May 23, 2018, 05:17:28 AM

Author Topic: Canon CEO Very Dismayed by Brexit, Could Halt Japan Recovery  (Read 39309 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
From Reuters:

Canon Inc Chief Executive Fujio Mitarai said on Friday he was “very dismayed” by Britain’s shock decision to leave the European Union, saying the move hurt Japan’s economic growth prospects.

“In Japan, while we can expect to see a temporary surge in the value of the yen, the U.K.’s decision could also bring a halt to the economic recovery that had been underway,” Mitarai, head of the camera and printer maker, said in a statement.

Read more

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

GuyF

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Canon CEO Very Dismayed by Brexit, Could Halt Japan Recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
Well this is what happens when you don't supply a printed manual with your flagship camera in the UK and charge £5200 for the privilage.

On a more serious note, what's all the bloody panic? It's only a shock if you haven't been following European politics. The notion that the world will fall apart just because one nation doesn't want to be part of a club?  ::)

There will still be trade on a global scale, there will still be money sloshing from nation to nation. The UK will still buy French cheese/wine, German cars, Japanese electronics, Italian guacamole....

Keep calm and carry a camera.  :)

PhotographyFirst

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »
[rant]

Wonder what he'll say when Emperor Me_Me_Me is elected, he pulls the 'trade war' lever and the US starts building all its electronics domestically like he promised.   :-[

Sorry, I know this is a (blissfully) politics-free place, but I'm @#$%ing terrified that the Brexit is a harbinger of a DT presidency.  Like move-to-Canada terrified. 

[/rant]

- A

As someone who has lived in Canada, it's not as green-grassed as many seem to think. Plenty of their own problems socially and politically.

On topic
I sure hope the slow economic recovery doesn't cause any additional exits from the camera market, like Samsung.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
On a more serious note, what's all the bloody panic? It's only a shock if you haven't been following European politics. The notion that the world will fall apart just because one nation doesn't want to be part of a club?  ::)

There will still be trade on a global scale, there will still be money sloshing from nation to nation. The UK will still buy French cheese/wine, German cars, Japanese electronics, Italian guacamole....

As an American, I'm far less worried about markets, what 'region' England and Wales will fall in, etc. than I am about the coalition of folks who voted 'Leave':  it's highly consistent with Me_Me_Me's core people and message.

So, no, the Brexit is just a decision that's not directly my business and I won't lose sleep over it.  But I will lose sleep over a wave of xenophobia, nationalism, and exclusion rising in all corners of world politics right now.

Keep calm and carry a camera.  :)

Better advice has never been given.  :D

- A

j-nord

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Derp
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
Incredibly good move for Britain.
5DSR | 100-400ii | 16-35 f4 IS | 50 f1.8 STM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jnordgaard/

Lt Colonel

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
I guess the EU voters weren't interested in the economic recovery of Japan, but rather the current environment they are living in which is often not necessarily the same socioeconomic environment that the political leaders live in. 

Sounds vaguely familiar to our political leadership in both chambers and both sides of the isle.

I, Like hopefully each one here, hope this doesn't negatively impact Canon or the production of their fine products. However, I doubt that residents of Japan give a lot of thought to the impact of foreign nations when they vote on issues concerning their home environment.

5DMKIII.6D,7D,1DMKIII,EOSM

George D.

• EOS M5
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »
There is high currency volatility right now so (camera/lens) import/export prices must be re-adjusted, how much nobody knows.

5D Mk. IV launch in August? We shall see. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:56:08 PM by George D. »
5D MkII, 15/2.8, 24/1.4L II, 50/1.2L, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8L II, 2x-II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
As a EU citizen (German) I am quite disappointed (I won't call it dismayed) of the decision of the people of Britain but I always respect democratic decisions.

I believe that it is not good for the EU but am very sure that it'll be much worse for Britain.
I am sure that the EU will gain strength from it and there is a higher danger of Great Brtain falling apart (see Scotland) than the EU.

I hope (but don't really believe) that politicians all over the world might learn their lesson of pusuing more the peoples needs.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »
Good reminder of how coddled most of us on the forum are. We sit here debating cameras and lenses that cost thousands of (pick your currency), while even in the "stable" economies of the world many workers have seen their incomes fall during a period that economists have had the audacity to label a "recovery." I don't know what the solution is, but clearly the current system isn't working for a majority of people.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
Good reminder of how coddled most of us on the forum are. We sit here debating cameras and lenses that cost thousands of (pick your currency), while even in the "stable" economies of the world many workers have seen their incomes fall during a period that economists have had the audacity to label a "recovery." I don't know what the solution is, but clearly the current system isn't working for a majority of people.

Agree, of course, but the idea that the Brexit was a referendum on 'things are awesome' (Remain) vs. 'blow s--- up and start over' (Leave) is simply not true, just like a vote for HRC is a vote for 'America Rocks Right Now' vs. a vote for DT being 'America Will Rock Again'. 

It's far far far more nuanced than that, but in an up-down / left v. right vote, we tend to associate these cartoonishly polarized positions the opposite of one another. 

But I'm sure you know this forum isn't full one 1%-ers, regardless of how much we sink (or would like to sink) into photography gear.

- A

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
As a EU citizen (German) I am quite disappointed (I won't call it dismayed) of the decision of the people of Britain but I always respect democratic decisions.

As a German you are disappointed, as a Brit I am horrified!

Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

SwnSng

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »
Or is it just a sly move by the head of Canon as a scapegoat to raise prices  ::)
Canon 5D Mark III - Canon 11-24mm F4/L | 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.2L | 100mm 2.8L Macro | 70-200mm 2.8L Mark II

davidmurray

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:21:01 PM »
Incredibly good move for Britain.

+1

It won't change whether or not people want to buy a Canon camera.

Agreed - the current exchange rate fluctuations are just short term currency speculation - because the outcome was known to be a likely outcome.

Also agreed - this is an off topic thread for this non-political forum and the initial post and entire thread should be removed due to its political nature.
Cameras & lenses:: 5Dmk3 (gripped), 7Dmk2, EF 24-105/4.0L IS USM, 70-200/2.8L IS II USM, 100/2.8L IS USM Macro, 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.
Printers: ImagePROGRAF PRO-1000, Selphy CP-1200.
Other stuff: SpeedLite 600EX-RT, timer TC-80N3, extenders, spacers, microphones, tripods, stands.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:21:01 PM »

rcarca

• EOS M5
  • Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
    • Richard Anderson Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »

As a German you are disappointed, as a Brit I am horrified!

+1000 I cannot believe it...

I haven't been able to pick a camera up today!
5DMkiii, 7D, some glass I love

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »
If Canon halts or suspends production on any anticipated bodies then popcorn sales will go through the roof! Just how many pages of threads can we endure while waiting for the 5D4?
EOS 5D3, EOS M5 and no room left in the 1510.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »