September 02, 2014, 08:09:42 AM

Author Topic: Canon Interested in Hasselblad?  (Read 3022 times)

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Interested in Hasselblad?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »
Canon doesnt need any innovation at all, just marketing.
I would KILL for a Canon body with this feature, which by all accounts works as advertised:
Hasselblad TrueFocus

This is simply amazing.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »

LeifHurst

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Leif Hurst Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
This has been an interesting read as I jumped into the Hasselblad H system last month with the purchase of an H4D, a 120mm Macro, and a 50-110 zoom.

It's a little kick in the gut that I may have jumped on a sinking ship but the image quality and sharpness is beyond anything I've seen from any DSLR from any brand and TrueFocus (APL) is absolutely revolutionary. From a tripod, I've missed critical focus maybe twice in the last 9 portrait sessions even while shooting at the narrowest of DOF. I hit the eye with TrueFocus, recompose, you hear the lens microadjust for a fraction of a second right before howitzer sounding mirror flips up.

I'm glad I made the jump. I just wish they'd get their finances together. Even if they tanked and went under, I'd buy two more bodies and backs for backups and use them until the wheels fell off. I've got a buddy with 700,000 actuations on an H3d without a trip back to the factory so they are built to last.
Leif Hurst Photography

Hasselblad H4D, HC 120mm Macro, HC 50-110 Zoom, (2) 5DII, 7D, 40mm pancake, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 II, 85L, 100L, 50 1.4, profoto, kinos constants, more speedlites than I'd like to admit

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
The camera market is really all about lenses, not so much bodies.  I'm not sure that any lens assets come with the brand, Zeiss would be the one making the bucks, at least, they made lenses for the Hasselblad I owned.  I'm not sure if Canon and Zeiss are on very good terms.

If a lens factory and MF designs came with the deal, Canon might be more interested.  The list of valuable patents is another asset that would determine if a acquisition were worth considering.  Finally, the Brand Name can be a very valuable asset.  Hasselblad certainly qualifies there, the name is worth a lot, but the Canon brand is worth 1000 times more, so it would not be a step up for Canon.

On the other hand, Phase One will not be recognized as a camera maker by many who would know Hasselblad.  Sony is a valuable Brand name as well, but their camera division could benefit getting away from Sony's reputation for poor service.

That said, I'd like to see Canon do it, even though it would not be a big profit maker, Canon could use the name and their huge marketing network to sell a lot of cameras. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:11:48 AM by Mt Spokane Photography »

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 07:32:34 PM »
Much ill informed comment. The barrier to entry has fallen look to motion picture & TV once dominated by Panavision, Arri, Sony & Panasonic. Now Red, Black Magic, Canon and AJA have or are challenging the market.
Medium format barrier is lenses not cameras lenses are far more expensive to develop and Zeiss pulled back on medium format. Fuji make lenses for Hasselblad and Schnieder still make lenses. Also remember Leica launched the S2 and a whole bunch of lenses with it.
It's just time but this sector will make a comeback.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
Canon doesnt need any innovation at all, just marketing. They can llsensors with technology from 200x and be market leader with them.

Their bosses will get nice boni, and share holders nice divident. Developpement and innovation are a waste of money :)

A relatively well known designer from another field, Charles Eames, had a maxim that he followed,  "Innovate as
a last resort".

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
Fuji makes the Hasselblad lenses now, and have done so for a number of years.
This is something that is probably holding Canon back from buying Hassy, as it won't want to buy in lenses from another Japanese maker who is also a sort of competitor.

Personally, if you want to go MF, what's wrong with the new Pentax 645Z?
From what I've heard, it's IQ is the same as Hassy and Phase 1, but at a fraction of the cost.
Also, the removable backs from Hassy and Phase 1 sound like a great idea, but they are VERY easy to scratch and damage when off the cameras.

However, I too would like to see True Focus on Canon DSLRs.

johnhenry

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
Makers for medium format IGNORE all the best glass produced by Zeiss since the 50's for the 'blad.

I have lens from 1957 that work just as well as my last lens, a 50mm FLE.

Make a drop in replacement for an A12 magazine that is digital, has at least 80% the size of 6X6 and works on a Hasselblad 500 series camera and a lot of people would pay for that

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »