September 18, 2014, 02:15:24 AM

Author Topic: I want a monopod, but I'm so cheap that Scrooge says to loosen the purse strings  (Read 2873 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I have had two... the same one actually, but I think I lost the first one... the reason I think I lost the first one is because my house is a Mess with a capital M.  It very well could just be hiding under that pile of dead cats.  :/

It was a Dolica Monpodhttp://www.amazon.com/Dolica-WT-1003-67-Inch-Lightweight-Monopod/dp/B000VZS2EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408930250&sr=8-1&keywords=dolica+monopod and it served a dual purpose... monopod for me and a walking stick for my daughter.  I'll admit... it was light enough in weight... I could convert it to put a ball head on it (though i didn't like the stability), it was strong enough that it could hold my camera gear and my daughter's weight... and it was less than $20... so perfect for me.

I primarily used it to pan side to side for my daughter's basketball games... so it worked just fine.  The only complaint I had about it is that the rubber grip would slide down and I would have to move it back up.  Small complaint... meh.

I came into a bit of free money for buying and selling some gear in less than week.  So I thought I would go ahead and replace the Dolica that I sold for $10.

So here's my wishlist for the new monopod.  I want something sturdy, well built (preferably with the flip latches), compatible with both heads and bodies (so both types of screws), and this is the sticking point... I want the three feet @ the bottom so it will stand without me holding onto it... and they should be retractable.   

I saw someone else's post... I'm 69" tall, and the heaviest load I would put on is the 5d mkiii and the 70-200mm f/2.8 (at present).

I kinda like this... http://www.adorama.com/SIBSRP204S.htmlbecause of the panning grip and the claw feet... but it doesn't have a head... and I would like a bonus head if I'm spending that much money... it also doesn't have the flip lock...

and I like this http://www.adorama.com/BEA48FBS4.html... flip lock, claw feet, and it does have a head... but that big panning grip is annoying... so I would probably not use the head that often. 

and I guess this is my 3rd option, http://www.adorama.com/BG682B234RC.html but the stick feet look like they wouldn't be ideal to use and the head isn't a ball head... so maybe it will take some getting used to, but it does have the flip locks...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/434422-REG/Manfrotto_560B_1_560B_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod.html And then there is this one... which has a fluid base for easy panning that is adjustable... and the flip locks... and while it isn't a ball head... it does have a head that's a bonus... and it has the feet I like... but that sansui... it appeals...

So I'm thinking my best best is to get the monopod I like and just buy a separate ball head that I'm fond of... but that's more money and suddenly my bonus free cash is spent and now I'm spending money that I don't want to spend... So I would greatly appreciate if yall can point me in a direction on a monopod yall like and head... ideally in one purchase which would reduce the cost... huff.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:34:32 PM by jdramirez »
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Are you sure you want a monopod with feet? To me they seem like the worst of two worlds - too bulky for a monopod and too unstable for a tripod. Monopods don't need the super stability of a tripod. I have one of the inexpensive Manfrottos and it works fine.

I would also recommend a tilt-pan head like the Manfrotto 56 3D junior head.

The way I use my monopod is to stabilize the camera and then just tilt the whole thing it up or down to track the subject. Keep IS on and together they work fine. I don't care that the head is rigid since I don't use it for anything but a support for the camera. I like the tilt shift heads because I can shoot vertically as we'll.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
I kinda like this... http://www.adorama.com/SIBSRP204S.htmlbecause of the panning grip and the claw feet... but it doesn't have a head... and I would like a bonus head if I'm spending that much money... it also doesn't have the flip lock...
I recently purchased this one from a local dealer.  They had it priced wrong, same price as the non-footed version.
I absolutely love it.  The panning handle has been more useful than expected.  The feet are very sturdy, much more so than the Manfrotto(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/434422-REG/Manfrotto_560B_1_560B_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod.html) this replaced and are easily replaceable unlike the Manfrotto.  The main draw back is the twist lock.  The top one sticks a little.  Not a big deal as I usually set this one and adjust the other two as necessary.  I pair it with this ball head: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843323-REG/Vanguard_BBH_300_BBH_300_Ballhead.html.
It easily supports my gripped 5DIII and 300 2.8.
5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Sorry.. I didn't quite get why you didn't like the 560B.
I tried it and liked it a lot- if I ever upgrade my monopod that's what I'll get.
And I tried both swivel and ball heads on a monopod- a swivel head is much easier to control.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Are you sure you want a monopod with feet? To me they seem like the worst of two worlds - too bulky for a monopod and too unstable for a tripod. Monopods don't need the super stability of a tripod. I have one of the inexpensive Manfrottos and it works fine.

I would also recommend a tilt-pan head like the Manfrotto 56 3D junior head.

The way I use my monopod is to stabilize the camera and then just tilt the whole thing it up or down to track the subject. Keep IS on and together they work fine. I don't care that the head is rigid since I don't use it for anything but a support for the camera. I like the tilt shift heads because I can shoot vertically as we'll.
Understand your points.  For my style, primarily small birds, butterflies, etc, the swiveling foot coupled with a ball head allows me to maneuver without having to pick up the whole rig and still provides excellent stability.

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Sorry.. I didn't quite get why you didn't like the 560B.
I tried it and liked it a lot- if I ever upgrade my monopod that's what I'll get.
And I tried both swivel and ball heads on a monopod- a swivel head is much easier to control.
It's not that I didn't like it.  I had the original version when it first came out.  One of the feet broke, I put too much stress on it, after about two years of use.  I would have had to replace the entire foot assembly which cost nearly as much as a new monopod.  The swivel head that came with it was fine but not Arca-Swiss compatible.

jdramirez

• View Profile
I watched some youtube videos last night... and I think the manfrotto and the sirui are definitely the leaders in the club house.  I have to shower now... but I'll go into further detail later.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Dear Friend Mr. jdramirez
My best Monopod  ( for 8-9 years ) = Manfrotto  681 B = $ 75 US Dollars ---But You need to buy the Head , as best as your money can buy. Yes, This Monopod  can carry the dead load = 26.4 Pounds, Yes I use with my 600 mm Lens too.   NO, You do not need Flimzy Feet= Useless and add more weight to the Monopods---And Cost more too = Manfrotto 682B = $ 110 US Dollars
Enjoy
Surapon

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-681B-Professional-Aluminum-Monopod/dp/B0000WKYU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408974293&sr=8-1&keywords=monopod+681b

PS. Cheap Monopods are not good in the long run, We need to know the Most Weight of our camera and the Biggest Lens that we have, to know the  Monopods Type that can carry the Dead Weight.---BUY THE GREAT ONE = FOREVER.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:46:08 AM by surapon »

jdramirez

• View Profile
My problem with the manfrotto is the screw.. I don't like that small hollow attachment to get the screw size right for the ball head.  I have lost one of those before and I'm sure it would happen again. 

I really appreciate the response, but I think the seusei is the leader in the clubhouse.

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I have never been a fan of the "chicken foot" type of monopod. I have several Manfrotto monopods and have not had one let me down once.

Shooting with a monopod does take some change in technique.  I learned that the hard way   :-[

(I seem to learn most things about photography the "hard" way)   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
My problem with the manfrotto is the screw.. I don't like that small hollow attachment to get the screw size right for the ball head.  I have lost one of those before and I'm sure it would happen again. 

I really appreciate the response, but I think the seusei is the leader in the clubhouse.
I have the same monopod as Surapon and it's bulletproof as well.  The secret to the issue you describe is a couple of drops of Loctite - either color depending on your desire for permanent or semi-permanent.  As for the head, here's what I use and my apologies for the self-reference:

If you're shooting smaller lenses (i.e. the 300 2.8 and smaller), you can use what RRS used to call the Monopod Solution using a Manfrotto tilt head and one of their clamps.  It's what I use and I love it - you can't beat it for the price.  You can download a PDF here:
http://w9if.net/iweb/photohints/cameramonopod/MonopodSolution.pdf

They still recommend it (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.I/id.55/.f):

The Low Capacity Solution

When our MH-01 Monopod Head is more than you need, consider the Manfrotto 234 Tilt Head (formerly known as the Manfrotto 3232). Really Right Stuff no longer sells this head, but we recommended it for years. Great for light loads, this simple and inexpensive tilt head is only rated for 5.5 pounds. Mount our B2-Pro clamp directly to the Manfrotto head and you have a reasonably robust tilt head with quick-release capabilties.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

jdramirez

• View Profile
The last five times I've used my tripod...

At home, at home, at home, at home, at home.

The last time I used the troops outside was when I was doing some mediocre astrophotography in a corn field.

I did take it to a softball tournament, but it stayed in the car.

I think I'm more likely to take a monopod (with feet) to places and More likely to use it... though I'm not certain...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I purchased a redged monopod after looking at all of them.  I'm monopod poor, its my 3rd one, and the only one I use.  I use it with my 5D MK III.  It does not have flip locks, it does not need them, since just barely tightening the rotating locks is enough.  With one hand, I can open it, its really the nicest low cost one I have,  Yes, I have a Manfrotto with Flip locks, Its a old battleship model, it will rake anything, but its also heavy.

I paid $75 for it.  Amazon no longer carries it, I guess they are slow sellers?  Redged is not a household name in the USA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ASAPIU/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

canon rumors FORUM

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
I have 2 mono pods and find them both to be excellent for their designed purposes. The small one is a Gitzo GM2541, rather pricey but very strong and ridiculously light - also I don't think it will ever need replacing. The other is a Sirui P424. Not quite as well made as the Gitzo but more reasonably priced, pretty light and holds anything - this is what I use for my Canon 800mm.
I am not a fan of heads on mono pods but where I need significant vertical movement I use the Sirui L10 head which is pretty good with lenses up to a 300 F2.8 + a pro body.
If the Gitzo is too expensive then have a look at the Sirui P324 (my P424 is simply more than you need) as it is a fine robust mono pod that is reasonably light and not silly money.
You may notice that neither of my mono pods have flip locks (neither do my tripods) there is a reason for that - I have used flip locks in the past and do not consider them suitable/trustworthy for tripods and mono pods. Both the Gitzo and Sirui twist locks are far superior and much easier to use, as well as being MUCH more secure.

jdramirez

• View Profile
I have 2 mono pods and find them both to be excellent for their designed purposes. The small one is a Gitzo GM2541, rather pricey but very strong and ridiculously light - also I don't think it will ever need replacing. The other is a Sirui P424. Not quite as well made as the Gitzo but more reasonably priced, pretty light and holds anything - this is what I use for my Canon 800mm.
I am not a fan of heads on mono pods but where I need significant vertical movement I use the Sirui L10 head which is pretty good with lenses up to a 300 F2.8 + a pro body.
If the Gitzo is too expensive then have a look at the Sirui P324 (my P424 is simply more than you need) as it is a fine robust mono pod that is reasonably light and not silly money.
You may notice that neither of my mono pods have flip locks (neither do my tripods) there is a reason for that - I have used flip locks in the past and do not consider them suitable/trustworthy for tripods and mono pods. Both the Gitzo and Sirui twist locks are far superior and much easier to use, as well as being MUCH more secure.

Between the p324 and the p 424, there is only a $30 price difference... If that's the case, I'd get the latter.  Having said that... I'm an aluminum kind of guy. Carbon fiber is nice... it is lighter, but not at twice the cost.

canon rumors FORUM