. You can quickly access lenses without picking up your bag and dropping things because your clasps werent done up. If it is for work (as you mentioned) stress gets to you and I have a habit of accidentally dropping the most expensive thing in reach when i get stressed.

3 - Primes - 50mm 1.2... an amazing lens. Very interestingly spoken about on forums, those that don't own them tend to slag them off yet those that have them love them. I ALWAYS have it mounted on one of my cameras.

4 - cf/battery - don't listen to the person who questioned the spare battery and the extra card... haha.... I have 6 memory cards, and still ordered more with CR guys post on Sandisk prices dropping, I have 8 batteries and still go close to running flat. When you spend almost every day shooting, or if it's imperative that you don't miss a shot you NEED spare batteries.
CF cards are another big thing too, if you are shooting on RAW a 16gb card doesn't last long. If i was you i'd pick up another while they are cheap... or grab a 32, I picked up 2 x 32gb 90mbs cards at BH

5 - UV filters - i know you have already discussed filters, but have you got uv filters to protect an accidental scratch on your beautiful big 77mm lenses? No point spending the money to put a dirty big scratch on it!

6 - Grip - i love my grip... amazing for shooting portrait, also brilliant for work as when you are on location and you are running out of juice you can throw some AA's in it to get you to the end. Definitely worth the money. Also with video it adds some weight to help you stay steady, as well as being great when shooting portrait.

I reckon since you are holding off on the ultrawide angle, if i was you I'd buy another memory card, a grip (generic with 2 batteries is about 70), and some UV filters....

Hope it helps....  I know how good the feeling is opening up a big box of goodies.

I'm going in to order my 28-300 tomorrow and i'm excited :)

mreco99

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and support.

Back home now, shopping all done.

Castle Cameras in Salisbury, UK were very helpful, good shop.

I got everything on the list, including free spare battery and 2 16gb 400x sandisk cards (one was free)
Also got a tamrac aero 85 backpack (reduced price)
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-tamrac-aerospeed-85-rust-rucksack/p1030179
Everything fits in well (except the hoods, they might have to go in the top part. And theres still room for the 16-35 eventually. I knew one thing the bag didnt have was a waterproof cover, will have to get a seperate one.

Writing this as the battery is STILL charging!!!........

(love the images with the 2x converter)

Maybe i should have waited till the 5Dmk3, but its done now, and i can stop checking 5 times a day to see if theres any news, this will have to last a while!!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:42:19 AM by mreco99 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »