July 31, 2014, 06:33:39 PM

Author Topic: Earthshatteringly Disappointed With 7D  (Read 52630 times)

Trovador

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photography Portfolio
Re: Earthshatteringly Disappointed With 7D
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Huh? I shoot everything with my 7D and never do any noise reduction in post process, I mainly shoot raw and have never had any problems with noise on ISOs up to 1600... I've printed my pictures on sizes up to 40''x56''...here's a gallery of some of my pics (landscapes, portraits, action, macro, you name it...)

http://www.500px.com/ruddyflorentino
Canon 6D+7D; 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS, 50 1.4, 100L 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye
www.ruddyflorentino.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
Nikon wins in the noise area but I probably won't be switching soon

http://www.prophotohome.com/news/2010/01/23/high-iso-comparison-canon-1d-mark-iv-nikon-d3s-canon-7d-nikon-d300s/

Uhhh you do realize what you are comparing the 7d to right?  The closest camera to it competition wise (especially at the time of release) was the nikon D300(s)... according to your test, the 12MP at 100% is getting owned by the 7D... yes, compared to the 1.3 APC-H sensor (bigger sensor) and the D3s (full frame) the 7D will struggle, but come one... apples and oranges...  the best comparison is the nikon D300s, Sony's 24MP monster... ehh... that's it.. well for the most part...  but in your own link you posted... the 7D in High ISO is superior hands down to nikon. 

Is the 7D perfect, no, but for where it sits in it's class, it's still one of the best competitors in the APS-C arena.  As far as noise, you can add in camera NR, but really, you're bitching about ISO noise 1600 and above at 100%?  Really?  Seriously?  Are you printing ISO 3200 at 20x30?  Plus as neuro suggested many times, it's easy to fix noise in post however if you miss the shot with the 5d2, it's not nearly as easy to fix. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Jettatore

« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »
Huh? I shoot everything with my 7D and never do any noise reduction in post process, I mainly shoot raw and have never had any problems with noise on ISOs up to 1600... I've printed my pictures on sizes up to 40''x56''...here's a gallery of some of my pics (landscapes, portraits, action, macro, you name it...)

Really good photographs Trovador.  What lenses and extras do you have in your kit if you don't mind me asking?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:29:57 PM by Jettatore »

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
There are WAY too many 7D users complaining about the noise.

There are also way too many people who spend all day studying mundane snapshots at 100% so they can fight about equipment in online forums. Personally I'm far more interested in the opinion of photographers making prints and online galleries, i.e. producing and viewing photographs at normal sizes for the purpose of enjoying photography.

How do you sharpen the subject without sharpening the noise too?

One technique I occasionally use is to apply sharpening from within Noise Ninja, apart from any separate NR step. I turn down the noise sliders so that they just balance out the sharpening. As long as I balance the two correctly it ends up working pretty well and sharpens detail without enhancing grain or excessively smoothing anything out.

Bottom line, viewing the 7D at 100% is SAND PAPER.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos7d/downloads/001.jpg

Bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about.

The proof is in the pudding.

Agreed. Which is why nobody talks about noise while looking at my 17x22" portfolio. I make prints. I don't spend hours obsessing over 100% views. You would be shocked at how much noise is literally invisible even at larger print sizes. As my post processing has improved I have reworked some images to further reduce noise, only to see no difference in a 24" print.

Obsessing over 100% views is the height of ignorance. A 100% view means nothing outside of the context of the total resolution and maximum possible print size. It's like looking at 35mm and 4x5 film under a microscope and saying 4x5 has just as much grain and softer details. Then spending all day arguing in forums that 4x5 is no good and people should just use 35mm. A person who did this would be laughed out of the forum for failing to realize the context of the microscopic view, and the fact that 4x5 can make much larger prints which will be sharper and cleaner than any 35mm print.

Yeah, these arguments about noise at 100% look that stupid.

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »

Nice work!

(sarcasm on) But you better zoom in to 300% because I think there's noise and you need a D3s  ;D (sarcasm off)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »

Nice work!

(sarcasm on) But you better zoom in to 300% because I think there's noise and you need a D3s  ;D (sarcasm off)

Hah! That's good.

I would just add, Trovador, [sarcasm] the difference is that you are trying to take pictures that people will find interesting. You should know better than that on this forum. [/sarcasm]
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Jettatore

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »

Also I'm staring at this noise test page someone posted: http://www.prophotohome.com/news/2010/01/23/high-iso-comparison-canon-1d-mark-iv-nikon-d3s-canon-7d-nikon-d300s/.  The D3s is a $5,200 camera so you can just ignore that one along with the ID Mark IV for this comparison, although it is obvious that the D3s has built in noise removal as well.  The D300s, just like the D3s has built in noise removal processing, which is really not ideal as the process is permanent when the camera is doing it.  Better to have full manual control over noise removal in post than to have the camera do a potentially sloppy job, or at least make sure that whatever the camera does do, can be un-done and redone losslessly in post.  Just look at the resolved detail of the D300s compared to the 7D, it's not capturing nearly as much information and is no where near as crisp, you aren't even getting usable information out of the D300s in these examples.  By the time you get those D300s pictures through post you still have nothing to work with if you plan on using the shots that close up like this, yet all the shots of the 7D, at least below 6400 would clean up quite nicely.  The 7D is hands down kicking the noise on the D300's ass and then some simply because that data under that noise is actually usable and you can manually clean the noise in post, those D300s shots that 'appear' to have less noise are useless.  If you couldn't see that the first time, then look again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
wow that D3s is amazing, totally kicking the 1D4's ass
APS-H Fanboy

Cfunkexplosion

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2011, 09:05:13 PM »
I went to the Newseum in DC recently, and viewed the small but quite excellent Pulitzer photo exhibit.  Strange that it did not occur to me to bring a jeweler's loupe to give the images a proper examination.  Now that I think about it, how did I ever enjoy photos by Cartier-Bresson or Adams?  Such noisy rubbish!

Everyone needs a hobby, and I support the gearheads' right to obsess over the minutiae of technical details.   Technical details of course matter, but when they become the entirety of the interest, those individuals are gearheads alone.  That the machinery is a camera is of no real importance, and I feel little compulsion to call them photographers.
Canon 5D3  /  Canon 8-15L  /  Canon 35L  /  Canon 85L  /  Canon 100L  /  Canon 580EX II  / Canon MR 14-EX

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
I went to the Newseum in DC recently, and viewed the small but quite excellent Pulitzer photo exhibit.  Strange that it did not occur to me to bring a jeweler's loupe to give the images a proper examination.  Now that I think about it, how did I ever enjoy photos by Cartier-Bresson or Adams?  Such noisy rubbish!

Everyone needs a hobby, and I support the gearheads' right to obsess over the minutiae of technical details.   Technical details of course matter, but when they become the entirety of the interest, those individuals are gearheads alone.  That the machinery is a camera is of no real importance, and I feel little compulsion to call them photographers.

+1

I went to a Cartier-Bresson exhibit in Chicago a little over a year ago. It included some early work that he printed (before he got to the point where he left the printing to others) My conclusion: the guy couldn't print worth crap! Muddy tones. Dust spots everywhere. But did it matter? Hell no.

Take a good look at Robert Frank's The Americans. Even in print you can see the massive amounts of grain and lots and lots of less than crisp focus. But, that doesn't stop it from being the most important book of photographs of the last 50 years.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

briansquibb

« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2011, 01:25:40 AM »

I went to a Cartier-Bresson exhibit in Chicago a little over a year ago. It included some early work that he printed (before he got to the point where he left the printing to others) My conclusion: the guy couldn't print worth crap! Muddy tones. Dust spots everywhere. But did it matter? Hell no.

C-B was one of my early inspirational togs - street is still where my heart is.

From last night in our local 'clubbing corner' - and yes I take street with the 400 2.8 on tripod and gimbal :) I suspect the 7D would struggle with iso 4000 whereas the 1D4 is OK - it prints better than it displays

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:30:03 AM by briansquibb »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2011, 04:14:27 AM »
I think the gentleman has had it with high ISO noise discussions!  Great shot.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »
and yes I take street with the 400 2.8 on tripod and gimbal

A 400/2.8 pointing at random drunken strangers at night...

... you're a brave brave man.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2011, 06:14:25 AM »
and yes I take street with the 400 2.8 on tripod and gimbal

A 400/2.8 pointing at random drunken strangers at night...

... you're a brave brave man.

Actually they think you are press, I find it safer than with more modest kit.

I get the police suggesting I go to places where people are 'boisterous'. The sight of a 'press' person gets them playing to the camera.

This type of shooting is one of the reasons I moved from the 7D to the 1D4 with the good low light (my definition)  shooting.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:16:26 AM by briansquibb »

briansquibb

« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2011, 06:38:14 AM »
This is for the person that complained about the police and us Brits

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2011, 06:38:14 AM »