December 10, 2016, 07:46:45 AM

Author Topic: New APS-C Camera in February?  (Read 24122 times)

psycho5

Re: New APS-C Camera in February?
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »

The 1DX was designed and built for professional photographers and they have very specific needs that don't necessarily have anything to do with hobbyists, amateurs, advanced amateurs or just the general public.

In a perfect world Canon would market the next 7D for pros and leave the 70D and below to the hobbyists and amateurs. If they did (again in a perfect world) we would see a cropped version of the 1Dx sensor in the next 7D. This is my wish and it would be awesome! I remember when the 7D came out people were raving how it was a mini-1D, why not keep the tradition alive?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »

The 1DX was designed and built for professional photographers and they have very specific needs that don't necessarily have anything to do with hobbyists, amateurs, advanced amateurs or just the general public.

In a perfect world Canon would market the next 7D for pros and leave the 70D and below to the hobbyists and amateurs. If they did (again in a perfect world) we would see a cropped version of the 1Dx sensor in the next 7D. This is my wish and it would be awesome! I remember when the 7D came out people were raving how it was a mini-1D, why not keep the tradition alive?

Not sure about the "marketing to pros" part but I think you will get your wish.  It wouldn't take much improvement for a 7D2 to be a mini-1DX.

EYEONE

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »
That was the difference just from gapless microlenses.

The 50D had gapless microlenses too.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Meh

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
So for the rest of you who actually own a 7D now, what would actually make you buy a newer model, if the sensor is the same? (take into account you'd lose about 15% purchase-price selling old-body and buying new one). And if the sensor is a new one (more than likely), what would you prefer from my options above?

Assuming I could sell my 7D and buy a 7D2 for a net cost of only 15% (about C$225), I would upgrade just for the chance to take that new sweetness out of the box!   ;D   For me, the compelling option from your list would be same 18MP with any improvement in image quality whether that's a little better ISO performance, DR, whatever.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
So for the rest of you who actually own a 7D now, what would actually make you buy a newer model, if the sensor is the same? (take into account you'd lose about 15% purchase-price selling old-body and buying new one). And if the sensor is a new one (more than likely), what would you prefer from my options above?

Assuming I could sell my 7D and buy a 7D2 for a net cost of only 15% (about C$225), I would upgrade just for the chance to take that new sweetness out of the box!   ;D   For me, the compelling option from your list would be same 18MP with any improvement in image quality whether that's a little better ISO performance, DR, whatever.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well.

I don't have a problem with more megapixels, but it wouldn't make it so that I have to have a new model.

I like the infrared trigger, but hate that the onboard flash overheats and shuts down in the middle of shooting, making the trigger useless. I'd like that fixed.

I would like to see an improved autofocus system. People say the 7D is far more sophisticated than the 5D, but frankly it's not always intuitive or simple to use. Just because most focus issues are the result of "user error" doesn't mean they shouldn't try to engineer improvements that will reduce those errors.

Reduced noise, higher ISO and expanded dynamic range are the main criteria.

Actually, this all goes back to something I've said before: Will Canon go for an incremental upgrade and focus on attracting new buyers upgrading from Rebels or will they go for major improvements to entice existing 7D owners to buy the new model?

I really think (and hope) it will be the latter. I think they learned with the 50D that incremental upgrades are risky and I suspect they have figured out that one customer in the hand (existing 7D owners) is better than two customers in the bush (Rebel owners who might or might not upgrade). A major upgrade will attract both markets, but minor changes will have most 7D owners waiting for the Mark III.

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »

Why would that represent a perfect world? Why would a cropped version of the 1DX sensor necessitate marketing only to pros?

Rocky

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »

Why would that represent a perfect world? Why would a cropped version of the 1DX sensor necessitate marketing only to pros?

If Canon make a cropped version (APS-C) of the 1DX sensor, it will only have 6.84 MP. do you think either the 'pro" or  Amateur will buy it???
I would like to see canon apply the technology of 1DX sensor on the existing 18MP APS_C and also give us the "low Light" technique ( addition the explosure from 4 adjscent pixels )from the S95 and ends up with a 4.5MP picture. Then we will have the best of both world.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »

If Canon make a cropped version (APS-C) of the 1DX sensor, it will only have 6.84 MP. do you think either the 'pro" or  Amateur will buy it???
I would like to see canon apply the technology of 1DX sensor on the existing 18MP APS_C and also give us the "low Light" technique ( addition the explosure from 4 adjscent pixels )from the S95 and ends up with a 4.5MP picture. Then we will have the best of both world.

:) I took psycho5's comment to mean the latter... apply the latest and greatest sensor tech for a new ~18MP APS-C sensor and I think that could be what we'll see.  Totally agree that an APS-C crop of the 1DX sensor with 6.9MP is a non-starter.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »

:) I took psycho5's comment to mean the latter... apply the latest and greatest sensor tech for a new ~18MP APS-C sensor and I think that could be what we'll see.  Totally agree that an APS-C crop of the 1DX sensor with 6.9MP is a non-starter.

what if it functioned like the fuji EXR tech where you can choose low MP and higher DR and cleaner ISO or more MP and use lower iso? then you get your cake and eat it too. I think something like this in a new 7D they would struggle to keep up with demand, from amature and pro's alike.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »