July 22, 2018, 10:29:33 PM

Author Topic: 5D iii with 135 mm 85 mm 50 mm wedding in servo poor focus any ideas?  (Read 15247 times)

lukemike

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Hi there.
I was shooting a wedding yesterday. 5d iii worked great with one major exception. When shooting couples dancing (iso around 5000 1/200 s ). it was not able to deliver a sharp image (maybe one sharp in 10 shots) lenses used 50 f/1.4 , 85 f/1.8,  135 f/2L and 16-35 f/2.8 L II. Servo mode tried differnet cases different settings (points, first image priority etc). It was not a motion blur. Does anyone have an experience working with these lenses in servo?  I mean I tried everything with no result. Are these lenses simply too slow for tracking?  Was it too dark?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:42:17 AM by lukemike »

canon rumors FORUM

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Maybe you should have tried a 6D ?

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
Did you set the camera to focus priority and use only the cross type points? Also did you try using AF assist on a speedlite?

IsaacImage

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • www.IsaacImage.com
Just to let you know, that in "AL SERVO" mode AF assist doesn't work. so that's might cause of your problem.
135L on of the faster Canon lenses BTW.
Cheers

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
What was your depth of field?  If you are simply aiming at the front of the couple

O|O

You have the person, then the space in between the couple, and then the partner.  Maybe you were shooting at a DOF too shallow and so the partner was out of focus. 

I'd suggest shooting with speedlites and a aperture of maybe f/5.6... of camera of course... I have an article in my to read list upstairs... I'll post that later, but I don't shoot weddings... so it is low on my to read list.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Hi there.
I was shooting a wedding yesterday. 5d iii worked great with one major exception. When shooting couples dancing (iso around 5000 1/200 s ). it was not able to deliver a sharp image (maybe one sharp in 10 shots) lenses used 50 f/1.4 , 85 f/1.8,  135 f/2L and 16-35 f/2.8 L II. Servo mode tried differnet cases different settings (points, first image priority etc). It was not a motion blur. Does anyone have an experience working with these lenses in servo?  I mean I tried everything with no result. Are these lenses simply too slow for tracking?  Was it too dark?  Thanks.

Your settings need to be changed to require focus lock priority.  In AI Servo, the shutter will open before focus is achieved unless you change your settings.

I don't have my 5D3 here at my desk, but the settings are in the manual.  You want to prioritize focus over a quick shot.

risc32

• EOS 7D Mark II
i second what mt spokane said. i shoot wedding receptions often and i would like to ask if you were using your flash. if not, 1/200th might just be to slow. you were at iso 5000, hmmm.... well, i'm usually at iso 800, f2.8-f4, and somewhere between 1/50th-1/200th(sometimes much slower yet, but that's usually for effect), and i use flash + servo focus, "stock" standard AF setting. when i get a shot off before my flash recycles i can see that without it i really don't have anything, so the flash is building the whole thing. i miss some, but i keep most, plus i take plenty.

canon rumors FORUM

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
And I third what MtSpokane said, and second what risc32 is suggesting.

As for the lenses, the 135mm is one of my quickest for AF, and my 16-35mm (version 1) is very snappy.  I do like to have at least a 430ex on for a little AF assist (with the flash set to not fire) in lower light situations.

As for the 85mm 1.8, that might be the fastest AF I've ever used.  Pretty much instantaneous.  The 50mm 1.4 is also quick for me, but not as accurate as any of the others in low light for me.

In my still limited wedding experience, at many receptions, using a flash bothers few guests.  I've done quite a few other low light events, though, and if you have your camera set with a higher ISO, say 3200, you need very little flash to just bring some life and separation to skin tones while still keeping a high enough shutter speed to sharpen up features.  Bouncing the flash is very important, and, of course, no matter which way the flash head is pointed, you still get the benefit of the AF assist beam.  Having an assistant who you work well with is fantastic for having a little off-camera flash (but you still need a master speedlite on your camera for the AF assist).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:32:46 PM by YuengLinger »

jdramirez

I have a yongnuo 622c and it sends out the ir beams, but it also doesn't work in ai servo... but it does work in the middle option, whatever that is called... and it is supposed to react to movement.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

lukemike

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Thanks for the input guys. To answer a couple of questions. No no flash was used so no assist beam. It was not motion blur. Yes I have changed first image to focus priority instead of shutter release priority with no result. My tracking in servo is spot on, aiming for the head for a few seconds before first shot - did sports for a while so the focus point is where it needs to be and stays there. I was just wondering if anybody had the same crappy experience with this setup as I did (which is not mine btw). I was just shocked how bad it was - it is 1dx focus module after all. Don't get me wrong 5d iii worked great for all static shots, sharp and accurate, it was just that servo mode. Anyway if anyone had similar problem or doesn't have any problems pkease let me know. Thank you.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Thanks for the input guys. To answer a couple of questions. No no flash was used so no assist beam. It was not motion blur. Yes I have changed first image to focus priority instead of shutter release priority with no result. My tracking in servo is spot on, aiming for the head for a few seconds before first shot - did sports for a while so the focus point is where it needs to be and stays there. I was just wondering if anybody had the same crappy experience with this setup as I did (which is not mine btw). I was just shocked how bad it was - it is 1dx focus module after all. Don't get me wrong 5d iii worked great for all static shots, sharp and accurate, it was just that servo mode. Anyway if anyone had similar problem or doesn't have any problems pkease let me know. Thank you.

Mine has no issues that way, the camera might have a problem.  Make sure you are not using spot AF, its poor in low light, activate the surround points.

GMCPhotographics

• EOS 5DS R
    • GMCPhotographics
These are tricky lenses to master and it takes a number of years to fully get the best out of them. So I wouldn't expect a fast prime newbie to pick a set up....rock up to a wedding / paid gig and expect stellar results. This is why my 2nd photographer grew into her primes proportionately to her skill growth in the wedding industry.
Personally, I think it's easier to use a 6D / 5DII with a fine focus screen, using centre point...point and re-compose technique. you can see when the lens depth of field isn't in the right place. The 5DIII's AF is amazing, but the viewfinder screen is DOF limited to about f2.8. A fast prime's DOF is a LOT shallower than that and can't be perceived through the view finder.

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Light was too low, or camera has a problem, or user error (which I guess also encompasses light being too low).

Time to try this again in a PRACTICE situation before an event.  Create the same light, as close as you can, get some friends as stand-ins, and figure out what went wrong.

Such a rehearsal is pretty much required if you expect to get paid.  And more than once.

canon rumors FORUM

jdramirez

http://fstoppers.com/free-wedding-tutorial-how-to-light-wedding-reception-venues

for what it is worth... I skimmed it... it seemed reasonable...

Albi86

• EOS 5DS R
Are these lenses simply too slow for tracking? 

I don't have direct experience with all of those, but it seems to me that this is the most likely circumstance. High performance in AI Servo doesn't sound like an engineering priority for a 50/1.4 or a UWA zoom.

Consider that the 50, 85 and 135mm are also very old lenses.

canon rumors FORUM