April 21, 2014, 01:24:22 AM

Author Topic: Announcements in January & February [CR2]  (Read 8262 times)

psycho5

Re: Announcements in January & February [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
If 5 different prototypes are "out there" then at least one of the following is true:

(1) 5 variants of the 5Diii are being tested
(2) only a few 5Diii variants are being tested including an entry FF or one equal to the 7D but FF

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »
I think a formal announcement has to be made in order to qualify as vaporware.  Has Nikon said anything about the D800 yet?

I stand corrected.

I wouldn't be so confident about "knowing" what Canon is doing. I just watched a great presentation about Kodak (link can be found on another "rumors" site) and disruptive technology. I was struck by the parallels between what happened to film over the past 10-15 years and what is now happening to the camera market with cell phones.

I quite agree, not that I think that Canon are going to do anything too radical in 2012, they're far too big and conservative for that! All the camera makers (especially those without 'phone divisions) are desperately trying to figure out "what now" in the lower end of the market with cameraphones reaching the point where there will no longer be a market for seperate compact cameras .

Nikon's '1' system is an attempt to answer that question, but I'm struggling to see who they're trying to attract with that system because it's so expensive.  To be fair, who am I to question their decision, it's their money and they've obviously done the market research which must suggest that there are a lot of consumers who want a smaller interchangeable lens camera than either DSLRs or any of the previous 'compact system cameras' provided.
[Have we actually agreed an 'official' acronym for these cameras yet?!!!!]

Everyone's now waiting to see Canon's response; I'm not sure what we'll see -it could just be more (possibly smaller) 'Rebels'.  I think that this would be a mistake, not because I believe there is currently a huge market to be tapped for 'CSCs', but because I think that a lot of the technology incorporated in them is the future (for example: EVFs, on-chip phase detect AF); Canon needs to start getting more experience implementing these technologies in stills cameras.  The next Rebel may be the last of the old order as the whole of Canon's lower end line-up is starting to look a little under specified and compared to the competition. 

macfly

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 08:22:49 PM »
Could this mean that Canon are changing their minds and have decided to (or always intended to) produce a 1D Xs (or maybe a 1Ds X -for real Canon lovers!  ).

Well that would be wonderful for me, means I could stay with Canon.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
I am hoping one of the 5 FF prototypes out there is a mirrorless camera. Still hoping... :)

J. McCabe

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »
All the camera makers (especially those without 'phone divisions) are desperately trying to figure out "what now" in the lower end of the market with cameraphones reaching the point where there will no longer be a market for seperate compact cameras.

To take my dad as an example, he is well aware what the limitations of his expensive phone's camera, but he prefers to go with one mobile device (phone + phone book + calendar + camera + whatever) with him. It's representative of what I hear from many people.

Point being I find it hard to believe Canon make something that would make such people carry another device. Maybe an an ultra-efficient IS that would allow a pocket camera to take photos in poor lighting conditions, yet is un-integratable into a cameraphone.

[Or, maybe, a Canon cameraphone, or parts for a cameraphone. Doesn't Zeiss makes lenses for some brand(s) of cameraphones?]

Picsfor

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
maybe Canon are lining themselves up to produce cameras for tablets and phones.

Imagine an iPad5 with a Digic6 powering a nice quality lens, and with DPP supplied as an app.
What fun you could have with a 580EXIII operating as a wireless flash, and maybe a few more around for good measure.

Oh how simple that would make life. I'm off to ponder the endless possibilities of such a device (with 512gb on memory to cover a trip)

tt

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »
So the 18MP FF 1DX, replaces the 16MP 1D Mark IV and the 21MP 1Ds Mark III.

Seeing as the 5D Mark II is already a FF with 21 MP - Is there actually a way using the 1DX style newer sensor to actually get much above 21MP on the 5D Mark III? Will the 5D MkII just keep pushing the low light/larger pixel side?

Same goes with the 7D Mark II - at 18MP it was seemingly pushing the limit, for a cropped sensor, no? If it got a sensor upgrade, would it again be the 1-2stop low light inferior camera to the 5D Mark III, and bump the MP, or just stay at 18MP and get a better low light?

Does Canon give themselves some breathing room by giving the 650D a weak upgrade around March? the xxxD series has already been on 18MP for a while.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
I quite agree, not that I think that Canon are going to do anything too radical in 2012, they're far too big and conservative for that! All the camera makers (especially those without 'phone divisions) are desperately trying to figure out "what now" in the lower end of the market with cameraphones reaching the point where there will no longer be a market for seperate compact cameras .

Personally I think the correct response is just to focus more on the higher end market, P&S photography has just been devalued by mobile phones the same way CD's have been devalued by MP3's. The best way to exploit that shift is IMHO to play off the fact that more people taking pics means more will also look to get serious about it.

Nikon's '1' system is an attempt to answer that question, but I'm struggling to see who they're trying to attract with that system because it's so expensive.  To be fair, who am I to question their decision, it's their money and they've obviously done the market research which must suggest that there are a lot of consumers who want a smaller interchangeable lens camera than either DSLRs or any of the previous 'compact system cameras' provided.
[Have we actually agreed an 'official' acronym for these cameras yet?!!!!]

To me the Nikon's while they contain some interesting new tech were really designed(and maybe even priced) more to avoid taking sales from DSLR's than comsumer demand. Sales really don't seem that impressive going from Amazon either considering Nikon's strong fanbase are likely to buy early.

Everyone's now waiting to see Canon's response; I'm not sure what we'll see -it could just be more (possibly smaller) 'Rebels'.  I think that this would be a mistake, not because I believe there is currently a huge market to be tapped for 'CSCs', but because I think that a lot of the technology incorporated in them is the future (for example: EVFs, on-chip phase detect AF); Canon needs to start getting more experience implementing these technologies in stills cameras.  The next Rebel may be the last of the old order as the whole of Canon's lower end line-up is starting to look a little under specified and compared to the competition.

Personally I still think that the largest unexploited mirrorless market at the moment is something along the lines of the rumorued Fuji system, rangefinderish body with a selection of small primes.

If Canon do stick to DSLR's then I'd say looking to make some smaller high end bodies might be a good ideal with the Fuji and NEX7 around.

Mr.Magic

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DmkIII baby!
    • View Profile
    • Photography Dennis Hens
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
I'm hoping for:
- 5D3 with a higher resolution sensor (32 MP) = studio beast
- 9D with same sensor as the 1DX (18MP) = wedding/general FF beast

All the rest (600D or 70D or 7D) upgrade is less urgent I believe.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:34:21 AM by Mr.Magic »
5DIII | 24-70mm f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | 580EXII | 50mm f1.8

Drama79

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »
Guesswork here, but I'd say the 5D and a low end body are next. I can't see a need to update the 7 past the minor digic 5 refresh others have mentioned. There's no rush for it. Canon will be aware they can make a ton of cash from Olympics and other summer event coverage next year with a well timed mid price full frame refresh of the 5. I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later (as are the hundreds that post here), but I'd hazard  guess that a 7D refresh is last out of the door.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »

Personally I still think that the largest unexploited mirrorless market at the moment is something along the lines of the rumorued Fuji system, rangefinderish body with a selection of small primes.

If Canon do stick to DSLR's then I'd say looking to make some smaller high end bodies might be a good ideal with the Fuji and NEX7 around.

I problem I see with this statement is that, while it may hold in present company, the readers of CR are not a representative sample of the overall camera market.  For that reason, I have a question in my mind as to whether the niche for the "range finder form factor with a large(ish) sensor" may be too small.

While pros and enthusiasts can see the virtues of a system that provides a (relatively) high IQ in a small form factor, most people do not understand the qualities of a photograph which make it "good" - and I am not saying that is either right of wrong - it is just that way.  Hence, for most users, a phone which doubles as a MP3 player, camera, address book, email client, calendar etc. is perfect.  There is nothing wrong with that fact - it just is that way.  Hence why Canon et all are seeing so many challenges in the low end of the market, where entry-level P&S cameras are being cannibalised by phones.

I would love to see Canon produce a mirrorless camera in a rangefinder size package, with a selection of small fast primes.   I will not be distraught if that remains just a wish.  DSLRs are great for my wife's work and for taking on road trips.  For myself, I would like a more compact system that I can just throw in my bag when travelling by air, or which I can easily take with when I'm on my bike.  I like the form factor of my Zeiss Ikon, but would love something digital in that form factor - but without the weight of a camera that was made before the advent of lightweight alloys!  (Oh, and I am not about to drop a whole lot of cash on a M9 unless it can be justified for my wife's work - a 1Dx would be a higher priority.)
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
Canon will be aware they can make a ton of cash from Olympics ... next year with a well timed mid price full frame refresh of the 5.

Will a camera with a slow frame rate and less-than-stellar AF really beva cash cow from Olympics-related sales?  Or maybe Canon will just use most of the guts of the 1D X in a 5DIII, give it 40 MP with a 12fps/18MP crop mode, the 1D X AF, etc., but put it all in a smaller body and sell it for $2.5K?  Prediction: that will happen two days after pigs fly over snow banks in Hell.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

handsomerob

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Or maybe Canon will just use most of the guts of the 1D X in a 5DIII, give it 40 MP with a 12fps/18MP crop mode, the 1D X AF, etc., but put it all in a smaller body and sell it for $2.5K?  Prediction: that will happen two days after pigs fly over snow banks in Hell.

Lol ! Sounds like a great dream ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »