October 31, 2014, 04:45:15 PM

Author Topic: Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x  (Read 4209 times)

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
About 2 weeks ago after a long shoot, my second shooter had a complete failure of a Lexar 32GB 1000x CF Card. The card had completely normal handling and had been used numerous times before without incident. For whatever reason, the controller chip on the card failed, which prevents all access to the card data. I found a company that specializes in "off-chip" data recovery where they pull the chips off and hook up to a NAND reader to pull the data. Unfortunately, this card is using a brand new chip for which no one seems to have the right socket to do this type of recovery. Has anyone else needed to do an off-chip recovery of this card? If so, I would REALLY appreciate knowing what company did it.

This isn't a request for recovery methods or software recommendations...it's a full hardware failure which requires specific equipment to read.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:05:52 PM by Chris Burch »
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

canon rumors FORUM

Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
Probably a longshot, but have you contacted Lexar?

Good luck!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
Probably a longshot, but have you contacted Lexar?

Good luck!

+1

Lexar may be interested in doing a forensic exam to find out why their chip failed in a premium product.  It could benefit both of you: they get info, you get your data back.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
Lexar has a lifetime warranty on their cards, so sending it to them is the way to go.  Of course, if someone has taken it apart, they may not be interested, as that for sure voids any warranty.

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
I'm not trying to get replacement -- trying to get the data off of the card. 

I asked about contacting Lexar and apparently these "sockets" are only used in data recovery, not something the manufacturers use.  So far the only place that seems to have it is some company in Russia that may not be all that reliable.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »
I'm not trying to get replacement -- trying to get the data off of the card. 

I asked about contacting Lexar and apparently these "sockets" are only used in data recovery, not something the manufacturers use.  So far the only place that seems to have it is some company in Russia that may not be all that reliable.

It is indeed a long shot, but it takes only a short time to contact Lexar.  If they don't do data recovery, they might be able to point you to a company that can deal with that particular card.

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »
Email to Lexar didn't prove to be useful.  All they did was say there weren't aware of any problems with this card and offered to replace.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:32 AM »
Email to Lexar didn't prove to be useful.  All they did was say there weren't aware of any problems with this card and offered to replace.

Sounds useful to me!
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »

Not a very useful response at all. If you can't find someone to do the recovery, the only thing I can think of is to buy an identical card and do a chip swap... but that requires some very specialized soldering/desoldering equipment and lots of skill/experience with that sort of thing.... I am surprised that Lexar can't do that....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »

Google for "drive recovery service" and "memory card recovery service."  Some of the hard drive recovery services also do memory devices.  If not, they should know who does.  Make sure to follow-up and search for additional info on individual businesses once you've determined that they can do the work.

And here's Sandisk's page on lost data: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/~/data-recovery-for-memory-cards-and-flash-drives, which refers to a recovery service.

Andrew Davies Photography

• Canon AE-1
  • Canon 5dmk3
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Davies Wedding Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 03:05:45 AM »

Given that google indexes forum posts the Lexar Compact Flash Failure should be of importance for them to fix in order to instill faith in their premium range to US the photographers !

Maybe someone needs to point out this thread to them and if we all add our piece it will gain higher ranking in google and get notice by somebody with a brain in Lexar  ;)
Canon 5Dmk3, 5Dmk2 x 2 , 35mm F2IS, 24mm F2.8IS, 24-105L , 70-200 F4L, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580exII x2

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 03:17:00 AM »
Given that google indexes forum posts the Lexar Compact Flash Failure should be of importance for them to fix in order to instill faith in their premium range to US the photographers !

Maybe someone needs to point out this thread to them and if we all add our piece it will gain higher ranking in google and get notice by somebody with a brain in Lexar  ;)

I very much doubt it. What do we really have here? One person who had a problem with one card. I have a few Lexar cards, including a 64GB 1066X, two 32GB 1000X and a few others and have never had a problem. I am sure there are many more like me on these forums as well. I am also sure that there are a few that have had problems, but that would apply to SanDisk, Transcend and other brands as well. Lexar sells millions of cards per year, but most of the time you would only ever hear about those cards that caused problems. I feel for the OP, and I hope he finds a solution but I really do not think this one thread is going to deter pros from buying Lexar. It doesn't me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:19:32 AM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Final Update:

The first company I sent the card to spent almost a month trying to find a socket to read the chips on this card.  I started calling around and found a different company, LC Technologies, who makes their own sockets and were optimistic about support the Lexar card.  The first company finally gave up and offered to send the card to LC Tech with only a minimal charge.  LC Tech received the card on a Monday and by Wednesday, already retrieved the data and had a USB drive in the mail.  In the end, there were only 18 photos with partial to full corruption out of 893 total shots.  I also card the Lexar card back with the removed chips, so I can return it for replacement.

I can't speak highly enough of LC Technologies (http://datarecovery.lc-tech.com/) and definitely recommend you use them if you need to recover data from a damaged card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
Final Update:

The first company I sent the card to spent almost a month trying to find a socket to read the chips on this card.  I started calling around and found a different company, LC Technologies, who makes their own sockets and were optimistic about support the Lexar card.  The first company finally gave up and offered to send the card to LC Tech with only a minimal charge.  LC Tech received the card on a Monday and by Wednesday, already retrieved the data and had a USB drive in the mail.  In the end, there were only 18 photos with partial to full corruption out of 893 total shots.  I also card the Lexar card back with the removed chips, so I can return it for replacement.

I can't speak highly enough of LC Technologies (http://datarecovery.lc-tech.com/) and definitely recommend you use them if you need to recover data from a damaged card.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost for the recovery?

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »
Glad things finally worked out, and thanx for sharing info on LC. I will keep them in mind if this happens to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »