November 24, 2014, 12:57:48 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces Image Cloud Service Irista  (Read 4899 times)

hollybush

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces Image Cloud Service Irista
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »
Dear Canon make it 1 TB Free for ALL :)

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

The running costs would have to be met by loading prices on camera equipment. I'm sort of fine with that happening for iPhones etc., because those things have a limited life anyway and it's an ongoing thing to budget for. But I keep my camera equipment for decades.

BTW, it's Sunday evening on a holiday weekend here in Australia, and the Australia and NZ site is "currently undergoing testing and maintenance" by gurus. (For those who don't know, a "guru" is an expert on Unix and open source software. Generally they come with beards.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

The running costs would have to be met by loading prices on camera equipment. I'm sort of fine with that happening for iPhones etc., because those things have a limited life anyway and it's an ongoing thing to budget for. But I keep my camera equipment for decades.

BTW, it's Sunday evening on a holiday weekend here in Australia, and the Australia and NZ site is "currently undergoing testing and maintenance" by gurus. (For those who don't know, a "guru" is an expert on Unix and open source software. Generally they come with beards.)
Same here and I am logging on from India. So may be their Geography is not too good - apart from other things... ;)

StephenC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
How is this better than SmugMug, which has unlimited storage for a modest fee?
Canon EOS 5D mkIII
Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT, Canon GP-E2, Eye-Fi Card

apacheebest

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • More Than Words
    • View Profile
    • Anil George
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

Can you friends tell me how it is different from flickr except that it has a crazy pricing and flickr gives 1TB free. If this one allows RAW then its a different thing, but then, there are cheaper cloud storage available out there and if you are storing RAW, then all the drums and whistles are kinda useless :P

Anil George
Canon Gears: 5DMIII: 24-400 L, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Elinchrom 400FRX

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 04:49:56 AM »

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

Can you friends tell me how it is different from flickr except that it has a crazy pricing and flickr gives 1TB free. If this one allows RAW then its a different thing, but then, there are cheaper cloud storage available out there and if you are storing RAW, then all the drums and whistles are kinda useless :P

Anil George

Flickr is for displaying your work, viewing other peoples work, sharing ideas and commenting on photos (some video too) whereas a cloud storage service is mainly used in the same way an external hard drive is (though usually with more benefits like being able to share files easily).

I guess you can use Flickr for storing images if you only have JPEGs but you'd need to change the privacy settings so only you can view them. It's just faster and easier to use cloud storage as it's similar to the filing system found on most PCs - you can just drag and drop files where you want.

Think of it like this - Flickr is an art gallery and irista is an office filing cabinet. You wouldn't put up all your family pics / pics of you cat etc. on the gallery wall for storage would you?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:54:52 AM by Zv »
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2014, 08:45:13 AM »
<li>Up to 10GB: No cost, full functionality</li>

When the service is free, the customer becomes the product being sold.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2014, 08:45:13 AM »