September 19, 2014, 10:20:33 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Sooner Than Later [CR2]  (Read 30103 times)

katwil

Re: 5D Mark III Sooner Than Later [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
I set a ceiling of $2,000 for a 5D II about a year ago, thinking it would be a long time before that happened.  My skill level is simply not high enough to justify spending more than that right now.  So when the price hit my ceiling, I went for it.  So far, so good, and certainly no regrets as I was never in the hunt for a $2,500 camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
I set a ceiling of $2,000 for a 5D II about a year ago, thinking it would be a long time before that happened.  My skill level is simply not high enough to justify spending more than that right now.  So when the price hit my ceiling, I went for it.  So far, so good, and certainly no regrets as I was never in the hunt for a $2,500 camera.

In the immortal words of Master Yoda:  "You will be"

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »
A similar problem happened to the 1Ds3.  When the 5D2 came out the extras provided by the 1Ds3 weren't really worth it for many photographers.

The problem the 1Ds mk3 had though is that alot of its potential market was studio/landscape users and to them its advanatges in AF and FPS over the 5D mk2 werent really very relivant. The 1DX on the other hand  seems that dispite the hype its marketed much more towards the 1D userbase so while a say 1DX sensor, 7D level AF, 6 FPS 5D mk3 might be an alternative it would be one with alot more disadvanatges.

Brad_Randmark

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

Nerdy they be on the CR blog.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »

Isn't that a requirement to join a site devoted to discussing and debating the fine points of Canon camera gear and drooling over the latest rumors?  8)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think the "Concept" DSLR is going to be targeted for the 5DII video market.  Canon announced and purposely showed off that "Concept DSLR" camera in their marketing materials next to the C-300 and the new cine lenses and PL mounts with the same "C" branding in red, therefore I think that camera is aimed at THAT market solely - Hollywood, where it was announced...not at the core 5DII community that shoots video.  I think it will be targeted to be used in conjunction with the C300s as B cams etc or others (indies with funding) as primary that are buying the $8K-$15K cine lenses as well... all the pictures I've seen of it from Canon show it with one of the new CN-E lenses which are obviously going to be well above EF-L glass in price.  I also don't think it was THAT early of a prototype either, else they wouldn't have included it in the C-300 announcement.  I think it's closer to market version vs concept.

Like you, I'd like to see a stills camera similar to the 1DsIII too (or alternately a new model/series FF stills camera in the $3-4K range) but since everyone is including video now I don't think we will.  With the 1Dx inclusive of video, I think that the prospect of a stills-only studio camera has left the building, even if the rumored huge MP camera comes out, I'm sure it will also shoot video.  I think the 5DIII will be targeted at the same exact market that loves their 5DIIs (stills and/or video both) in the $3K range, with no real surprises in the price/market area.  I'm guessing much akin to a FF 7D (AF, etc) hopefully with some of the new sensor/video features of the 1Dx.  Maybe we will all see soon now...

The announcement was that it was in development, they weren't actually announcing the product (no specs aside from 4k).  And a lot of people were saying that the C300 would be the great B cam, so I don't see why they would be so interested in the Cinema DSLR.  Of course the red "C" seems like it's geared towards the hollywood market, but that's only based on the products you've seen so far.  Yes the new Cinema primes will fit on the CDSLR, they're EF mount!  Any other Canon lens will fit on it so that doesn't tell us anything....

All I know is I'm part of the 5D video segment and I only got into DSLRs for the video side.  But there are things I hate about the 5DII and I really want a DSLR designed to shoot video.  NOT another stills camera that happens to shoot great video... 

I was thrilled when I saw that Canon was making an announcement, but disappointed when the C300 was revealed (since its not in my price range).  But I was only disappointed until I saw the concept DSLR, and that's what I'm waiting for.  It just seems like they only mentioned that to let the prosumers know that they will have something for them down the line.  And I'm sure Canon knows how eager people would be to get their hands on a "Cinema EOS" product. 

Of course the 5DIII will shoot video, but the 5D series is a stills camera at heart.  Canon didn't know the 5D would take off in the video world the way it did, they wouldn't be such a pain in the ass to shoot video with otherwise.

5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
What do you see as disadvantages?

A similar problem happened to the 1Ds3.  When the 5D2 came out the extras provided by the 1Ds3 weren't really worth it for many photographers.

The problem the 1Ds mk3 had though is that alot of its potential market was studio/landscape users and to them its advanatges in AF and FPS over the 5D mk2 werent really very relivant. The 1DX on the other hand  seems that dispite the hype its marketed much more towards the 1D userbase so while a say 1DX sensor, 7D level AF, 6 FPS 5D mk3 might be an alternative it would be one with alot more disadvanatges.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 01:51:21 AM »
What do you see as disadvantages?

Well in that case for a sports/jurno/wildlife shooter they would be lower FPS, worse AF, no protrait grip, worse build and a bunch of other features.

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »

Isn't that a requirement to join a site devoted to discussing and debating the fine points of Canon camera gear and drooling over the latest rumors?  8)

LOL!  Pitiful we are!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

Zielony

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 04:22:47 AM »
Any other major events due to happen some time after May next year?

You bet! The UEFA European Football Championship (June / July) held in Ukraine and Russia

That post of "moreorless" just beat me by seconds...
That's ok. Since I look forward to the championship: the Dutch will take the championship  :D

Russia? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that's Poland and Ukraine... and the Dutch won't win ;)

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 04:50:19 AM »
Any other major events due to happen some time after May next year?

You bet! The UEFA European Football Championship (June / July) held in Ukraine and Russia

That post of "moreorless" just beat me by seconds...
That's ok. Since I look forward to the championship: the Dutch will take the championship  :D

Russia? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that's Poland and Ukraine... and the Dutch won't win ;)

ha! we'll see about that! :P
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

Picsfor

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
Interesting how many people have finally taken the plunge to buy a cheap 5D2, and are like kids in a candy shop with the results they're getting.

What people are forgetting, is this is a 3 year old camera - and i've been getting these results for 3 years.

I had no hesitation in getting a second 5D2 body whilst the prices are cheap - as i've always said, my only gripe with this camera has been the AF. I just wish all 9 focus points were AF, and reliable.

The reality is, i will not be able to afford a 1DX at it's release price, nor probably for a year after.

As for a 5D3 - i could upgrade both bodies upon release and take the hit on selling my 5D2's, but wouldn't do it just to get 30mp's. Better AF and a second CF card slot would make it worthwhile, and an extra stop of ISO would also be nice. But otherwise, i'm more than happy with my 21mp and could afford to drop to 18mp for the benefits a 1DX would bring. Maybe a 1DX and the new power G series as a back up?

Mmmm, that's an option i hadn't considered before - i'm off to reconsider my options  ;)

Happy New Year every one

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
The prices for the 5d2 went up... thank you! 

I can now stop drooling and wait patiently for the 5d3.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »

Isaac

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
The prices for the 5d2 went up... thank you! 

I can now stop drooling and wait patiently for the 5d3.

Where did you see the prices go up? B&H have stayed the same.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:21 AM »
From Thom Hogan's blog (bythom.com):
"Sometime in early 2012 we're going to have the full FX body updates from both Canon and Nikon. In the case of the 5DII and D700 follow ups, there will be substantive pixel increases (the rumors put both in the 30's)."

Elsewhere he says this:
"... the camera makers--specifically Nikon and Canon--had concluded about pixels versus target customer. My conclusion: they think that the amateur/enthusiast will respond more to pixels, the professional more to low-level pixel integrity. Thus, we'll get more pixels in the lower cost bodies."

Thom Hogan's leaks (NOT his predictions though) are typically spot on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:21 AM »