September 16, 2014, 03:58:25 AM

Author Topic: GorillaPods and other Small Tripods  (Read 14518 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: GorillaPods and other Small Tripods
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »
It have successfully used it with the 7D with the 17-40mm f/4L on it, but I would be dubious about using it for a gripped camera or 1D.

This shot of Flume Cascade in NH was with a gripped 7D and 17-55mm on a GorillaPod SLR-Zoom with the little BH-1 ballhead.  The 'pod legs were wrapped around the guard rail along side Rt. 302, right over the gorge.

EOS 7D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM @ 17mm, 1/3 s, f/22, ISO 100
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 11:03:53 PM »
I've got a little off brand one that is sorta like the gorilla pod, it hold way more weight than it says it does.

It holds my 60D + A shotgun mic + a lens.

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
I have the pre-ballhead SLR model, and took it into a stadium for holding a gripped 7d with a lens for video.  It did ok, but getting it wrapped just perfect became a pain.  IF you can clamp on to something, it would be easier - I'm in love with the Manfrotto Super Clamp with a ball head. 

What I don't see is how you're getting the same shot from a gorillapod compared to what a tripod would get you.  Maybe a walking pole / monopod and technique to brace yourself to get that steady shot.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:24 AM »
Just for anyone who needs anymore convincing about the holding-power of a Gorillapod, have some samples I just shot around the house. (sorry about quality, my good camera was the model for these shots)

Firstly, one of my typical macro-setups, 7D, 70-300L, all 68mm of kenko-tubes (and speedlite off to the side). Note the way i'm working with the ballhead-position, helps a lot with stability.

Second is a typical tree-branch shot with my EF-s 15-85, but instead I used my clothes-line pole, it's a lot more slippery than your average tree branch. 5' off the ground, I left it there for a full 5 minutes while I went inside to find my P&S without thinking twice if it would fall.

Third is a fence-shot, trick is to wind the two outermost legs as wide as possible from one direction, the middle leg comes from the other direction to hold it tight. This way it helps stop the wind blowing it over. I've taken panoramae with my samyang 35/1.4 in this exact position in the past.

Main thing to remember about a gorillapod is not expect or trust it too much (even a $1000 gitzo can blow over in enough wind), it just takes a little bit more getting used to than a normal tripod...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 02:59:34 AM »
Ah yeah, and another one from a year ago, when I had my 70-300 non-L.

Woke up one morning and spent about 3 hours taking a macro-shot of an orchid for no real reason, then had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments, so took a photo of the setup.
Note that the tip of the lens is actually being held up by the foot of one of the Gorillapod legs, it certainly worked well enough.

(I should go work for Joby at this rate)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

pp77

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
I am loving my gorillapod focus (with Manfrotto 494RC2 ball head) when going out for hiking. Lightweight, robust and small enough to be tied to the backpack. Of course it can not fully replace a sturdy tripod but often you do not want to carry one up the mountains.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:52:11 PM by pp77 »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
Some good examples there dr croubie.

Another example of how the Gorillapods can come in handy.

On set and our director decided that he wanted some handheld shots.
Didn't have a dedicated shoulder rig with me so i improvised.

Was actually quite stable.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
Some good examples there dr croubie.

Another example of how the Gorillapods can come in handy.

On set and our director decided that he wanted some handheld shots.
Didn't have a dedicated shoulder rig with me so i improvised.

Was actually quite stable.

Love it!  Creative problem solving at it's best.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
I have a gorillapod Focus, and am not happy with it.  I really don't need to attach a camera to a pole very often, but I frequently need a small steady tripod.  The gorilla pod s small, but not steady.  The legs all never be straight again after you bend them once and as a result a more like springs than tripod legs.

I'm sure some people love this tripod, just not me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »