October 20, 2014, 02:14:16 PM

Author Topic: Should i go for the 1DX or the 5D Mk III?  (Read 23044 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Should i go for the 1DX or the 5D Mk III?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
ummmmmmm.......should I buy a camera that has just been announced with no release date, or go for the nonexistent model that no one knows anything about?  Decisions, decisions..............

I wonder about this board sometimes.

What do you wonder about?  Canon Rumors is all about rumors and speculation.  It's right in the name.  And as for threads that discuss plans to buy now or wait for the next models, this one is actually quite valid.  Anyone who wants to be sure to have a 1DX for next year will have to pre-order as soon as they can which means they have to make that decision in the very near future.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
Assuming the 5D Mark III will be a high MP camera, it would be good for weddings, probably won't be the fastest camera, but it could be pushing 30MP+ images. 

If you strictly shoot weddings I'd go with the 5D Mark III, but not enough is know about it yet to make that answer concrete.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
neither, buy a cheap 5D2 now and then you can shoot for the next 6 months while you wait for the 1Dx early adopters to work the bugs out and wait for actual release on the 5D3 then make a decision. Or you can keep dreaming about taking a picture with a fantasy camera....
APS-H Fanboy

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
neither, buy a cheap 5D2 now and then you can shoot for the next 6 months while you wait for the 1Dx early adopters to work the bugs out and wait for actual release on the 5D3 then make a decision. Or you can keep dreaming about taking a picture with a fantasy camera....

The original poster (but not in the original post) already stated he currently uses a 1Ds3.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »
ah gotcha, i did actually check the orinal post and didnt see anything there, If he uses a 1D body already it will take some getting used to the reduced features of a 5D3. I would say go for the 1Dx then if he is happy with the bulk, personally i find the smaller form of the 5D one of my favourite features i wonder how a non grip integrated 1Dx would sell at a somewhat reduced cost say $5500 to $6000 full functionality but smaller form factor with 5D size battery. I think they would sell like hotcakes.
APS-H Fanboy

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 02:45:20 AM »
I'm surprised so many people responded sarcastically to the OP or claimed it's a silly or makes no sense.

Let's say a person has a 5D2 today and sees the 1DX as a worthwhile upgrade so is considering pre-ordering it soon to ensure getting one before June next year.  It would be reasonable for that person to be wondering if maybe the 5D3, which will be less sophisticated than the 1DX but an improvement over the 5D2, will be a better choice for some reason for example cost.

The two camera lines are so fundamentally different that it is hard to see why anyone that perceives that they need a 1DX might think that a 5D3 would be adequate. The only people that would be confused or undecided would be those for whom the 1DX has not been "built to order."

"So fundamentally different".  Really?  How so?

Quit your trolling already.

briansquibb

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 04:29:56 AM »
ah gotcha, i did actually check the orinal post and didnt see anything there, If he uses a 1D body already it will take some getting used to the reduced features of a 5D3. I would say go for the 1Dx then if he is happy with the bulk, personally i find the smaller form of the 5D one of my favourite features i wonder how a non grip integrated 1Dx would sell at a somewhat reduced cost say $5500 to $6000 full functionality but smaller form factor with 5D size battery. I think they would sell like hotcakes.

A 1Ds3 will continue to deliver top pictures for a long time. Perhaps a 1D4 might be a good backup in the short term as it handles high iso as good as anything else at the moment.

I find that at weddings big prints aren't needed so  high mp can be worked around with full frame composition - as can low light by walking around with a flash on a lightstand to give 2 flash pictures. I have 5 580EXs all loaded with batteries with 4 mounted on PocketWizzards, with two on light stands. I usually commandeer a corner and set up a mini studio where groups can get portraits done. Works for me and avoids issues of poor lighting and white balance with mixtures of lighting, such as tungsten and strip.

I would say wait until this time next year to see how the market settles and the prices come down.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 04:29:56 AM »

scottk

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
I'm a working full time wedding photog. High megapixels does not equal a good wedding camera. I  print 40x60 canvases with images from an 18mp sensor. Do you really need more than that? Let's use the dreaded N word - My friends who use Nikon that charge upwards of 10k for a wedding actually shoot them with their D3S, which is something like 12mp, but have incredible high ISO capability and great autofocus. Those that have the much higher megapixel D3X relegate it to their studio camera and it never sees a wedding. Low noise, fast autofocus, and high FPS are much more importsnt features for a wedding camera than megapixles. Most photos will never be bigger than a canvas or an album spread. Wedding pictures don't go up on billboards. Resoution isn't everything. IMHO, the 1DX will be the ultimate wedding camera on the market.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »

I agree 100%. Unless you're printing highway billboards, I don't think anything in the DSLR world will be superior to the 1DX for any assignment you give it -- at least if it lives up to Canon's hype. I still want to see real world experience.

I'm a working full time wedding photog. High megapixels does not equal a good wedding camera. I  print 40x60 canvases with images from an 18mp sensor. Do you really need more than that? Let's use the dreaded N word - My friends who use Nikon that charge upwards of 10k for a wedding actually shoot them with their D3S, which is something like 12mp, but have incredible high ISO capability and great autofocus. Those that have the much higher megapixel D3X relegate it to their studio camera and it never sees a wedding. Low noise, fast autofocus, and high FPS are much more importsnt features for a wedding camera than megapixles. Most photos will never be bigger than a canvas or an album spread. Wedding pictures don't go up on billboards. Resoution isn't everything. IMHO, the 1DX will be the ultimate wedding camera on the market.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
I most definitely sincerely think you should sit on your hands and wait for the 5D when it comes out a little less than a year from now........ but if there's something else in the works that is better at that time I think you should wait for that instead.

In the meantime, we'll go out, make photos, and report back to you how fun it was.....

STOP DREAMING for the best.... you will NEVER have the best or the newest. That's the way technology and capitalism works. Things are build to be outdated and be worn down. Just get what the hell ever you need and go out and make those god damn photos.

It's not the camera that does it... it merely captures your work and makes it viewable. The motive doesn't give a S___ what camera you use to capture it.

Now get up and get out.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

photophreek

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »
A high MP 5d 3 (which has not been announced and is just pure speculation) is not going to be a 1D X.  As a result, there is no debating which to buy - the 1D X, it's a real camera and will be available in March 2012.  If you haven't already, do some research on the 1D X (not just press releases) and you will soon see what this camera is capable of.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
Here's one of the reasons I am extremely happy that the 1d X is 18 and not 36mp, and it's a reason no one talks about, but I know it's a fact going from the 10mp mkIII to the 16mp mkIV:

The smaller the pixel the faster shutter speed you need to freeze action, because the subject moves over to the pixel next to it way faster with higher density. This is one of the reasons you often here the 7d is soft when shooting moving subjects. And it's for the same reason I need 1/1600s-1/2000s to freeze action instead of 1/1000s I needed to stop everything with the mkIII. So going back to 1/1000s as a result of 21% larger pixels of the X will be yet another fantastic reason to get one.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
I'm surprised so many people responded sarcastically to the OP or claimed it's a silly or makes no sense.

Let's say a person has a 5D2 today and sees the 1DX as a worthwhile upgrade so is considering pre-ordering it soon to ensure getting one before June next year.  It would be reasonable for that person to be wondering if maybe the 5D3, which will be less sophisticated than the 1DX but an improvement over the 5D2, will be a better choice for some reason for example cost.

The two camera lines are so fundamentally different that it is hard to see why anyone that perceives that they need a 1DX might think that a 5D3 would be adequate. The only people that would be confused or undecided would be those for whom the 1DX has not been "built to order."

"So fundamentally different".  Really?  How so?

Quit your trolling already.

Seriously Dilbert, that's your response?  Instead of just explaining what you mean you go for a personal attack.  You know what, you make quite a few good and relevant posts in many threads but quickly turn to attacks when someone challenges you.  -1

So how about just tell us how the two bodies are so fundamentally different.   It's a honest question.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:06:19 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
Hi all, assuming the 5D MK III really is going to be a high MP FF, which one would u prefer if u were a wedding/pre wedding photog, and also shoot alot of events....despite there are significantly price different, if u were only allowed to choose just one DSLR, which one would be ur choice?
High MP is good for pre wedding....but for wedding day and events..it might not need that high MP, in fact it might need fast and better low light focus and better DR.....
thanks for opinion.

Just getting back to the OP for a moment...

Just how the 5DIII wil be configured is still anybodys guess. Equally, just when you'll be able to get your hands on one is crystal ball stuff. It might be next Christmas by the time they start shipping in meaningful numbers.

On a balance, from what you have said and from what we know about the 1D4, this looks like the camera for you. Not to mention the fact that you'll be able to get to work with one in March/April 2012. Just put your order in for one right now. If you want out when your shipping day arrives, there will be plenty of shooters happy to take your place in the queue. You may be able to SELL your place in the queue!

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:31:01 PM by pwp »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
5D mk III is an imaginary camera for the moment. On the other hand 1Dx is coming. Of course if someone is not in a hurry and/or does not want to pay for 1Dx I guess 5DmkIII will be the alternative. But it's a future alternative.

Also, in order to answer this question we need to know what kind of sensor will be used on the 5DmkIII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »