December 10, 2017, 09:27:52 PM

Author Topic: Lens calibration question  (Read 12141 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: Lens calibration question
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »
I've sent a few lenses to Canon due to focus issues.  Typically, they try an "electronic adjustment" first and send it back to you.   If that doesn't work,  send it back, they will try it again and it still won't work right.  On the third attempt, they may give it to a tech who knows how to take the lens apart and fix things like loose zoom assemblies and decentered elements, which can't be fixed with electronic adjustments.

You really have to be persistent.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the next time I send a lens in for the second time, I will include a note requesting that the lens be sent to a tech who knows how to fix mechanical problems.

There is always that issue.  99% of the problems are mechanical, even electrical issues turn out to be mechanical but on a tiny scale. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »

Mancubus

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 03:25:41 AM »
(...)send it back, they will try it again and it still won't work right.  On the third attempt, they may give it to a tech who knows how to (...)

That's exactly what I mean by being "unimportant". Just like me, you are a powerless consumer who they can afford to treat like a fool.

I bet they would think twice before doing that if the lens belonged to a famous youtuber or a big media company.

If I was living in a country like the US I'd take this to court. Unfortunately in Thailand it doesn't really work that easily and I would end up with a lost case and more expenses.

I've read about Nikon here and the tech support is even worse. So my plan to sell everything and get a D850 is probably not going to happen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 03:25:41 AM »