January 19, 2018, 01:06:53 AM

Author Topic: Sony buyers Beware!!  (Read 20882 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: Sony buyers Beware!!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
I worked in a camera shop for a year and the store policy was not to send any equipment out for repair until we had at least ten pieces to send away. The owners (sleezeballs is putting it lightly) wanted to save money on shipping. So if you're sending the camera away via a shop, there's a chance it's spent most of that time sitting in a drawer.

(I ended up getting myself fired for "not being a team player" when I asked for a copy of my employment contract (something they're legally obligated to provide) and then pointed out all their very illegal business policies. We're talking about people who repackaged used and demo equipment and sold it as brand new. I remember one of the owners boasting that their knockoff Gary Fong flash diffusers were "just as good, in fact, they're better." I could write a bloody book on these clowns.)

That type of store will eventually fail because word gets around.  Stores that are willing to go the extra step for customers have a better chance of making it, but lets face it, retail brick and mortar stores can't compete on price with the internet.  We have a local camera store that's been around over 100 years.  They saw the internet thing coming and went into it in a big way.  (www.onecall.com).  They also share a warehouse and shipping department with  Mountain Gear (http://www.mountaingear.com/).  I suspect its a family business.

They were really not able to match B&H and Adorama for volume, and even tried selling on Amazon.  They began selling high end audio gear and installations as their primary product, and I can no longer walk into their store and speak with a "Pro" photographer like I could 30 years ago.  They have opened a 2nd store, and seem to be doing ok, but their camera sales feels more and more like Best Buy.  They still hold seminars hosted ny Nikon or Canon where you can try all the latest gear, while Best Buy does not stock most of the pro lenses and bodies locally.

There is a tiny camera store in Couer D Alene Idaho that is just hanging on.  They do employee photographers, so I buy my gear there when I can.  They do not usually stock high end stuff, but get it for me in 2-3 days, direct from Canon or Nikon, about the same time as shipping from the East coast.  Canon and Nikon do a fair job of supporting them and ship orders quickly.  I decided to buy a D800 when they first came out.  Camera Corral got one from Nikon for me in less than 2 weeks.  I used it for a month before giving up in disgust due to the high ISO noise and lower quality lenses.  Buyers even then were waiting weeks to get one from B&H, so I sold the camera for a profit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:51 PM »
I've had just one experience with Canon service, with the 1D X service notice (never had anything actually fail).  I was in NJ for business, dropped it off at the Jamesburg facility expecting they'd do the fix and ship it to me.  They fixed it in <1 hr while I waited, cleaned the sensor, too.

All my experiences with Canon repair facilities have  been excellent.

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 12:54:24 AM »
I worked in a camera shop for a year and the store policy was not to send any equipment out for repair until we had at least ten pieces to send away. The owners (sleezeballs is putting it lightly) wanted to save money on shipping. So if you're sending the camera away via a shop, there's a chance it's spent most of that time sitting in a drawer.

(I ended up getting myself fired for "not being a team player" when I asked for a copy of my employment contract (something they're legally obligated to provide) and then pointed out all their very illegal business policies. We're talking about people who repackaged used and demo equipment and sold it as brand new. I remember one of the owners boasting that their knockoff Gary Fong flash diffusers were "just as good, in fact, they're better." I could write a bloody book on these clowns.)

That type of store will eventually fail because word gets around.  Stores that are willing to go the extra step for customers have a better chance of making it, but lets face it, retail brick and mortar stores can't compete on price with the internet.  We have a local camera store that's been around over 100 years.  They saw the internet thing coming and went into it in a big way.  (www.onecall.com).  They also share a warehouse and shipping department with  Mountain Gear (http://www.mountaingear.com/).  I suspect its a family business.

They were really not able to match B&H and Adorama for volume, and even tried selling on Amazon.  They began selling high end audio gear and installations as their primary product, and I can no longer walk into their store and speak with a "Pro" photographer like I could 30 years ago.  They have opened a 2nd store, and seem to be doing ok, but their camera sales feels more and more like Best Buy.  They still hold seminars hosted ny Nikon or Canon where you can try all the latest gear, while Best Buy does not stock most of the pro lenses and bodies locally.

There is a tiny camera store in Couer D Alene Idaho that is just hanging on.  They do employee photographers, so I buy my gear there when I can.  They do not usually stock high end stuff, but get it for me in 2-3 days, direct from Canon or Nikon, about the same time as shipping from the East coast.  Canon and Nikon do a fair job of supporting them and ship orders quickly.  I decided to buy a D800 when they first came out.  Camera Corral got one from Nikon for me in less than 2 weeks.  I used it for a month before giving up in disgust due to the high ISO noise and lower quality lenses.  Buyers even then were waiting weeks to get one from B&H, so I sold the camera for a profit.

It baffles me how this store hasn't gone out of business yet. I won't name names due to the fact that my boss still works there, he's a really good guy, and I'd hate for anything I have to say come back to bite him.

I think the brick and mortar stores still have a place and can still compete, though their market share has significantly shrunk and it's not coming back. The situation here in Canada is a bit different as it can be too difficult to buy from the big U.S. online retailers due to the dollar, customs, warranty issues, and because some manufacturers have prohibited U.S. retailers from shipping north. My store of choice, both online and in person, is The Camera Store (www.thecamerastore.com).

I really think that, in Canada at least, the key to survival and success is to provide exceptional service, selection, and prices at your physical store while also having a well implemented online storefront. What I love about The Camera Store is that you can walk in and they have virtually everything you could ever want in stock along with demo copies you can pick up and fiddle with. Even things like digital medium format bodies you can pick up and have a play with. All of their staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything about these guys is top notch, and if you want to survive, I think this is the only way to do it. If you're good to your customers, a lot of them will be good to you and keep coming back. (and maybe trumpet your virtues on an internet forum ;) ) Hell, I live on the other side of the country now and I still buy my stuff exclusively through them because they've been so good to me in the past.

I think the success of places like The Apple Store shows that physical retail is far from dead. Online shopping is here to stay, but given how packed a place like The Apple Store is all the time, I think a lot of people still value being able to go to a store and physically see, feel, and use the product before they buy it. (even though there is no shortage of people who will go into a store, get all the help and advice from staff, and then buy it online somewhere else, but that's just the nature of the beast).

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »
There is a lot of talk on other forums about Sony outsourcing everything to precision or some third party vendors.
I think, Sony will direct you to precision for any repairs. Lot of people are not happy with the delays. Is it the case with Canon?
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »

I think the brick and mortar stores still have a place and can still compete, though their market share has significantly shrunk and it's not coming back. The situation here in Canada is a bit different as it can be too difficult to buy from the big U.S. online retailers due to the dollar, customs, warranty issues, and because some manufacturers have prohibited U.S. retailers from shipping north. My store of choice, both online and in person, is The Camera Store (www.thecamerastore.com).

I really think that, in Canada at least, the key to survival and success is to provide exceptional service, selection, and prices at your physical store while also having a well implemented online storefront. What I love about The Camera Store is that you can walk in and they have virtually everything you could ever want in stock along with demo copies you can pick up and fiddle with. Even things like digital medium format bodies you can pick up and have a play with. All of their staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything about these guys is top notch, and if you want to survive, I think this is the only way to do it. If you're good to your customers, a lot of them will be good to you and keep coming back. (and maybe trumpet your virtues on an internet forum ;) ) Hell, I live on the other side of the country now and I still buy my stuff exclusively through them because they've been so good to me in the past.

I think the success of places like The Apple Store shows that physical retail is far from dead. Online shopping is here to stay, but given how packed a place like The Apple Store is all the time, I think a lot of people still value being able to go to a store and physically see, feel, and use the product before they buy it. (even though there is no shortage of people who will go into a store, get all the help and advice from staff, and then buy it online somewhere else, but that's just the nature of the beast).

I'd like to visit "The Camera Store", they are a days drive (427mi) from Spokane, Calgary is a nice place to visit.  I'm getting to the point where I don't like long drives.  I used to enjoy going 900 miles in a day, now 300 miles seems grueling.

I lived in the Toronto area for 2-1/2 years and tried to purchase cameras from the stores there.  At the time, selection of high end video cameras was very limited, service was a joke, so I ended up Placing my first order with B&H.  I had it shipped to my home in Seattle, and then brought it back the next time I was there.

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »

I'd like to visit "The Camera Store", they are a days drive (427mi) from Spokane, Calgary is a nice place to visit.  I'm getting to the point where I don't like long drives.  I used to enjoy going 900 miles in a day, now 300 miles seems grueling.

I lived in the Toronto area for 2-1/2 years and tried to purchase cameras from the stores there.  At the time, selection of high end video cameras was very limited, service was a joke, so I ended up Placing my first order with B&H.  I had it shipped to my home in Seattle, and then brought it back the next time I was there.

Should you ever find yourself in Calgary, I highly recommend dropping in. I'm currently in Toronto and looking to move back out west in the next year or two. I don't mind long drives outside of cities, particularly if it means I get the shot (put 10,000km on my van during my last drip to New Zealand). Flying is an absolute nightmare though.

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
"Flying is an absolute nightmare, though."

That's what Xanax is for. Just do not take too much so that you wet yourself.

'Al  Prazolam, never leave home without it'
Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »

fragilesi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »
Yes sure Dylan. It would never be that everyone would get disappointing service at Sony. We keep saying 'Sony' 'Canon' etc as if they are person. The service on that particular moment depends upon the human who takes the order and the one who executes it. That person can ruin it for Sony or Canon alike or make it great. Canon seems to be structured much much better at service centers. But the human executing matters a lot. Yes?

sanj yes the individuals matter and for this reason as much as any other it's pretty much impossible to always guarantee good service.  But good processes, training and structure as well as good recruitment practices make a hell of a lot of difference to the overall trend.

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »
Camera came back today. Happiness. The way it was going I was not sure if I will get it before my USA trip. Just got it and made some quick tests. All good so far.

fragilesi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 05:10:34 AM »
Camera came back today. Happiness. The way it was going I was not sure if I will get it before my USA trip. Just got it and made some quick tests. All good so far.

Good news!  Hope you have a great trip and share some of the pictures when you get back  :).

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »
Just how common is it to send cameras in for repair?

I started getting serious in photography in 1980.  Since then I have owned 5 camera bodies.  I have never sent in any of them for any servicing.  My first DSLR I took to a local shop to have the sensor cleaned... once.  That's all.

From reading some of the posts on this and other sites, it sometimes appears that people are sending in cameras multiple times a year!

They are the people that camera manufacturers just love, because they cost them more money than the revenue they generate.

Ideally you never want your products to be returned for service calls. If it happens frequently because of product failures it is because you are manufacturing junk.

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
    • Kevin DiOssi Photography
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
When I send my gear in for repair to CPS I get replacement gear back. My 7D2 took a while to diagnose, but I had a loaner from them and could still work.

My 7D original and lenses took 2-5 days tops...great service.

I've heard nothing but poor reviews about Sony service. I do know Sony is trying to improve in this, but hard to be a pro and not trust the gear repair turnaround.... Maybe that's why Sony guys have like 6 bodies. Or it's because Sony has no lenses and releases 3 new cameras a year?
- Kevin
1DX Mk II/5D Mk IV/SL2/M5 - 5x Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
Primes: EF 40mm f/2.8| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/54818-dead-sony-16-35mm-f-4-sony-farms-out-warranty-service-usa.html

This thread alone has terminated any idea of switching my gear to Sony anytime soon. Horrid. I shoot in wet, cold, snow, heat, etc. Canon gear is proven to not only hold up in extreme climate, but get repaired in house. I've also been encouraged and transferred over to technicians for information.
- Kevin
Primes: EF 40mm f/2.8| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 02:14:28 AM »
This thread alone has terminated any idea of switching my gear to Sony anytiWhilsrme soon. Horrid. I shoot in wet, cold, snow, heat, etc. Canon gear is proven to not only hold up in extreme climate, but get repaired in house. I've also been encouraged and transferred over to technicians for information.

Whilst Canon may repair it or your equipment may have survived thus far, your Canon equipment is not warranted against water damage.

Yeah, I hear you.

That thread I linked to had a Sony A7 become inoperable in cold weather. Sony did nothing and the outside repair facility said it checked out. He had to call/send it back several times to get them to properly handle the issue because they wouldn't test it properly. My point was more to the fact I've been considering at least a partial switch, but from that experience which seems more common than I'm comfortable with, I think I can't buy into the system in any way. My work is often in various climates and everything works flawlessly. When I have needed repairs the experiences made me feel important to them, as if I was the only person they needed to help.

Yes, repairs are seldom...maybe 5 times in 8 years. But, I feel not getting answers and proper tech support should be a deal breaker for professionals. It's also hard to believe they outsource their own repairs?!? Also, a camera that doesn't work in cold weather? This isn't the first time I've heard this about the A7 and it's usually battery related. What do I tell my clients; it's too cold to take pictures?
- Kevin

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 05:02:38 AM »
Just be glad you don't need a Leica to repaired. I actually had a customer who said this sentence ; "Wow! It took only 6 1/2 months this time, nice!" And he wasn't being ironic, last time he waited 8 months for a lens to be overhauled.
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 05:02:38 AM »