September 16, 2014, 05:29:26 AM

Author Topic: D810 users are seeing spots  (Read 6430 times)

sarangiman

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D810 Product Advisory
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
most of what this D810 has over the D800E actually done with FW updates, which Nikon seldom does.

Like the redesigned mirror & shutter mechanism, the complete lack of OLPF, faster processor, and true ISO 64 along with the shot noise and DR benefits it can bring?

And for high resolution required work, we do not need or want the mirrorslap anyway, and thus the A7R would be much better choice for most of us.

Nikon is seriously doomed.

That's ironic, b/c the A7R's shutter shock is literally unavoidable (at longer focal lengths), while the D810 at least offers an option for an electronic 1st curtain that - when combined with mirror up+delay - can completely get rid of camera-induced shake. So, despite Nikon's poor implementation of electronic 1st curtain (only available in Mirror Up mode), at least it offers a way to completely eliminate shutter shock. The only way to mitigate it on the A7R is to add a ton of mass to your camera (which kind of defeats the whole point of the little FF wonder), and even then you may or may not completely eliminate it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
Re: D810 users are seeing spots
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
Keep grasping those straws, dilbert.  I hear they come in handy if you want to suck.  ;)

Neuro, you crack me up.   ;D
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »
Does anyone here remember how long it took Canon to address issues with the 5D Mark II? It definitely wasn't this quick!

Does anyone remember issues with the 5DII ? Talk about clutching at straws.

I received on of the first 5D MK II's about November 27, and a week or so later, on December 8, reports of a issue from black spots appearing on bright highlights when people shot Christmas lights.  NR normally made them go away, so many did not see them.  I had to review my shots to find one that had them.

On December 15, about two weeks after the first Camera deliveries, Canon announced that they were looking at the issue.  Canon modified the firmware to eliminate them.  On January 9, three weeks later, Canon issues a firmware update to fix them.

So, it took ~ a whole month from initial reports to verify the issue, develop a firmware update, test it and release it.

How many D810 users will have their camera fixed in a month?

I also got my 5DII when it was first released and have never had an issue. Neither have I ever updated the firmware - 'cos I never do  ;)

The 5DII must be remembered as one of the best sorted cameras right from its inception; not a good example to use !

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »
Does anyone here remember how long it took Canon to address issues with the 5D Mark II? It definitely wasn't this quick!

So, it took ~ a whole month from initial reports to verify the issue, develop a firmware update, test it and release it.

Indeed.  Plus, Canon's fix was a downloadable firmware update.  Reports to date indicate the D810 fix is also a firmware update, but users must bring/send the camera to a service center for the update to be applied.  I suppose that's better than a 'fix' of having to wait for then buy the D820, but still...   ::)

Keep grasping those straws, dilbert.  I hear they come in handy if you want to suck.  ;)

Curious that the camera must be sent to a service center for the fix to be applied.

Kind of like how if you have a 1DC and just want a regular firmware upgrade.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »

I received on of the first 5D MK II's about November 27, and a week or so later, on December 8, reports of a issue from black spots appearing on bright highlights when people shot Christmas lights.  NR normally made them go away, so many did not see them.  I had to review my shots to find one that had them.

On December 15, about two weeks after the first Camera deliveries, Canon announced that they were looking at the issue.  Canon modified the firmware to eliminate them.  On January 9, three weeks later, Canon issues a firmware update to fix them.

I also got my 5DII when it was first released and have never had an issue. Neither have I ever updated the firmware - 'cos I never do  ;)

The 5DII must be remembered as one of the best sorted cameras right from its inception; not a good example to use !

Whilst it may not have impacted you, I know people for whom it did delay their purchasing decision until after it was fixed/resolved.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »
Curious that the camera must be sent to a service center for the fix to be applied.

Kind of like how if you have a 1DC and just want a regular firmware upgrade.

Except that it's adding features to the 1D C vs. fixing a defect for the D810.  Oh, and one is a >$10K camera intended for cinema professionals, and the other is a "versatile camera for versatile shooters."

Whilst it may not have impacted you, I know people for whom it did delay their purchasing decision until after it was fixed/resolved.

A whole month?  How tragic.  That's assuming they could even get ahold of a copy in December, 2008 since initial availability was pretty limited. 

Once again, you've managed to make your comic strip namesake look comparatively brilliant. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »

HEHE.. that makes me chuckle. :P

yup, I remember seeing those xmas light black dot examples and I waited until after a FW update before getting one - but no matter what firmware version I ran on mine, it was a bandy bass terd of a camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »

HEHE.. that makes me chuckle. :P

Bet I was chuckling a lot louder when I read your complaints of noise in skies shot on the 5DII.

I stand my my earlier remark; the mkII was ( and still is) a well sorted camera.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
...no matter what firmware version I ran on mine, it was a bandy bass terd of a camera.

Maybe if you took off the lens cap and/or didn't push the exposure 4-5 stops in post, you'd have had better luck...   ::)

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
but no matter what firmware version I ran on mine, it was a bandy bass terd of a camera.

Weird. You must have had a dud. Couldn't possibly have been user error.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/inter211/12086336096/
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/inter211/9181846945/in/photostream/
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/flatworldsedge/8113424031/
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/keris-tuah/6115806294/

Seriously??  How can you possibly conclude the 5DII can deliver good images if you are showing shots that were clearly taken without the lens cap properly covering the lens.  As everyone Aglet knows, the only way to properly evaluate IQ is to shoot a black frame with the lens cap in place, then push the exposure several stops.  How dare you show actual pictures of real scenes shot with the 5DII in some sort of misguided attempt to distract everyone from the proper way to evaluate IQ.  What abominable hubris!

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »
Weird. You must have had a dud. Couldn't possibly have been user error.

I'm sure I did get a dud.  Teach me to buy a first run of a new product! (Ooops, i did that again w d800s and XT1, no issues tho except the fuji's light leak)

The 5d2 banding flaw I first noticed in gray midtones and clear blue sky, then discovered I was not the only one complaining about it.
There were 2 sources of vertical banding. One was a FPN read noise with an 8 pixel cycle, like the 7D/60D/etc.

The other was a different issue, and actually the first flaw I'd noticed in the 5D2's smooth midtones.  After looking more closely I found the other noise issues.  Then I was just seriously annoyed!

But, back to the other banding issue.  I've also just discovered it in one of my recently acquired 2nd-hand Fuji XE1s.
About the central third of the sensor is affected.  When doing a dust-check at 200mm and f/22, I found this central region was also inhabited by wide bands of slightly lighter-darker areas, but not perfectly regular in alignment.  When I shot another test w-o any lens, I could no longer see this issue.  So it is some strange sort of interference effect?.. Anyone have a good guess?..  I thot it if was a simple interference it might make radial patterns but it created wider, relatively vertical bands.
When I still had the 5d2 I didn't try a no-lens shot to see if that effect was still there.
If I get some time, I'll post an example from the Fuji, it's very similar.

I suspect it might be minor misalignment of micro-lenses over their pixels producing subtle variations in effective QE.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
I see psolberg has already joined the party. Surely, dilbert can't be far behind ;D

2Hrs later:

Ding Ding!
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
FYI on Nikon's latest postmarket findings:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/19/nikon-europe-issues-product-advisory-d810/

I'm on the fence with this one.  Dust with the D600 100% should have been caught in evaluation period before launch.  But finding an issue that only shows up in crop mode + long exposures might be more of the weird lightning bolt of an issue you don't find until you release it to the masses.

- A

The point is that they denied issues with the D600, and recently agreed to replace all D600's in China with D610's.  We'll be seeing those D600's on ebay soon.

Hopefully, they have learned to react when a issue is spotted rather than go into denial.  That costs them much more than the eventual fix and loss of reputation.

This is one of the reasons I'm not fond of the idea of adding Nikon to my kit.

Does anyone know if Sony has had any such problems, and if so, how their customer support of the issue/turnaround time on a fix is?
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
I'll be renting one this fall to evaluate it with some ultra high DR fall foliage situations and will be sure to apply the firmware update, then report if I'm seeing dots on some long exposures I have planned.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »