July 18, 2018, 10:22:34 PM

Author Topic: Weird A7R II Banding  (Read 15002 times)

3kramd5

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Weird A7R II Banding
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »
No worries! They will fix the banding with the A7RIII, which will be announced later this year.

haha!

Evidently it was Capture One creating the effect. DCRAW (see below), RawTherapee, etc. don't do it. Lotta chroma noise in the DCRAW image.

This is probably because no color NR has been applied. DCRAW is just a low level RAW processor. CaptureOne is a high level processor, and like Lightroom, it applies a certain amount of color NR by default. EVERY RAW image actually has this color noise...you usually don't see it because high level raw editors are cleaning it up for you.

Yes, Matt Grum said as much. There is zero NR applied to the DCRAW render.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »

3kramd5

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
At what point do you deem it "ready"?

I'd deem it 'ready' when it doesn't introduce artifacts into images.   ;)

... which you won't know until you use the software :P

...which should have been tested – and corrected – before the software was released purporting to support a given camera.   ;) :P

Indeed. Should. Pitty these companies race to get things out there. It's like they want bragging rights for saying "first." Similar infection as many news companies.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
There is reason why, we shouldn't look at early pre-production bodies.

Well, if this is software-dependent (as it looks), files from the production body could exhibit the same problem on the released (not beta) Capture One 8.3.1.

Few issues I have with a7 series are battery life and AF tracking. IQ and high ISO(including a7r) never been an issue.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
I was worried the had copied the canon shadow banding feature /jk

at first it looked like moire, I'm glad you found the cause before we popped the champaign to celebrate at sony's misfortune.

3kramd5

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Seems fairly simple to NR is out (processed by a +++++++++++ user in Capture One), but it gets waxy. Disclaimer: this is likely from a pre-production camera.

The disclaimer should read as follows: "this is from pre-production software."

8.3.1 is an official/final release.

3kramd5

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »

at first it looked like moire, I'm glad you found the cause before we popped the champaign to celebrate at sony's misfortune.

I am sure people here will find something else to write something uncomplimentary about Sony.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »

3kramd5

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »

I am sure people here will find something else to write something uncomplimentary about Sony.

I have a lot of uncomplimentary things to say about the A7R. Hopefully my experience with the 2 will be better. They have allegedly fixed or improved a lot of the things I don't like about using the original.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
I once again considered renting a A7R II and a adaspter for my Canon lenses for a upcoming event in the latter part of August.  However a 10 day rental was enough to make me ask myself what advantage I'd see.  While the camera will be smaller, there will be no flash allowed, and the lenses plus adapter will be bigger resulting in little advantage to pay $400 or more for.

I wanted 10 days to have time before to test out the camera thoroughly and make sure it was going to function.  In the end, I decided that my G1X II will make for a smaller camera when I need small, and does a reasonable job in low light.

I'm still interested in the a7R II, but having been bit by the Nikon D800, I'm not going to jump out and get one until I see results from trusted photographers.  Renting would be OK, but developing the raw images might be a issue with my existing software, and I'm not going to learn something new.

3kramd5

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
I'm still interested in the a7R II, but having been bit by the Nikon D800, I'm not going to jump out and get one until I see results from trusted photographers.  Renting would be OK, but developing the raw images might be a issue with my existing software, and I'm not going to learn something new.

If all three brands of cameras generated DNG files, would that make it a lesser of an issue for you? ;)

Maybe, although the PP package(s) I use depends on the camera I use, not the file type. Even if I converted to DNG, I assume I'd use differing software solutions since, even if they can all natively read my files, they have differing strengths.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »