May 24, 2018, 08:19:26 AM

Author Topic: Friday Deals: EOS 6D $1099, EOS 70D $699, EOS 7D $849, EOS 7D Mark II $1399  (Read 47935 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Still Live: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $1999
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »
The biggest concern with grey market is not a broken item though. It is an item that fails eventually. Not only will you not have a warranty that covers it, Canon may refuse to even touch it even if you're willing to pay for the repair.

Wow, that hurt!  I think I must have just fallen off of the turnip truck.

So you're telling all of us that under a certain scenario, a capitalist venture may refuse money, decline an improvement in profits, refuse to do business, no shirt, no shoes, no domestic sale, no service?

Wow

Care to furnish anything other than anecdotal hearsay?  Really, I am not trying to be dickish here.  If you can document this scenario, I think everyone would want to know.

A good sale price, no warranty coverage, repair needed inside of one year, repair paid for out of pocket, you still come out ahead.

He won't, it is bullshit.

I don't know why people keep posting that. Canon are quite happy to do paid work on grey market items if they have the parts, which normally means if they imported that item originally, things like the EOS-M2 might well be an issue they couldn't work on, but only from a practical level, not from a business refusal level.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »

Freeman

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 10:05:05 PM »
It is still surprising (anonymity and all) what some post on the Internet . . . . apparently without concern for plausibility or challenge.

I'm expecting mine (ordered 1st thing Monday) early next week.

I will post back once I've opened mine and checked it out in the EOS Utility and shuttercount software.

I'm half expecting to find a Canon USA Warranty card in the packaging after reading the CR page citing folks that have ordered the body/lens kit getting a USA card.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:10:27 PM by Freeman »

chasinglight

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Michael Towster smugmug
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:59 PM »
Just want to report that I ordered a 5d3 from bigvalue and it came in today. I didn't have a chance to shoot anything meaningful, but everything is fine in my initial tests. And for those worried about longevity, I ordered a 7d from bigvalue several years ago and never had an issue with it. So don't hesitate if you are in the market for a 5d3.

TMT

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
It is still surprising (anonymity and all) what some post on the Internet . . . . apparently without concern for plausibility or challenge.

I'm expecting mine (ordered 1st thing Monday) early next week.

I will post back once I've opened mine and checked it out in the EOS Utility and shuttercount software.

I'm half expecting to find a Canon USA Warranty card in the packaging after reading the CR page citing folks that have ordered the body/lens kit getting a USA card.
No Canon warranty card in mine that arrived today.

Sanaraken

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »
Im getting ready to pull the trigger on this deal. I hope it worth it not getting a USA version.
5DIII | 70D | EOSM | 24-70L f2.8 II | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 40 f2.8 | 100L f2.8 | 16-35L f4 IS | 600EX-RT

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Still Live: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $1949
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 06:16:05 AM »
It will work just fine and Canon will fix it. No stress.

lcdi

• Canonflex
If you missed last week’s sale on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III body for $1949 ....

Hi guys, any idea or link for the people in France ?

canon rumors FORUM

Batman6794

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
The biggest concern with grey market is not a broken item though. It is an item that fails eventually. Not only will you not have a warranty that covers it, Canon may refuse to even touch it even if you're willing to pay for the repair.

So you're telling all of us that under a certain scenario, a capitalist venture may refuse money, decline an improvement in profits, refuse to do business, no shirt, no shoes, no domestic sale, no service?

Wow

Care to furnish anything other than anecdotal hearsay?  Really, I am not trying to be dickish here.  If you can document this scenario, I think everyone would want to know.

A good sale price, no warranty coverage, repair needed inside of one year, repair paid for out of pocket, you still come out ahead.

This is why I tend to stay away from forums. I never said they would not. I said the MIGHT not. (It is at their discretion) I have no direct experience with trying to have grey market repaired. I have heard people say they do no problem and people that say canon won't touch it. Since I have equal anecdotal evidence for BOTH sides, I chose MIGHT. Unless someone can provide a statement from Canon USA that they will repair ANY Canon product at ANY time no questions asked, I think might is a pretty safe word for us all to go by.

I also didn't say it was a bad deal. I even said I myself have bought grey market. The OP asked about peoples experience with Big Value in particular and Grey Market in General. I told him mine. The fact that your experience o may be different, doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong, or vice versa. It means we have different experiences, or see our similar experiences in different ways.

As far as why Canon USA MIGHT refuse to profit on a repair is simple: The money Canon makes from repairs is far less than the money the would lose if everyone in the US bought their new SLRs at the price they're likely to sell for in growing markets, where Canon is willing to make far less profit just to create brand recognition.

As long as a small portion of the market buys grey market, its likely not worth the headache for Canon to refuse the repair. If EVERYONE buys cheaper products from overseas, Canon USA would be eaten alive, and I would expect them to react.

I could be wrong. I'd rather be wrong. If my 5dII fails someday, I hope the repair is smooth and easy. But if Canon USA chooses NOT to repair a product which they never sold, there really isn't much recourse I would have.

Its a risk that I think is well worth a significant discount, but that is MY choice. If someone asks what risks they are taking on, I'm going to inform them of all possible risks and let them decide for themselves.

Those who have posted that there is nothing to worry about because THEY aren't worried about it are ignoring what the OP has asked for IMO. I guess I should have been surprised they didn't read my post carefully either.

privatebydesign

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »

Wow

This is why I tend to stay away from forums. I never said they would not. I said the MIGHT not. (It is at their discretion) I have no direct experience with trying to have grey market repaired. I have heard people say they do no problem and people that say canon won't touch it. Since I have equal anecdotal evidence for BOTH sides, I chose MIGHT. Unless someone can provide a statement from Canon USA that they will repair ANY Canon product at ANY time no questions asked, I think might is a pretty safe word for us all to go by.

I also didn't say it was a bad deal. I even said I myself have bought grey market. The OP asked about peoples experience with Big Value in particular and Grey Market in General. I told him mine. The fact that your experience o may be different, doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong, or vice versa. It means we have different experiences, or see our similar experiences in different ways.

As far as why Canon USA MIGHT refuse to profit on a repair is simple: The money Canon makes from repairs is far less than the money the would lose if everyone in the US bought their new SLRs at the price they're likely to sell for in growing markets, where Canon is willing to make far less profit just to create brand recognition.

As long as a small portion of the market buys grey market, its likely not worth the headache for Canon to refuse the repair. If EVERYONE buys cheaper products from overseas, Canon USA would be eaten alive, and I would expect them to react.

I could be wrong. I'd rather be wrong. If my 5dII fails someday, I hope the repair is smooth and easy. But if Canon USA chooses NOT to repair a product which they never sold, there really isn't much recourse I would have.

Its a risk that I think is well worth a significant discount, but that is MY choice. If someone asks what risks they are taking on, I'm going to inform them of all possible risks and let them decide for themselves.

Those who have posted that there is nothing to worry about because THEY aren't worried about it are ignoring what the OP has asked for IMO. I guess I should have been surprised they didn't read my post carefully either.

No you should stay away from forums with comments like that because they are uninformed, inaccurate, emotionally charged rubbish.

Look, each importer has their own policies. Nikon and a few others will not work on grey market cameras, even for money, at one stage Mamiya would not work on any camera they did not import. Canon will, and there is a lot of internet wisdom (that is an oxymoron if ever there was) out there that confirms that, to make a poorly worded emotionally charged comment that they 'might not' when you don't have first hand knowledge or even do basic research to find out if the might or might not is a badly misguided thing to do.

Your uneducated comment that 'they might not' is as fanciful as saying they 'will confiscate it and sue you for parallel imported goods', it is ludicrous and wrong and easily shown to be wrong.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
Well, just pulled the trigger on the 6D. $1100 was just too tempting to pass up.

And just when I had my crop kit very well established I go and mess everything up with a FF camera. It is now (and always) my fear that the real cost will be many multiples of that as I start to spring for one 4-figure lens after another.

sama

• EOS 80D
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
Just want to report that I ordered a 5d3 from bigvalue and it came in today. I didn't have a chance to shoot anything meaningful, but everything is fine in my initial tests. And for those worried about longevity, I ordered a 7d from bigvalue several years ago and never had an issue with it. So don't hesitate if you are in the market for a 5d3.

Just curious to know which firmware is on your new 5D3.

I just sold mine in Ontario after 2 years of usage and with around 50K clicks on it. Waiting to buy a 50mp but was tempted to buy one back @ $1949. The balance of this sell and buy again is only$200. Nice.

m8547

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »

Look, each importer has their own policies. Nikon and a few others will not work on grey market cameras, even for money, at one stage Mamiya would not work on any camera they did not import...

Canon could change their policy at any point. They cracked down on minimum advertised price. If they wanted to they could make gray market sales less appealing. Nikon and others shows that there is precedent for that kind of policy.

privatebydesign

And the sky could fall on our heads and the moon is made of cheese. Canon USA could go bankrupt tomorrow, your camera could get stolen before it needs service, any of us could get hit by a truck. So what?

We can only make the best choices we can on the information we have today. Canon have ab excellent reputation for service, not just speed and price but also for common sense and fairness, that is a very valuable asset and they would need to very carefully consider any changes they make to their policies.

canon rumors FORUM

sunnyVan

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »

Look, each importer has their own policies. Nikon and a few others will not work on grey market cameras, even for money, at one stage Mamiya would not work on any camera they did not import...

Canon could change their policy at any point. They cracked down on minimum advertised price. If they wanted to they could make gray market sales less appealing. Nikon and others shows that there is precedent for that kind of policy.

I heard that these cameras, gray market or not, are indistinguishable. There's nothing on the camera that would indicate its origin of sale. You can tell canon that you got the camera as a gift and it's hard to imagine they won't service it just because they don't feel like doing it.

And buying from gray market is a much better option than getting a used one.
24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 135L,  600EX-RT, 430EX RT, EOS M IR converted, efm 11-22, Fuji X-T2, Fujinon 35 F2, Fujinon 16 1.4, Fujinon 90 F2, Fujinon 56 1.2, Fujinon 50-140 2.8, Fujinon 100-400

privatebydesign

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »

I heard that these cameras, gray market or not, are indistinguishable. There's nothing on the camera that would indicate its origin of sale. You can tell canon that you got the camera as a gift and it's hard to imagine they won't service it just because they don't feel like doing it.

And buying from gray market is a much better option than getting a used one.

Er, they are apart from the serial numbers. Canon USA know which serial numbers are their cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »