August 29, 2014, 06:23:25 AM

Author Topic: Lens suggestions  (Read 15767 times)

iTasneem

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Lens suggestions
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »
try the 24mm 1.4 or 35mm
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:26:08 AM by iTasneem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
1. Look at photographers pictures from Iceland (ie. Art Wolfe, and I would recommend his TV show)

2. Get a tripod that is easy to carry.  Monopods aren't too useful for travel photos

3. Learn about the 10 sec timer or get a remote shutter release so you can be in the group photos.

4. Don't weigh yourself down with photo gear.  Especially if you are going with other people.  I would also recommend making a strap for the tripod to carry it around if you are going to be walking a lot.

5. Depending on how long you are going for, buying used lens and then selling it on eBay might work better.

6. Does the 60D do video?  Take a few 30-60 second clips of waterfalls and such.

7. If I had a 60D, with a 24-105 kit lens let's say, I would rent a 8-15 before the telephoto lens.  I use my 300mm a lot, but it is hard to carry around all day just for the few shots that might occur.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
1. Look at photographers pictures from Iceland (ie. Art Wolfe, and I would recommend his TV show)

2. Get a tripod that is easy to carry.  Monopods aren't too useful for travel photos

3. Learn about the 10 sec timer or get a remote shutter release so you can be in the group photos.

4. Don't weigh yourself down with photo gear.  Especially if you are going with other people.  I would also recommend making a strap for the tripod to carry it around if you are going to be walking a lot.

5. Depending on how long you are going for, buying used lens and then selling it on eBay might work better.

6. Does the 60D do video?  Take a few 30-60 second clips of waterfalls and such.

7. If I had a 60D, with a 24-105 kit lens let's say, I would rent a 8-15 before the telephoto lens.  I use my 300mm a lot, but it is hard to carry around all day just for the few shots that might occur.

Thanks, very useful, I will probably take some short videos, and a tripod is one thing I will definately want to buy, I'm looking at a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, and a very nice ball head to go with it, Manfrotto also do a line of tripod bags and straps, so will look into those.  With the remote release, I would buy one but I am unsure about them, I have read that some need to be pointed at the camera.  I've looked at some of the wired ones, to help me with long exposure pictures, and possibly macro later on next year, do you know of any that are compatible with canon, but do not need to be in a particular position for the picture to be taken?

Thanks again, James
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:07:10 PM by AcinonyxJG »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
Who says that a telephoto isn't useful for landscapes?  I might not take my 120-300mm to Iceland unless I knew it would be useful, but I'd take at least a 90mm (on APS-C) or 135mm.  It's a common problem among photographers to think that the telephoto perspective is useless; in reality I find that it's much easier to compose with a telephoto lens.  Stop down if you don't like the "compressed" look of narrower DOF.

briansquibb

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
Who says that a telephoto isn't useful for landscapes?  I might not take my 120-300mm to Iceland unless I knew it would be useful, but I'd take at least a 90mm (on APS-C) or 135mm.  It's a common problem among photographers to think that the telephoto perspective is useless; in reality I find that it's much easier to compose with a telephoto lens.  Stop down if you don't like the "compressed" look of narrower DOF.

+1

I use my 70-200 for landscapes on the 5DII.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
I use a Hahnel wireless remote.  It does cost more than those three options.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743183-REG/hahnel_HL_HW433_80_Wireless_RF_Pro_Remote.html

The best part of this for group photos is that you can take multiple ones without running to the camera and waiting 10 seconds.  There are red and green lights on the receiver to tell you that it is working.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
You also have to factor in memory cards (don't lose them!), batteries, and a case to carry everything without it being obvious that you have an expensive camera hopefully (might not be as much of a concern in Iceland).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
For remote release, you have several options:
Don't forget that there are also wireless (radio) releases.  The WFT series might allow a wireless link with EOS Utility - and I recently read some camera out there (1D X and its Nikon equivalent, the D4, maybe?) is getting an ethernet jack.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2011, 11:38:34 PM »
For a Tripod i highly recomend this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benro-C-2691TB1-Carbon-Fiber-Travel-Angel-Tripod-B-1-/330538387722?pt=AU_TripodsMonopods&hash=item4cf59f890a

it is light packs down small and comes with a ball head and bag you can also transform it into a monopod

also grab a SLR zoom gorrilla pod they are very handy
APS-H Fanboy

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2011, 01:34:01 AM »
I just wanted to say this topic has been a great read as I too will be traveling to Iceland in Feb. and the most recommended lens I found was the Canon 10-22.

Just check out some of the great http://www.maxwaugh.com/sweden07/aurora5.php pictures this guy took with it.

I myself will be going with a 10-22mm, 18-200 (before I started learning about lens) and hopefully the the 50mm f1.4 or the 35mm f1.8(? might be 2).
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
Thanks for even MORE help, never thought that people would help me this much, I found this remote --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Wireless-Remote-Control-Release-ca-1/dp/B001CSNU10/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IK0NWIGD5W9PV&colid=1BOSHU0IVKSLP, does it look like a good choice?  I will still look at the ones I have been recommended, as you all have way more experience than me, I would like one that as the apability of timelapse, as I wouldn't mind having a go at that.  As for that tripod, the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 looks almost perfect for me, so with a ball head, I will almost certainly buy it, and for a wide angle lens I have decided to go with the Tokina 11-16mm, due to the f/2.8, which I think I will need.

One more question, is it worth the extra money buying the 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM, over the 70-200mm f/4L IS USM?   The 70-200mm is one lens I almost certainly will need in the future.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:47:16 AM by AcinonyxJG »

briansquibb

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2011, 03:48:12 AM »

One more question, is it worth the extra money buying the 70-200mm f/2.8 II IS USM, over the 70-200mm f/4 IS USM?   The 70-200mm is one lens I almost certainly will need in the future.

I bought one because of the AF point being better for lens of f/2.8 or faster which helps in lower light. It is a fabulous lens which is very good even when taking pictures at f/2.8, bokeh is very impressive.

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »
I bought one because of the AF point being better for lens of f/2.8 or faster which helps in lower light. It is a fabulous lens which is very good even when taking pictures at f/2.8, bokeh is very impressive.

I watched a DigitalRev review comparing three of the 70-200mm lenses, and the f/2.8 II is definately the best one, I guess I'll have a bit of extra saving up to do in the next few years  :D I hadn't heard much aout the bokeh on the 70-200mm f/2.8 II, but if it is really good, I have even more reasons to buy it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »

Flake

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:27 AM »
"I'm looking at a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, and a very nice ball head to go with it,"

Trust in this, - avoid the Manfrotto legs like the plague!  They have cheapened their product to such an extent that it is now nothing like as good as the competition.  In addition you will need to buy so many accessories (like the bag & the strap) that by the time you've got the tripod to the spec of competitors, you might as well have bought a Gitzo.  I was so disgusted with mine that I sold it soon after I got it, it once would have fallen over for no apparant reason, had I not caught it.

For landscape/portrait I wouldn't use a ball head either, the 3D types are much better as each plane is individually adjustable, there's normally plenty of time to set up the shot, and get it exactly right.

There are two types of remote release - corded & infra red cordless with the corded one you're limited by cable length, but the infra red will only work in front of the camera, and is less effective in bright light. Which ever you use you should shoot with live view enabled as this flips the mirror up & avoids the vibration (mirror slap) giving sharper images.

AcinonyxJG

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
"I'm looking at a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, and a very nice ball head to go with it,"

Trust in this, - avoid the Manfrotto legs like the plague!  They have cheapened their product to such an extent that it is now nothing like as good as the competition.  In addition you will need to buy so many accessories (like the bag & the strap) that by the time you've got the tripod to the spec of competitors, you might as well have bought a Gitzo.  I was so disgusted with mine that I sold it soon after I got it, it once would have fallen over for no apparant reason, had I not caught it.

For landscape/portrait I wouldn't use a ball head either, the 3D types are much better as each plane is individually adjustable, there's normally plenty of time to set up the shot, and get it exactly right.

There are two types of remote release - corded & infra red cordless with the corded one you're limited by cable length, but the infra red will only work in front of the camera, and is less effective in bright light. Which ever you use you should shoot with live view enabled as this flips the mirror up & avoids the vibration (mirror slap) giving sharper images.

I have not heard anything like that with Manfrotto Tripods, so far I've heard almost nothing but good things from the tripod I like and others that Manfrotto produce, but I will be careful with them though, if you say that they could be a problem.
With the head, the ball head would have a pan function, but would not be able to tilt up and down, but would it that much of an issue?  Most ball heads have friction control, which allows them to be more precisely positioned.  Furthermore, a ball head would probably be more useful to me all round.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »