September 21, 2014, 02:33:53 PM

Author Topic: Still waiting for high MP canon while Nikon is coming out with new 800  (Read 35934 times)

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
The thing I wonder about your post and others like it is why do you care? I want a high MP body, I can pay for it, and I'm tired of people telling me I don't (why do people overquote?) "need" it. I want it, got it?
If you really "want" it, you get it. If you do not have it, either you don't want it, or cannot afford it. Since you do not yet have it and you say that you want it, then I have to deduce that you cannot afford it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:53:06 PM by poias »

canon rumors FORUM

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I can only add: uhh huh huh huh, he said butt.

Seriously:
1) Okay, we got the thread "how will canon respond to X"
2) We're missing the outraged "I'm switching to Nikon" guy
3) You buy Canon or Nikon because you know someone with that system . . . if not, then you're splitting hairs
and lastly
4) he said butt

;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I want a high MP body, I can pay for it

Sure, there's no problem there; the problem is that there aren't enough like you to make it cost-effective.  The D800 and D800E are almost exactly what the high-megapixel crowd asked for about that time.  Sales are OK, but not great.  Why would Canon (or Nikon) come up with a whole new model for that market segment when it's been demonstrated to be less profitable than the 5D3 market segment?

There's nothing wrong with your preferences, just understand that you're in a clear minority.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
The thing I wonder about your post and others like it is - how many people "need" 36+ MP?

The thing I wonder about your post and others like it is why do you care? I want a high MP body, I can pay for it, and I'm tired of people telling me I don't (why do people overquote?) "need" it. I want it, got it?
I think you were actually trying to quoting me (the over-quoter, LOL), and what I was really getting at is that I'm actually one of those people who want a high MP body and would make good use of it, but it seems like most of the people who complain about this on the forums are the same ones who never print their work and post 800x600 photos on the web (for fear of image theft, no doubt).  They're also the same people who will someday slap their 50L on their new 40MP camera, shoot hand held at f/1.2 and then complain that their images are all soft.

Okay, maybe I'm being "silly", but so many "people" bitch and moan about "stuff" they don't have when they are "barely" using 20% of what today's "cameras" can do.  I hope I didn't over-quote that last sentence ;)

EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

IsaacImage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.IsaacImage.com
It's an interesting situation, why have Canon not to date followed through with a higher MP Body ?? it's a little like "what's the meaning of life".

The decision to amalgamate the 1D/1Ds lines in the 1Dx was in my opinion a bad call on the future Market by Canon (albeit I think the 1Dx is a wonderful Camera Body), I just don't think their Marketing People clearly saw the Market need for a higher MP Camera (or they did, and simply weren't able to match technologies with Nikon/Sony), they got that wrong, and now they need some catch up time in designing a Sensor that approaches what the Market wants, and is comparable, better, than the Nikon 36MP sensor, and more recently the Sony 36MP sensor, and now, the Sony 50MP sensor that is finding it's way into the Haselblad, Phase One etc, and in particular the about to be released Pentax 645z.

The Pentax 645z is of huge interest to me, this is a 51MP CMOS Sensor, 3fps, high ISO Range, reasonable Lens availability, weather sealed Body, and not an inordinate amount of Money at less than 10k, that's a pretty good deal when compared to the Phase One IQ250 & Haselblad offerings of a similar type at 35k to 45k.

The Pentax will be limited as a Wildlife Camera @ 3fps, but the D800 which I have owned, and the Sony a7r which I do own, both operate at a Maximum 4fps, so not a huge difference there, even the 5DMK III is a limiting 6fps.

But the Pentax for Landscape, Portrait & Still Life should be a very interesting Camera at this price.

If, and it seems to be a huge if, Canon develop & drop a higher MP Body into the Market, it needs to be better all round than the Sony a7r & D800E, and hopefully it will be, there's no doubt in my mind that Canon have lost Market share due to these two Cameras from Sony & Nikon, and in loosing Market share to these two Bodies they loos Lens Market etc etc.

I believe Canon simply miss read the Market trend, and have paid a price, now they need to play catch up, and they need to do it with spades, that is, put into the Market a Body that pulls that Market share back from Nikon & Sony, from what I've seen over the Past few Years, I'm not convinced canon can or will be able to do that, I personally stay with Canon because of the Big Whites, there's very little difference in abilities between the D4s & the 1Dx, the D800/5DMK III, and Canon no longer have anything comparable to the Nikon D3x other than the 1DsMK III which isn't in the same league.

Of course this is all Navel contemplation, and ultimately useless, but it's fun at 0600 on my 3rd Espresso.

Completely agree !!!

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
The thing I wonder about your post and others like it is - how many people "need" 36+ MP?

I think you were actually trying to quoting me (the over-quoter, LOL), and what I was really getting at is that I'm actually one of those people who want a high MP body and would make good use of it, but it seems like most of the people who complain about this on the forums are the same ones who never print their work and post 800x600 photos on the web (for fear of image theft, no doubt).  They're also the same people who will someday slap their 50L on their new 40MP camera, shoot hand held at f/1.2 and then complain that their images are all soft.

Okay, maybe I'm being "silly", but so many "people" bitch and moan about "stuff" they don't have when they are "barely" using 20% of what today's "cameras" can do.  I hope I didn't over-quote that last sentence ;)

;D
+1
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

lucuias

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
I would prefer canon came out something with high dynamic range and high iso performance instead of high megapixel.I am very happy with 23MP from 5Dmark 3,I just need more high dynamic range for photo manipulation.

canon rumors FORUM

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
Yes, I bought a D800, and files that open to  125 - 150 MB are no fun to edit.  Its hard to imagine what editing a 200 - 250 MB file would be like.

The files open so large due to the huge amount of noise in any image over about ISO 800.  NEF is a compressed file, but they are uncompressed in order to edit them.  I tried editing 1500 shots that I took at high ISO over a couple of nights.  I had to use a ton of NR on them, and that took minutes per image to run.

I sold the D800 and bought a 5D MK III, it is much better for high ISO photography.  The D800 is great at ISO 200, assuming that you buy lenses that can resolve the high MP, and that you use a tripod or very fast shutter speed.  Its difficult to actually get the high resolution possible, many users do not and give up.

I have the 5DIII and both the D800 and D800E.  If you have some Nikon glass that you would like to sell because you have sold your D800, please let me know.  I use Photoshop CC and Bridge.  The actual file sizes on disk (NEF) are less than 50MB and no where close to what you are quoting unless you are talking about the resulting photoshop saved PSD file with all the layers that are not flattened.  Perhaps your computer is slow. 

I have been very pleased with the resolution of Nikon glass and very much love the 14-24.  Since I am a landscape guy I use ISO 100 mostly and here is where I find the D800 surpassing anything in the Canon line (most of which I still own).  I find the raw files very easy to edit with Photoshop CC and have developed a very efficient workflow.  It is true I am not a high ISO lover since my applications don't need it.  Most of my prints that I do myself are 24 x 36 or larger. 

Someday, if Canon comes out with a competitive camera, including the improved dynamic range of the D800 sensor over the Canon sensors, I really would like to shoot my Canon glass again because I really think the Canon tilt-shift lenses are a kick.   Also Nikon supertels are heavier than Canon equivalents but then Canon is so much more money.  I'm sure Nikon will catch up by decreasing weight and raising their prices just like Canon did.

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I've waited a long time for Nikon to recapture the lead on Nikon and their 36 mp camera. And now I read that Nikon will introduce an upgrade to the 800e in June.  Why am I not jumping ship?  I do have a lot of canon glass and have been a local customer. I own the mk III and 6d and I love the images .BUTT, COME ON ALREADY cCanon. Get your stuff together!

if you want a high resolution FF , get the A7R , it is so simple and easy.  the A7R has better sensor, better AF for stills, better video and it is much more portable.   unless you need SLR shaped boy with dated mirror based AF, there is no contest but the A7R wins, and adding the Sony in addition to your Canon does not require any kind of lens selling or trading in for new set of crappy Nikon lenses.  trust me , Nikon just go down and down from now on since Sony just announced using its best sensor for only its own cameras for certain period of time(6 months or so) this means Nikon will not be able to have any proper access to Sony's latest chips for at least 6 months after the announcement new chips.   the D800E replacement will use the Sony A7R sensor and the new Sony A99Mk2 will get better improved version of it.. and in many markets Nikon is already no3 in camera sells, in HK , Australia , Brazil , China and South Korea Sony is already no1 or no2....the fall of Nikon is coming very soon.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
+1
I have 18Mp on FF don't want any more! One of the best LARGE prints I have seen was at a Photographers shop in Llangollen. It was a shot of Bantry Bay in Ireland and it covered a whole door - it was shot with a 6mp DSLR. I print to A3+ - I think 18mp will do!

+2

I recently picked up a 4.2mp Canon 1D and have been very impressed with the image quality.

If the rest of the camera was comparable to current production with respect to ISO performance, live view and the rear LCD... but it probably wouldn't sell well as many people would WTF the 4.2mp without trying it.

I usually don't crop too heavily either, so that makes a difference.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile

Because we are trying to help you get better images. ...

That's great, thanks for the unasked for and unwanted help! Maybe I/we want a high MP body because we like gadgets, maybe we just like lots of pixels, maybe we have too much disk space that needs filling, or maybe we feel it will help us get better pictures. Who cares? But stop dictating the same, tired trope that more pixels doesn't give better pictures. I suspect that people who push this idea are trying to convince themselves more than us, maybe they can't afford it? Or more likely, maybe they can't afford the infrastructure to handle the larger shots?

Anyhow I have cameras that span the gamut, from Google Glass on my head to a 5D with a ton of glass perched on it. Guess what? The more pixels with the better glass gives me better pictures! Technically they're better, and even more I take far more care with them, so get better shots. At the low end with my phone or Glass, I'll just snap away and hope for the best.

Sure some nabob will promptly say, for the thousandth time, that a cell phone camera can take a picture worthy of National Geographic. Yeah, whatever, we've heard that a few times, but I have yet to see a iPhone shot that made it on those pages with any regularity. Regardless you don't find us telling you guys that 24 isn't enough for you, so stop trying to tell us that 24 is enough for us.

Jglaser757

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
I've waited a long time for Nikon to recapture the lead on Nikon and their 36 mp camera. And now I read that Nikon will introduce an upgrade to the 800e in June.  Why am I not jumping ship?  I do have a lot of canon glass and have been a local customer. I own the mk III and 6d and I love the images .BUTT, COME ON ALREADY cCanon. Get your stuff together!

if you want a high resolution FF , get the A7R , it is so simple and easy.  the A7R has better sensor, better AF for stills, better video and it is much more portable.   unless you need SLR shaped boy with dated mirror based AF, there is no contest but the A7R wins, and adding the Sony in addition to your Canon does not require any kind of lens selling or trading in for new set of crappy Nikon lenses.  trust me , Nikon just go down and down from now on since Sony just announced using its best sensor for only its own cameras for certain period of time(6 months or so) this means Nikon will not be able to have any proper access to Sony's latest chips for at least 6 months after the announcement new chips.   the D800E replacement will use the Sony A7R sensor and the new Sony A99Mk2 will get better improved version of it.. and in many markets Nikon is already no3 in camera sells, in HK , Australia , Brazil , China and South Korea Sony is already no1 or no2....the fall of Nikon is coming very soon.

I have researched the A7r and am thinking of switching to that. I guess I needed to clarify some things. I print big usually and shoot lanscapes. So I no the sony makes sense, but I'm shocked that canon did not retake the lead.
I. Have also considered the Pentax 645 , but then I'm back to the issue of glass. 

I do appreciate the discussion here. It helps a lot !

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
That's great, thanks for the unasked for and unwanted help!

<snip>

The more pixels with the better glass gives me better pictures! Technically they're better, and even more I take far more care with them, so get better shots. At the low end with my phone or Glass, I'll just snap away and hope for the best.

<snip>

Regardless you don't find us telling you guys that 24 isn't enough for you, so stop trying to tell us that 24 is enough for us.

For every one of you who has money to burn and a fetish for the newest/best, there are many more who simply need help using what they have.  Forum readers can't always tell the difference from sketchy posts such as yours.

Forum readers are not mind readers, just like the rest of the human species.  When someone answers with advice that's unwanted, maybe it's a clue that you didn't ask the question very clearly.

canon rumors FORUM

mustafaakarsu

• Power Shot G16
  • 5D III
    • View Profile

[/quote]
in addition to your Canon does not require any kind of lens selling or trading in for new set of crappy Nikon lenses.  trust me , Nikon just go down and down from now on since Sony just announced using its best sensor for only its own camera
[/quote]

Could you explain it a bit, how can Sony cameras use Canon lenses better than Nikon?

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Could you explain it a bit, how can Sony cameras use Canon lenses better than Nikon?

Metabones adapter.

canon rumors FORUM