August 22, 2014, 09:54:43 PM

Author Topic: Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x  (Read 2181 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
Email to Lexar didn't prove to be useful.  All they did was say there weren't aware of any problems with this card and offered to replace.

Given that google indexes forum posts the Lexar Compact Flash Failure should be of importance for them to fix in order to instill faith in their premium range to US the photographers !

Maybe someone needs to point out this thread to them and if we all add our piece it will gain higher ranking in google and get notice by somebody with a brain in Lexar  ;)

I'm glad you retrieved the images.  I just worked with Lexar Monday, I was not happy with the USB 3 dual slot reader I bought a little over a year ago.  They offered to exchange it, so I sent it in on Tuesday.  Its always possible that its the USB controller on my PC, whatever, it loses connectivity after a hour or two.

Fortunately, I didn't have a data issue, just have to unplug and re plug in the USB cable to bring it to life.  I went thru a whole host of  trial fixes first, but none worked.

I'll see if the replacement works ok.  If not, I might buy a add-in USB 3 card and see if that fixes it.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
Hey...I had the same CPF card fail for me....can't remember the error message I was getting whilst shooting..but my 5DIII was giving me a strange error message...butt....I could view the images in the camera on the card...so I thought everything was cool....but when I got home ....nothing.. ...Glad I had the SD card..saved my but...I just reshot stuff....as I was suspicious even though I could view the images on the LCD....
I even tried my iSky Soft Data recovery software.
http://www.iskysoft.com/data-recovery-mac

Has worked great for me in the past if I format the card or something stupid (duh)...it gets it all back for me!   ;D 
...but alas..It did not recover any images off of the failed Lexar..
 ....So whatever happened with the failure of the card I attribute to Lexar....
The card was not mishandled, always ejected..blah..blah....
I got in touch with them and sent it in and they sent me another card......No Charge...
I have never had that happen before.......my Sandisks have never failed.......At least mine was not something with super important images.....
....but just be careful if you ever get an error message (it had a number assoc.with it.. ...but I do not remember what the number was)...cause even if you can view them on the camera's LCD...you could be $hit out of luck!!!!!
From what Chris has told us..I believe that my card failure was similar in nature  to the type he had as my data recovery software did no work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:35:17 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Boyer U. Klum-Cey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »
Same happened to me on Tuesday night using the same Lexar card as yours.  Fortunately, I was shooting with two cameras, and retained more than the 30 images I need for the event on camera 2.  This is my first Lexar failure ever from the days of my 40D to present.  A bigg thank you to the authors of all the "build in redundancy" advice I have read on Canon Rumors.
All theories are wrong, but some are useful, eh?

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
In all my days using digital, I've used Sandisk with the exception of picking up a Lexar Pro 64gb 400x about a year and a half ago.  I'm very happy not to have lost data over the quirk it had but I did get it replaced.  See my thread here...http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20799.0
I'm now using the replacement which has been fine so far.  Talking to tech support, I was told it sounded like a sector issue.  I don't know about that and again, just glad I had a hint something might be up before losing photos. 
To the OP, I'm sorry to hear you had issues but glad you could recover them.  I'm hoping I don't jinx myself by bookmarking the recovery company but it's nice to know that should the worst ever happen, there is hope.  Thank you. 

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
Thanks for the report.  That's the same card I use in my 5D3.  No problems in over a year and a half, but this may prompt me to pop an SD card in the second slot for backup.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
As for a chip swap.. Good luck with that.  Even though a card may be the same, often their are tweaks in a generation, so two identical 32GB 1000x may have different internals.

Learned this the hard way.  Not with flash cards, but with flash drives... speaking of which, I back my USB drives regularly to my PC and even if functioning, after about 18 months, I toss and replace.

They run like a tank, even with daily use... until they fail.

chris haylett

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
I had a Lexar 32GB 1000x card fail awhile back and spoke with various people at Lexar about it. I had been using an older Sandisk FW800 card reader, as my MAC location laptop only had Firewire 800 and not USB3. Lexar, in no uncertain terms informed me that all their UDMA 7 cards must be downloaded using a UDMA 7 compliant card reader - they didn't care which brand, just UDMA 7. They said that using a non-UDMA card reader might not cause the card to fail immediately, but it will eventually - no if, and's or buts. They replaced my card N/C. I posted about this awhile back and got flamed by someone claiming to be an engineer, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is, Lexar themselves is saying this, not me. So, I don't know if the card reader really is/was the entire problem, but I'm sure not taking a chance. I'm using a new UDMA card reader and suffering with the slower transfer times as it's bottlenecking into the USB2 port, but better that than going against Lexar's directive and potentially wrecking a card and losing all my images. 

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »