December 07, 2016, 11:54:26 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces Image Cloud Service Irista  (Read 12561 times)

Brymills

• Canon AE-1
Re: Canon Announces Image Cloud Service Irista
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »
I'd hoped this would be a replacement for Flickr, which has just enforced a stupid policy of requiring a Yahoo account for logins.  Seems it's not to be, so back to my plan B, register a domain, build my own website based on some open source gallery software....  Just need to pick which one?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
Looks like it is not available in india :(

Oh well!

eml58

• 1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
I understand all these cloud services, not so much the need for them, but from a Business perspective it's a reasonable Business Model, but.

I've just never been comfortable with having my Images on someone else's server, in the cloud, what ever, just seems....risky.

So, I set up my own system without too much trouble, at home I set up my MacPro as a server, connects to my esPro 8TB (2 complete systems totalling 16TB on RAID), on this I store 2 copies of my current 5TB of Images, as long as I have Internet access, I can access my Home System & download Images, check Images, work on Images.

Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive than cloud service, but it's 16TB, it's mine & it's just as accessible as anything iCloud, Google, Canon etc offer, without the risk.

Well, if my House burns down I'm in a bit of trouble, so I just purchased another 8TB system and will set that up as a cloned copy at my Son's Apartment.

This is the only way I can see to get the service I want for the amount of Images I have with the comfort of knowing my Images aren't on someone else's server.

Most of these cloud systems are developed for people wanting to store their phone camera photos I think, nothing wrong with that at all, but for someone that has anything more than 100GB, the systems really don't work.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:36:46 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

talicoa

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »
I read this article with hope that this might be a viable solution for me.  I bought into the fact that Canon knows images, and understands photographers.  Wow, I was disappointed in this offering.  Like many others have said, the amount of space is Laughable.  I have a 64GB card have filled it in one day.  What I need is something that will help me organize my images, store them securely and present them in a breathtaking way.  This is the most expensive option I have seen yet, I don't want to share images to Facebook.  At least not any work I am proud of.
I don't get it, but I guarantee the next 7DMKII will have Wi-Fi and an Irista button right next to the direct print button. 

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:58 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that jrista will comment on this new service?

hahahahaha. Same thought went through my mind...

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 02:58:18 AM »
Not interested with measly storage space and nor do I want to signup using my google or yahoo or whatever account ... not sure what Canon was thinking in putting out this half hearted service.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:59:59 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Zv

• 1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 04:46:10 AM »
Yes I agree 10GB is not much ... but it's more than what Dropbox give you! After pestering my friends and camera uploading like a maniac I have around 7GB. But some of that is used up by work. So I'll take this fresh 10GB of free space, thank you very much! Might come in handy.
Move along nothing to see here!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 04:46:10 AM »

fragilesi

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 05:28:35 AM »
I gave up trying to find a usable cloud service years ago and set up my own server.  Half a decade later, I'm ashamed to say that the situation doesn't seem to have improved much.  All these companies still think it is reasonable to charge $150 per year for a paltry hundred gigs of storage.  That's considerably more than I pay for shared hosting from a competent provider with unlimited storage across unlimited domains.  I'm currently hosting multiple websites, along with a collection of several hundred gigabytes worth of publicly viewable photos, complete with RAW files.

Or to look at it another way, at current end-user prices SATA hard drives costs approximately $40 per terabyte to buy.  This service costs $1500 per terabyte per year.  In effect, you're paying for the entire cost of the hardware approximately every 9.7 days.  Would you spend $1,500 to rent a computer for a week?  There's really no difference.  Now I realize that the storage isn't the entire cost of providing a service.  You have to build a data center with cooling, you have to build the server boxes themselves, etc.  But even when you factor in the costs, $150 per year for 100 GB is obscene.

I wouldn't feel qualified to cost out a service like this despite having been in the industry for a quarter of a century and the costs do seem high but there is a major league difference between small scale hosting like you're talking about and opening up a cloud based service with uncertain global take up.  Did you factor into your costs:-

- High Availability (they will be trying for it even if not succeeding  :) )  At a minimum this will probably triple your server and storage costs.
     - High end connections to the Internet across multiple data centres each capable of full load.
     - Service development teams, 24/7 support capability, operations staff
     - Software licensing
     - Hardware and data centre maintenance
     - Ops staff, hardware techs, management.
     - Marketing
     - Legal
     - Power, UPS Contracts
     - Cooling Systems, maintenance contracts
     - Security, intrusion prevention, firewalls
     - eCommerce capability including help functions
     - Translation services

All on a global scale . . .

Now, Canon needs to live up to what offering a cloud service really means and they have made a poor start but comparing what you do with your provider and what they are attempting to do is a bit like comparing a market stall with Walmart. 

And if that last part sounds dismissive then genuinely I'm sorry. I really like the sound of your setup, fair play to you, maybe I should do that myself!  It's just not even close to being relevant to this service.  And that's probably why you gave up on the cloud services.  It is much more achievable to do your own thing because trying to be all things to all men / women . . . very hard, even for big corporations.

ewg963

• Canon 6D
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 07:40:24 AM »
I feel that cps members with a crap ton of points should get this free...

A free cow-poop ice cream cone is still a cow-poop ice cream cone :/

I'm deeply entrenched in the tech industry and I just can't see using "cloud" at this time:
1) ISPs feel they have the right to choke you down if you use 'too much'* bandwidth or to the wrong provider
2) Likelihood of outage to your ISP, anyone in between, the actual service
3) Data breeches by adverse outside parties
4) Sharing of data with outside sources via pressure (national security letter)
5) Sharing of data for profit (advertisers, 'meta data')
6) Hidden clauses in endless EULAs that turn ownership of your IP into someone else's

Now, I'm beginning to sound like a security nut, but I've had it with the cloud snake oil.  There has been a systematic disingenuousness of most large companies that seems to be the accepted norm, and people are turning over more and more control and aren't really getting anything for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly hop on board when I might be getting something I really want, but until, at very least, ISPs are forced to disclose limits and advertise ACTUAL average upstream/downstream and who they are blacklisting/whitelisting, I'll take my local software and hard backups.

Oi.  Rant off.   :-[

*an arbitrary number, that they won't ever tell you
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000
1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 16-35mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mmf/4.0-5.6L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L, f 135mm f/2L, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 08:48:27 AM »
ok, so every DSLR from now on will be able to upload its images to Irista via WiFi.

I think you've hit it.  And, if you want to upload to something like Flickr, you will have to go thru Irista.

Canon should stick to hardware, their core competence is not on the web.

sirnose66

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
Well, I've been a Beta tester for ever, not a terribly active one, although I did take part in a web chat, which involved a lot of blue-sky type questions, "If you could ask for anything what would you want..." . To which unsurprisingly most people said unlimited free storage!

Storage was unlimited in Beta and I have uploaded a lot of stuff, 122GB to be precise, so now when I log in it says I am over my free 10GB limit! No suggestion at the moment that I can't continue to use what I have, although I can't upload any more obviously and I imagine deleting stuff won't free up new space. I guess 112 free gigs of storage is a reasonable return for Beta testing, even if I can never add or change what's uploaded!

It's not obvious what I would have to pay to get more storage the premium package talks about "customise your storage by add on storage", presumably at an additional cost to the standard premium rate?

eyeland

• EOS M3
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
Anyone care to share their thoughts on viable software solutions for the home-server solution?
Gonna set up a server when I move back home to my 100/100mbit fiber connection, but so far I have not been satisfied with WP-galleries or simple file servers. I would like to implement a flickr-like framework that integrates automatically with my storage drives.
The best for me in terms of publishing and public availability would be some function akin to smart collections in Lr where one could publish collections based on certain meta-tags rather than having to publish things manually.
In other words, the only downside to the personal server solutions is the time and effort it takes to maintain and manage them but surely, this pales in insignificance compared to this half-assed canon offering...
5D3ML // 24-70|24-105|70-200-2.8ISII|35/2IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Menace

• 5DSR
  • New Zealand
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 04:48:17 PM »
Service still down in Australia and New Zealand.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 04:48:17 PM »

wopbv4

• EOS M3
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 01:25:09 AM »
Server is down, but their e-mail does not work either, see text below

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

irista@canon-europe.com
The email address you entered couldn't be found. Check the recipient's email address then try to resend the message. For more tips to resolve this issue see DSN code 5.1.1 in Exchange Online. If the problem continues contact your help desk.
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

hollybush

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »
Dear Canon make it 1 TB Free for ALL :)

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

The running costs would have to be met by loading prices on camera equipment. I'm sort of fine with that happening for iPhones etc., because those things have a limited life anyway and it's an ongoing thing to budget for. But I keep my camera equipment for decades.

BTW, it's Sunday evening on a holiday weekend here in Australia, and the Australia and NZ site is "currently undergoing testing and maintenance" by gurus. (For those who don't know, a "guru" is an expert on Unix and open source software. Generally they come with beards.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »