May 24, 2018, 03:54:58 PM

Author Topic: 5Diii vs Sony A7s vs GH4  (Read 18180 times)

MichaelTheMaven

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Michael The Maven
5Diii vs Sony A7s vs GH4
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:06 PM »
Hey guys, Im planning a comparison video between the 5Diii, A7s and GH4. I have gotten a lot of good insight from you all in the past, but I am opening this up to suggestions you might want to see?

I looked at the GH4 and have one now, it is very impressive for video work. (Like amazingly). It ran into issues with sports focusing. 

What tests would you guys like to in a match-up between these three other than the typical ones I normally do:

- ISO Noise
- Sports Shooting
- Dynamic Range
- HDR
- Portrait Comparison
- Video Moire
- Etc?

I thank you in advance!

Michael

canon rumors FORUM

5Diii vs Sony A7s vs GH4
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:06 PM »

captainkanji

• EOS 80D
Re: 5Diii vs Sony A7s vs GH4
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:22:11 AM »
I liked the low light focus test you did with the 6D and D600.  Seeing as how the Sony is supposedly the new king of low light, this would interest me.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
Sigma 24 Art, EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

LostBoyNZ

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:43:27 AM »
I'd love an astrophotgraphy comparison, but that might be complicated. I'd love to see how each one does with say a 30 second exposure of the sky, in particular how high you can push it with the A7s compared to the others.

Renaissance

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:27:22 AM »
Just make sure to specify how much sharpening you do in post to the 5dmk3 footage.
I have been shooting it against the GH4 too, and I find that I prefer the 5d footage for portraits,
especially close-ups. Also, the 5d looks for cinematic and filmic, while the GH4 is looking too video-ish.
I like the GH4 though for high-detail nature work, or sports, but I don't prefer it for my style of narrative video work.

pedro

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:45:15 AM »
Please do a High ISO noise test in RAW with the 5D3 and the A7s. With the 5D3 files downsampled to 12 MP. I'd be especially intrested in 25k, 51k, 102k streetshots...Thanks and great offer and idea! This must be a lot of fun. Regards, Peter.
EF-S 10-22/ 6D, Samyang 14 F/2.8, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic, Canon G7x powershot
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

MichaelTheMaven

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »
Thank you for the input everyone- I appreciate it. I have all over you suggestions on my list.

I think the astrophotography comparison is a great idea, especially with the high ISO performance of the A7s. Ill do the low light focusing too (its rated down to -4 EV which is supposedly better than the 6D), and the noise performance tests.

Ill post any preliminary stuff here for feedback as well.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming if you have any more

LostBoyNZ

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 02:28:45 AM »
Thanks very much! I really look forward to seeing how the cameras do :)

If you happen to have an EF adapter for the Sony, it'd be interesting to see an auto focus test with an EF lens too. For a lot of Canon lenses owners who like the Sony, but don't want to switch all their lenses. I've heard the auto focus was very slow on the A7r, so I assume it'll be the same here.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 02:28:45 AM »

MichaelTheMaven

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:30:18 AM »
That is one thing I have already noticed about the E Mount, is that there aren't a lot of really wide aperture lenses for it, seems most of them are f4 or f2.8, only a handful of comparatively expensive 1.8s.

I have actually 2 different EF adapters I am testing, one has Autofocus, I hear it is a little slow, but I will definitely test it, I have a bunch of wide aperture Canon glass Ill put on it.

Now if only that Shogun Recorder was available....

mrsfotografie

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • M.R.S. Fotografie www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
That is one thing I have already noticed about the E Mount, is that there aren't a lot of really wide aperture lenses for it, seems most of them are f4 or f2.8, only a handful of comparatively expensive 1.8s.

I have actually 2 different EF adapters I am testing, one has Autofocus, I hear it is a little slow, but I will definitely test it, I have a bunch of wide aperture Canon glass Ill put on it.

Now if only that Shogun Recorder was available....

If you're willing to accept MF for WA purposes, that suddenly opens up a world of possibilities (and affordable glass) ;)
5D3, 5D2, G5X, G16 | SY14/2.8, V20/3.5, 28/2.8 IS, Ʃ35/1.4, 50/1.8, 50/1.8 STM, Ʃ50/1.4 EX, 100/2.8L IS Macro, 16-35/4L IS, 24-105/4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 2.0x III, 70-300L IS, Ʃ150-600 OS HSM S

Cheryll

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
  • Interest in lowlight photography/ video
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »

:

- ISO Noise  (very interesting downsample to 12 MP)
- Sports Shooting
- Dynamic Range (Yes)
- HDR ( with internal HDR function)
- Portrait Comparison
- Video Moire
- Etc?

When you have done it, please post the link to the comparison here

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:30:34 AM by Cheryll »
Dreams lend us the strength to continue, where hope has surrendered long ago

MichaelTheMaven

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »
I have the A7s in hand, also have a GH4 and 5Diii. I've done some initial testing and should have more show later tomorrow (July 2nd).

I have mixed feelings, but in my limited time playing around with it here are some thoughts:

- Great ISO performance, but the higher ISOs are indeed pretty grainy.
- Incredible Low Light focusing sensitivity. More than anything I have ever tested, but only with native Sony lenses.
- Im already wishing Sony had many more lenses made for it with very wide apertures
- Paired with the Metabones Speedbooster and wide aperture glass, it could be a low light monster, especially for video.
- The Metabones Adapter, (not the speed booster) AF pretty much did not work, at all. I might have a bad copy. I hear it is slower, but is still supposed to work, but I had no such success with it.

I was very impressed with the DR and colors it could see beyond my own eyes, as grainy as it was:

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=3288&sony-a7s-low-light-portrait-test-maxed-out-at-iso-409-600

There will probably be a sweet spot for low light portraits, but I would imagine it is around ISO 25,600.

Ill post the ISO charts later today.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:08:30 AM by MichaelTheMaven »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »
Thank you for the input everyone- I appreciate it. I have all over you suggestions on my list.

I think the astrophotography comparison is a great idea, especially with the high ISO performance of the A7s. Ill do the low light focusing too (its rated down to -4 EV which is supposedly better than the 6D), and the noise performance tests.

Ill post any preliminary stuff here for feedback as well.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming if you have any more
why not give the 6D a cameo in this aspect of the comparison since its supposed to be better in low light than the 5Dmk3...
APS-H Fanboy

MichaelTheMaven

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
It is tempting to bring the 6D into the tests as the next closest competitor, the A7S is so good at low light focusing I am shocked. It has me loving it one second and being disappointed the next. Took it out for sports shooting this am. 1.5fps on servo focusing?? Really? The A7S is not a camera for sports.

Ill have to redo the ISO noise chart of the A7s vs the 5Diii (a touch out of focus), but the A7S vs GH4 Noise Chart is now up. Huge advantage to the A7s.

We resized the GH4 down to 12MB. Also, from what Ive seen, the A7s has about a 1 stop advantage over the 5Diii in higher ISOs when resized, Again Ill have the 5Diii ISO chart up soon.

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=3290&sony-a7s-vs-panasonic-gh4-iso-noise-comparison-charts

M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »

sdsr

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »

- The Metabones Adapter, (not the speed booster) AF pretty much did not work, at all. I might have a bad copy. I hear it is slower, but is still supposed to work, but I had no such success with it.

AF on that adapter only works with a rather small number of lenses.  A list is posted on their website (though I've found that one or two work that aren't on that list including 28mm IS and, weirdly, the new 10-18mm EF-S); maybe the lenses you used aren't included? 

(But even if the AF doesn't work, you should still get EXIF data and in-camera aperture control, which for me is the main use of that adapter because Sony's mirrorless bodies - like most these days - make MF relatively easy.) 

Niki

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
I have the A7s in hand, also have a GH4 and 5Diii. I've done some initial testing and should have more show later tomorrow (July 2nd).

I have mixed feelings, but in my limited time playing around with it here are some thoughts:

- Great ISO performance, but the higher ISOs are indeed pretty grainy.
- Incredible Low Light focusing sensitivity. More than anything I have ever tested, but only with native Sony lenses.
- Im already wishing Sony had many more lenses made for it with very wide apertures
- Paired with the Metabones Speedbooster and wide aperture glass, it could be a low light monster, especially for video.

I was very impressed with the DR and colors it could see beyond my own eyes, as grainy as it was:

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=3288&sony-a7s-low-light-portrait-test-maxed-out-at-iso-409-600

There will probably be a sweet spot for low light portraits, but I would imagine it is around ISO 25,600.

Ill post the ISO charts later today.

5d3 + m.l.  for video and stills tests?? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »