July 22, 2018, 03:06:40 AM

Author Topic: joe mcnally talks about the D4  (Read 13733 times)

Meh

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: joe mcnally talks about the D4
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »
@orion you're right, anyone can be a master of light... generally, light sources, direction, equipment, etc. is a technical issue and is mostly about gaining knowledge and experience.  And anyone can be a master of camera gear... again, it's mostly a technical issue that can be learned.  But I think most of us will agree that being a master of camera gear does not automatically translate into being a master of photography.   In fact, being technically proficient, even a master, at anything does not equate to being in the upper echelon.  It's true for athletes, musicians, artists, business.   Sometimes, those in the upper echelon of performance are not even technical masters at all... they don't exactly know how they do it.   Sometimes, the upper echelon are not even the best, there could be better photographers out there that never made it.  In the arts, there is a certain amount of luck in getting your break.  We can all look at a Joe McNally photo and think we could get the same shot and maybe that's true.  But he did he get that shot, in the field, at that moment, under whatever conditions and limitations were present.  He got the subject to emote just so.  He got the timing just right.   Sure, to get those shots he needed certain gear and assistants that most of us don't have but those things didn't get the shot, they only facilitated getting the shot.  Maybe he even got ideas from those people.  Maybe one of them made the suggestion that was the key to making the shot great.  But it was still Joe McNally who is the photographer running the show.  He is a genious.  Not because he knows how to bounce light around or press the shutter... because he gets the shots that capture something that can't even really be described and explained.  Or maybe he's not a genius, but just a guy who takes photographs that a lot of people like.  Anyway, just my two cents.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:08:42 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »

Orion

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
My freind, all he does is set up lights or even ONE SB900 and takes photos. He compliments the light in the room or manipulates the light outside to overpower the sun for a sandy beach shot to underexpose the sky and get it dramatic while using fill flash for the model. . . there is no genious or master of gear or anything else . . you simply set up your lights (or single light with softbox) and fire away multiple exposures until you are happy.

Give me a sky with some definition, a model, and 2 strobes etc . .and a wide lens and you won;t see a genious that reminds you of McNally or anyone else . . . you will simply see an image that has been shot over and over agin, and it happens to be good. ON sets, McNally takes multiple exposures of any given scene untill he is happy. That's not "genious" . . . that is being a photographer who knows how to manipulate his equipment. . . no equipment, means no master of light. Work with the light you have . . . or don't have.

Meh

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
My freind, all he does is set up lights or even ONE SB900 and takes photos. He compliments the light in the room or manipulates the light outside to overpower the sun for a sandy beach shot to underexpose the sky and get it dramatic while using fill flash for the model. . . there is no genious or master of gear or anything else . . you simply set up your lights (or single light with softbox) and fire away multiple exposures until you are happy.

Give me a sky with some definition, a model, and 2 strobes etc . .and a wide lens and you won;t see a genious that reminds you of McNally or anyone else . . . you will simply see an image that has been shot over and over agin, and it happens to be good. ON sets, McNally takes multiple exposures of any given scene untill he is happy. That's not "genious" . . . that is being a photographer who knows how to manipulate his equipment. . . no equipment, means no master of light. Work with the light you have . . . or don't have.

I'm not getting your point.  Do you just take issue with the use of the word "genius" or are you generally questioning Joe McNally's skill as a photographer?

Ryusui

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
I think he wonders why it seems as if Joe McNally is revered in almost god-like form for his photos when anyone is able to do what he does if they know what they're doing and work hard enough.

Orion

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »

Give me a sky with some definition, a model, and 2 strobes etc . .and a wide lens and you won;t see a genius that reminds you of McNally or anyone else . . . you will simply see an image that has been shot over and over agin, and it happens to be good. ON sets, McNally takes multiple exposures of any given scene untill he is happy. That's not "genious" . . . that is being a photographer who knows how to manipulate his equipment. . . no equipment, means no master of light. Work with the light you have . . . or don't have.

I'm not getting your point.  Do you just take issue with the use of the word "genius" or are you generally questioning Joe McNally's skill as a photographer?

Well why would I question the obvious :) He takes great photos!

heck no! I'm just saying the truth about light, and how anyone with a strobe or 2 can make the same images, even with little PS post, etc. That is all I am saying. ALso, I don't think peopel should use the term master , especailly "genius" so freely anymore since it is slowly becomming a generic term in this digital age paired with a hungry photogrpaher willing to manipulate light without fear. McNally's photos can be made by thousands of other photgraphers out there . . . maybe millions (?).

EDIT:

btw, I wonder if McNally will also give his opinion on the 1Dx. . . I don;t know if he is allowed or if he has done so in the past with other Canon pro bodies. If he is not allowed, it is one of the lamest things imaginable. I wuld love his unbiased opinion, after the production model is released.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:04:56 PM by Orion »

pdirestajr

• EOS 5DS R
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
What impresses me most about him and his work is more of his understanding of light, how to manipulate it & how to quickly adjust on the fly. His books and workshops aren't a "how-to" cookbook on how to get a type of shot, they are more about the philosophy of capturing the light.

The interesting thing is that he uses ETTL (or whatever the Nikon version is), and allows the camera to do a LOT of the guess work. Never saw him or heard him talk much about a light meter. He then "nudges" the camera in the right direction. He makes a strong case for taking full advantage of the latest technology and gear. I see all too many people with huge egos and pride to ever dare admit they use any type of "auto" function on their fancy cameras. Why pay for that all when you shoot RAW on manual mode with manual focus?

He did a tour with David Hobby a few years back that was really great as they have different philosophies and approaches to lighting.

dafrank

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
Evaluating the work of Joe McNally
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:10 AM »
From what I've seen of his work, Joe McNally certainly is both a hard worker, has a good knowledge of technique and has a very fine talent. To succeed in this field, one must do and have ball three. I don't think anyone should discount his abilities and achievements, and I admire him and like his work very much. However, his achievements have been matched or exceeded by many dozens of his contemporaries, some of them very well known, others not. And, yes, there are many people who have matched the same hard work he has been willing to expend and have talent and knowledge equal to or greater than he, who have not become quite as well known because of simple circumstances or sometimes even "luck." Some of the reasons that so many more photographers, non-professionals and professionals alike, have "heard" of Joe are because so much of his work has allowed him name recognition, because he has tried very hard to stay in the public spotlight, and because he has written a lot of "how to" books and articles.

So, let's celebrate his achievements but not over-estimate them as singularly unique.
Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

Evaluating the work of Joe McNally
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:10 AM »