September 02, 2014, 07:05:55 AM

Author Topic: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?  (Read 4044 times)

megmo

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
I've been wanting to upgrade my camera body for about two years now... I'm still shooting with my old-ass XTi (yeah, yeah, I know) but it's not been a huge deal since I don't try to make any money off my photography. It's just a hobby, although I do shoot events and stuff for my family and friends sometimes (for no charge, just for fun).

Anyway, so I was all set to buy the 70D but then I read the last few posts on this site about the 7D replacement coming soon and I'm wondering if I should wait and see what that will have. My budget is $1,200, and while I'd like to have a new camera for the summer I really don't *need* one until early fall when I'm taking a big trip.

I know nobody here is a soothsayer, but I am really wrestling with what to do. Do I go ahead and get the 70D? At $1,000 it's well within my budget. Or do I wait until August (if that's when they're expected to announce) and see what the 7D replacement will have?

My concern with waiting is that it will be more than what I want to spend, and unless it's just really super awesome and way better than the 70D I can't see myself going above my budget. So I will have spent three months without a 70D just to go ahead and get the 70D anyway. But I'm also concerned that if they announce in August, it might not come out until later in the fall—after the trip I am really wanting a new camera for.

My concern with buying a 70D now is that the 7D replacement will be announced and it might be within, or around, my budget, and I'll regret getting the 70D instead of waiting for a presumably better camera. Or do people have an idea of what the replacement would likely sell for?

canon rumors FORUM

Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

Khalai

  • Canon AE-1
  • ***
  • Posts: 77
  • Let there be (flattering) light!
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
I don't want to be a pessimist, but I hardly see the 7D2 under 1200 USD upon arrival. Nevertheless, if Canon announces it around August/September, it won't hit the shelves sooner than October/November IMHO (they need to have it prior Christmas as a logical marketing strategy).

I'd go with the 70D personally (as a long time 7D user here).
6D | 7D | 16-35/4L | 24-70/2.8L II | 50/1.4 (release 50/1.4 II already!) | 100/2.8L | 70-200/2.8L II

Gert Arijs

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »
I think indeed the 7D2 will be above your budget (and mine). I guess it to be between 1800 en 2200 Dollar (or Euro...). While it might be significantly better for video, I doubt it to be spectacularly better for stills. So I'd say: wait for official announcement and then buy a used 70D from an upgrader.
5D3, 7D and old 1Ds3. Gitzo with Markins.
Www.gertarijs.be

megmo

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »
I don't want to be a pessimist, but I hardly see the 7D2 under 1200 USD upon arrival. Nevertheless, if Canon announces it around August/September, it won't hit the shelves sooner than October/November IMHO (they need to have it prior Christmas as a logical marketing strategy).

I'd go with the 70D personally (as a long time 7D user here).

Hmm, yeah and I really don't think I want to wait that long just to find out that it's way above my budget. I'd rather be using it for the next several months while there's a ton of sunlight and outdoor fun to be had/photographed. :)

megmo

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »
I think indeed the 7D2 will be above your budget (and mine). I guess it to be between 1800 en 2200 Dollar (or Euro...). While it might be significantly better for video, I doubt it to be spectacularly better for stills. So I'd say: wait for official announcement and then buy a used 70D from an upgrader.

That's what I'm afraid of... and I really would not go that much above my budget. The most I could probably swing would be $1,500, but if there's not really any improvement that I, as a hobbyist, would see between the two it might make sense to get the 70D and then put any extra cash toward a new lens.

And I will be primarily using it for stills. I might get some video use out of it, but I can't see myself spending too much time on that.

fragilesi

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
I think indeed the 7D2 will be above your budget (and mine). I guess it to be between 1800 en 2200 Dollar (or Euro...). While it might be significantly better for video, I doubt it to be spectacularly better for stills. So I'd say: wait for official announcement and then buy a used 70D from an upgrader.

That's what I'm afraid of... and I really would not go that much above my budget. The most I could probably swing would be $1,500, but if there's not really any improvement that I, as a hobbyist, would see between the two it might make sense to get the 70D and then put any extra cash toward a new lens.

And I will be primarily using it for stills. I might get some video use out of it, but I can't see myself spending too much time on that.

I was debating similarly last year and went for the 70d.  If you do go for it I think you will enjoy the upgrade though so don't worry on that account  :).  As others have said I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if the 7d2 came under your budget.  If it did I would guess that Canon didn't have quite the game changer they have talked about.

megmo

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
I was debating similarly last year and went for the 70d.  If you do go for it I think you will enjoy the upgrade though so don't worry on that account  :).  As others have said I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if the 7d2 came under your budget.  If it did I would guess that Canon didn't have quite the game changer they have talked about.

That's a really good point about it not being much of a game-changer if they offer it for around $1,200. Ok, you guys convinced me—I'm going to order the 70D!  :D

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »

preppyak

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 766
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
Seeing as the old 7D was released at $1699, I'd say the new one has no shot of being in your budget.

That said, depending on when you actually need the camera, the best prices are usually in October/November for cameras. There will be even more rebates and lens combo deals then, if you had the time to wait.

But either way, I'd say you're getting the 70D, just a matter of when

Don Haines

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 3074
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
I've been wanting to upgrade my camera body for about two years now... I'm still shooting with my old-ass XTi (yeah, yeah, I know) but it's not been a huge deal since I don't try to make any money off my photography. It's just a hobby, although I do shoot events and stuff for my family and friends sometimes (for no charge, just for fun).

Anyway, so I was all set to buy the 70D but then I read the last few posts on this site about the 7D replacement coming soon and I'm wondering if I should wait and see what that will have. My budget is $1,200, and while I'd like to have a new camera for the summer I really don't *need* one until early fall when I'm taking a big trip.

I know nobody here is a soothsayer, but I am really wrestling with what to do. Do I go ahead and get the 70D? At $1,000 it's well within my budget. Or do I wait until August (if that's when they're expected to announce) and see what the 7D replacement will have?

My concern with waiting is that it will be more than what I want to spend, and unless it's just really super awesome and way better than the 70D I can't see myself going above my budget. So I will have spent three months without a 70D just to go ahead and get the 70D anyway. But I'm also concerned that if they announce in August, it might not come out until later in the fall—after the trip I am really wanting a new camera for.

My concern with buying a 70D now is that the 7D replacement will be announced and it might be within, or around, my budget, and I'll regret getting the 70D instead of waiting for a presumably better camera. Or do people have an idea of what the replacement would likely sell for?
A 7D, before the "end of life" discounts, went for around $1500. It came out at $1700. There is no way that a 7D2 will come out in your budget range. An optimistic estimate would be $2000, a realistic estimate around $2300.
The best camera is the one in your hands

megmo

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »

A 7D, before the "end of life" discounts, went for around $1500. It came out at $1700. There is no way that a 7D2 will come out in your budget range. An optimistic estimate would be $2000, a realistic estimate around $2300.

This is *exactly* what I was wanting to hear. Now I have no reason to not go ahead and order the 70D. Thank you!  :)

bsb03

  • SX50 HS
  • **
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
I honestly think you will be blown away by the 70D. I started with an XTi years ago, then I upgraded to a 40D, and that was a major improvement. The focusing and overall quickness of the 70D along with the image quailty will make you really happy.

There is no doubt that a 7D replacement will be featured packed, but if you are currently happy with the XTi for the most part then I believe the 70D will fit you fine as an upgrade. And with the money you would save buying the 70D over the 7D replacement you could get a good lens.

dgatwood

  • 5D Mark III
  • ******
  • Posts: 678
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
I think indeed the 7D2 will be above your budget (and mine). I guess it to be between 1800 en 2200 Dollar (or Euro...). While it might be significantly better for video, I doubt it to be spectacularly better for stills. So I'd say: wait for official announcement and then buy a used 70D from an upgrader.

I have a hard time believing that they would price it $500 higher than the 6D.  The 7Dmk2 will probably offer some advantages in terms of FPS and AF, but the 6D will still inherently wipe the floor with it where image quality is concerned.  Based on that, a price range of $1500-$1700 seems more likely to me.

cellomaster27

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 161
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
I think indeed the 7D2 will be above your budget (and mine). I guess it to be between 1800 en 2200 Dollar (or Euro...). While it might be significantly better for video, I doubt it to be spectacularly better for stills. So I'd say: wait for official announcement and then buy a used 70D from an upgrader.

I have a hard time believing that they would price it $500 higher than the 6D.  The 7Dmk2 will probably offer some advantages in terms of FPS and AF, but the 6D will still inherently wipe the floor with it where image quality is concerned.  Based on that, a price range of $1500-$1700 seems more likely to me.

It makes sense... Really its an aps-c version of the 1Dx. Yes the 6D is excellent excellent but if you're looking at the specs.. It targets different needs. I'm assuming high fps, more than 19 cross type ad points, pro build, 100% viewfinder, >18mp, better noise control, maybe more dr???? ::D etc. it's going to be an amazing camera. 6D is a great full frame camera but lacks in a lot of specs. With the 6D, Canon was aiming at the low end affordable full frame dslr. 7DII is aiming at the highest of the aps-c range.
100D, EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM f3.5-5.6, EF 28mm f1.8 USM, EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 85mm f.18 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II, triggers, lighting, stands, remotes, etc...

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »

wickidwombat

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4489
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
i seriously doubt you would see any change out of $2500 for the 7D mk2 so with your budget just get the 70D now
APS-H Fanboy

Khalai

  • Canon AE-1
  • ***
  • Posts: 77
  • Let there be (flattering) light!
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
...better noise control, maybe more dr????...

Better than in 6D? Wishful thinking I guess :)
6D | 7D | 16-35/4L | 24-70/2.8L II | 50/1.4 (release 50/1.4 II already!) | 100/2.8L | 70-200/2.8L II

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 70D or wait and see what the 7D replacement holds?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »