September 16, 2014, 01:36:56 PM

Author Topic: Vignetting test with new EF 16-35 F/4L IS and Lee Filter Holder  (Read 4132 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Landscape folks,

I just ran a quick vignetting test with a new 16-35 F/4L IS with Lee Filter setup attached just now.

Method:

• Used a FF rig, a 5D3 in my case.
  • Shot at F/9 perhaps 18" away from a large white wall.  Confirmed focus once at beginning of series and then switched to MF for all shots so the lens wouldn't hunt on the bare white wall.
  • Used a Lee 77 wide angle adaptor ring directly on the lens' filter threads
  • Attached a 2-slot Foundation Kit holder with the 105mm CPL ring screwed on the front.
  • Ran a series with nothing in the Holder, and then ran it again with the 105 CPL attached.
  • Walked the FL from 16-24 in small manual increments (the gap in the ring is relatively small in between 16 - 20 and 20 - 24, so it was not an exact science.)
  • Cable release, tripod, LV, etc.
  • The CPL was a 105mm B+W Kaesemann filter (BWKCPMC105 at B&H)
  • The camera did not have peripheral illumination enabled, but I don't think it would have mattered as (a) there is no lens profile recognized by my 5D3 and (b) the type of vignetting this issue creates is a black and white hard obstruction.
  • Pulled Focal Length value from the EXIF from a Mac OS Command-I (info) pull.  No idea if there is a more exact way to get the value.

Results with the CPL ring on a two-slot Lee holder but NO CPL in place:

16mm - 24mm:  Clean.  No vignetting. 

Results with the CPL ring on a two-slot Lee holder and the CPL was in place:

16mm: Vignettes considerably.  Expected.
17mm: Vignettes.
18mm: Vignettes slightly.  Cloning/editing this out is only a small chore at this point.
19mm: Vignettes the smallest possible amount.  A trivial fix in PS or whatever you use.
20mm - 24mm: Clean.  No vignetting.

Pleasantly surprised.  I thought I'd need to painstakingly disassemble my Holder down to a 'two options' variety (one slot with CPL, two slots with no CPL ring, etc.) to use this holder at all with the 16-35.  But as my holder stands, I can shoot with 2 slots (no CPL) at 16mm and all three starting at 20mm.  I love it. 

That the only wildcards here that might differ on your FF rig with this lens are (definitely) the thickness of your CPL's front ring and (possibly) the version of your Lee Holder.  Lee is known to have snuck in weird versions over the years that are ever-so-slightly different.

Hope this is helpful to you!

- A

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:54:25 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Vignetting test with new EF 16-35 F/4L IS and Lee Filter Holder
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the great info! Saved me the trouble when I get my f/4 next week! All-in-all the f/4 looks to be a tad more forgiving (when coupled with a Lee filter holder) as compared to the f/2.8.

Otter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the info!  I have a 2 slot holder as well as a circular polarizer and was looking into getting this lens.  Is it better then the 2.8 in terms of vingnetting?

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the info!  I have a 2 slot holder as well as a circular polarizer and was looking into getting this lens.  Is it better then the 2.8 in terms of vingnetting?

I don't have the 2.8, so I couldn't say. 

My test was principally to address how much plastic/ring/leading edge physical crap Canon put in front of the front element at 16mm that would push the entire Lee holder too far 'out' from the 16mm FOV.  The answer is:  not much, and I'm grateful for that.

- A

Otter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »

I don't have the 2.8, so I couldn't say. 

My test was principally to address how much plastic/ring/leading edge physical crap Canon put in front of the front element at 16mm that would push the entire Lee holder too far 'out' from the 16mm FOV.  The answer is:  not much, and I'm grateful for that.

- A

Great to know, thanks again.  Vingnetting has always been a pain for me.  I currently have the 16-35mm I(I will pick the F/4L when I can sell my 2.8 I) and with the Lee holder and 2 slots it definitely vignettes at 16mm pretty badly, so canon must of improved something somewhere, seeing you get 2 slots and no vignetting at 16mm.  This is pretty exciting to me!  I have ordered the wide version of the B+W 105mm polarizer, so it will be interesting to see where what that vingettes at as well.

Spooky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »
Just to add, I bought a 105 - 77 step up ring and have successfully used this directly on the lens with the Lee polariser with no vignetting at 16mm. Just need to be careful to avoid banding of a blue sky...

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
Just to add, I bought a 105 - 77 step up ring and have successfully used this directly on the lens with the Lee polariser with no vignetting at 16mm. Just need to be careful to avoid banding of a blue sky...

Agree.  If I am using a CPL for a wide angle shot, I'm only using it for reflections and water, not for darkening a blue sky.  I hate that field of view related CPL darkening.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »

NancyP

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
Thanks for the information.

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »
This is very helpful.  I'm still using the 17-40 but hope to migrate to the 16-35 f/4 shortly.  I've been in the process of trying to figure out the Lee holder/CPL/UWA conundrum.  Next step:  order the 105 ring and the B&W CPL.  Thanks.
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:05:58 PM »
This is very helpful.  I'm still using the 17-40 but hope to migrate to the 16-35 f/4 shortly.  I've been in the process of trying to figure out the Lee holder/CPL/UWA conundrum.  Next step:  order the 105 ring and the B&W CPL.  Thanks.
Before you pull the trigger on the 105 CPL, you should consider the wonderpana system:
http://www.wonderpana.com/

I haven't used it, but it's basically a Lee-style system with much larger filters so that the vignetting problem is a non-issue for UWA focal lengths.  If you want to stack stuff and have a CPL at 16mm, this is the system you should look into.

That said, I love my Lee setup.  It's well built and has industry standard sizing so I am not married to first party 4x6 filters or CPLs.  And it's flexible and powerful.  I can double my ND grads on harsh sunlight, stack an ND grad with a 10 stop ND, and now with a front ring the CPL is an independent consideration if I need to manage the sky (only for longer FL) or reflections (at any FL).  The only time I need to juggle/think is between 16-20mm, and that's fine by me.

- A

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »
Before you pull the trigger on the 105 CPL, you should consider the wonderpana system:
http://www.wonderpana.com/

I haven't used it, but it's basically a Lee-style system with much larger filters so that the vignetting problem is a non-issue for UWA focal lengths.  If you want to stack stuff and have a CPL at 16mm, this is the system you should look into.

That said, I love my Lee setup.  It's well built and has industry standard sizing so I am not married to first party 4x6 filters or CPLs.  And it's flexible and powerful.  I can double my ND grads on harsh sunlight, stack an ND grad with a 10 stop ND, and now with a front ring the CPL is an independent consideration if I need to manage the sky (only for longer FL) or reflections (at any FL).  The only time I need to juggle/think is between 16-20mm, and that's fine by me.

- A
[/quote]

Thanks for the advise, but I have been using the Lee system (so far, the Big Stopper and a set of hard ND grads that I have also been using as straight NDs - planning to add real NDs and some soft grads soon).  I have been enjoying the system.  But, I have been limping along, putting my 77mm CPL between the lens and the Lee.  It's nearly impossible to rotate the CPL then set the grads (at least without getting finger prints all over).  Hence taking the next step and adding the 105 CPL ring and CPL.  Like you, I will need to deal with the 16/17 to around 20mm. 

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
My test setup:
5d Mark II, tripod mounted, 18" away, EF 16-35mm f/4L IS, shooting at f/8, B+W 77mm XS-Pro 007 front filter, Lee wide-angle adaptor, Lee holder with two slots, 105mm ring, and a B+W Extra Wide KSM Circular Polarizer.

My results were the same; it vignettes ever so slightly at 19mm and is completely clear by 20mm. Removing just the 77mm XS-Pro 007, I have the same ever-so-slight vignetting at 17mm and it's clear at 18mm.

If you want the maximum usable range on your 16-35mm with the CPL attached, get the Extra Wide CPL from B+W and remove the protective front filer: vignette-free from 18-35mm. If you insist on keeping the protective front filter on, just understand that you're limiting yourself to 20-35mm.

As has been mentioned, you can always carry a second Lee holder with only one slot. I've got no vignetting at 16mm with B+W 007, wide angle adaptor, Lee holder with one slot, 105mm ring, and the B+W EW CPL. You'll just have to decide between long exposure and balanced lighting.
Gear! When do we get gear?!

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
My test setup:
5d Mark II, tripod mounted, 18" away, EF 16-35mm f/4L IS, shooting at f/8, B+W 77mm XS-Pro 007 front filter, Lee wide-angle adaptor, Lee holder with two slots, 105mm ring, and a B+W Extra Wide KSM Circular Polarizer.

My results were the same; it vignettes ever so slightly at 19mm and is completely clear by 20mm. Removing just the 77mm XS-Pro 007, I have the same ever-so-slight vignetting at 17mm and it's clear at 18mm.

If you want the maximum usable range on your 16-35mm with the CPL attached, get the Extra Wide CPL from B+W and remove the protective front filer: vignette-free from 18-35mm. If you insist on keeping the protective front filter on, just understand that you're limiting yourself to 20-35mm.

As has been mentioned, you can always carry a second Lee holder with only one slot. I've got no vignetting at 16mm with B+W 007, wide angle adaptor, Lee holder with one slot, 105mm ring, and the B+W EW CPL. You'll just have to decide between long exposure and balanced lighting.

Very informative.  Thank you.  I think you just cost me something north of $500 (B+W 105 Extra Wide CPL, 105 mm ring and extra Lee holder (for one slot only).  I have been on the fence, but this seems to be the way to go.  Oh, and that's not counting the difference between what I get for my 17-40 and what the 16-35 F4 costs me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

NancyP

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Thanks for posting this information. I have been considering buying this lens, and wondered how it would behave with the Lee system.

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »
Instead of adapting for and purchasing a 105mm CPL, just get a 4x4 CPL from Lee or other mfgs...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/216637-REG/LEE_Filters_PLC_G_4x4_Circular_Polarizer_Glass.html

"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »