August 23, 2014, 08:01:26 AM

Author Topic: 5D X or Mark III Specs & Release Date? [CR1]  (Read 38577 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D X or Mark III Specs & Release Date? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
I would LOVE to be wrong, but how could this camera be real?  What differentiates it from the 1DX?  (ie. is there $4100 in difference?)

Not to be a hater, but I think this sounds more like a wish list... my wish list.. =)  IF it's true, I'll be ordering mine asap... if not than i'll go sulk in my room.

+1 on these.  It's a nice wish list.  Wishes don't often come true.  But Canon's goal is to make money, total profit is what matters, not profit per camera line.  This may represent a strategic shift - combine the 1-series lines to a single body to reduce R&D costs, put top technology in an 'affordable' camera that to the casual eye looks a LOT like the top of the line pro camera, which boosts sales of that 5-series model (a great price for a baby 1D X), and the unit sales of the 5-series more than makes up for lost sales on the 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

KT

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX killer?
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »
I would LOVE to be wrong, but how could this camera be real?  What differentiates it from the 1DX?  (ie. is there $4100 in difference?)

61pt AF?  Smells like a 1DX
6.9FPS?  Pretty powerful to pump 22MP through on just a Digic 5
$2700?  Why would I ever pay $6800 for a 1DX aside from [arguably] a little ISO help on the top end?

I can totally understand why most folks on this forum are skeptical about such a camera at this price but remember what people thought of the 5D mark II when it first came out? It was basically a small replica of the 1Ds mark III (selling for $8000 at the time) offered at $2700, OK so the AF of the mark II sucked but you got the video functionality instead and this was a fair trade. Of course the mark II all but killed the 1Ds III sales by selling for 1/3 of the 1Ds III price. So who knows, maybe they will do the same again and offer the 5D X for less than 1/2 the price of the 1D X with comparable functionality. Maybe they need to sell large number of the 61 point AF module to make production profitable and that's the only way to sell that many units.

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
We’ve seen one report about an October ship date for the 5D Mark III. If it’s not the 5DX/Mark III coming in the next month or so, then something else will be.

Sounds like a 7D replacement to me...

yunusoglu

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
If these specs are true, then it seems that there won't be anything coming from Canon aimed straight at studio photographers... I guess, they'll finally make me sell my car for a MF camera...

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
If they kill the 7D mk II, they will have my limitless rage! :'( Or sorrow.

Seriously though, they had better not kill the 7D line off!

I'm confused as to why you think they would kill the the 7D line  :o

And speaking of frame rate, the 1Dx uses 2 Digic 5+ processors. At 12 fps at 18MP= 216MP/sec. Scaling that to a 22 MP sensor, Dual Digic 5+ would be able to move 22MP at nearly 10fts.
One Digic 5+ would maybe do 5fts at 22MP??

So unless the 5d mk3/mkx has dual Digic 5+, I don't see how it can do 6.9fps.
On a single Digic 5+ CPU I can believe anything roughly under 5fps
Another hypothetical option to get the math working might be dual Digic5 instead of single/dual Digic5+.

When it comes to computing there seems to be some diminishing returns when you add processing power. If dual Digic5+ can push 22mp at 10fps it doesn't exactly mean that a single Digic5+ would push 5fps.  The math doesn't always work out.

Also, there are other limiting factors besides processing power. Take the shutter for example. Who is to say that the 1Dx 12fps was limited by the processors? It could have been the shutter and mirror or the AF system that couldn't keep up. According to the math the 7D should be able to do 9fps to match the same mp/sec that the 1DIV handles but it doesn't.

There is also the issue of how long it could do 6.9fps before slowing up. It could make the trade off of more FPS for smaller bursts.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »

Not to be a hater, but I think this sounds more like a wish list... my wish list.. =)  IF it's true, I'll be ordering mine asap... if not than i'll go sulk in my room.

+1 on these.  It's a nice wish list.  Wishes don't often come true.  But Canon's goal is to make money, total profit is what matters, not profit per camera line.  This may represent a strategic shift - combine the 1-series lines to a single body to reduce R&D costs, put top technology in an 'affordable' camera that to the casual eye looks a LOT like the top of the line pro camera, which boosts sales of that 5-series model (a great price for a baby 1D X), and the unit sales of the 5-series more than makes up for lost sales on the 1D X.

Maybe it's the best way to find tech specs of 5d3? :) Since we know what specs of 1dx are, we could find specs of 5d3 by simply removing from 1dx something what the pro flagship DSLR of today should have. So - what is in 1dx that each pro really must have and will justify such an additional spend of money but a semipro would not need and still be very glad without it?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

outsider

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
....  But Canon's goal is to make money, total profit is what matters, not profit per camera line.  This may represent a strategic shift - combine the 1-series lines to a single body to reduce R&D costs, put top technology in an 'affordable' camera that to the casual eye looks a LOT like the top of the line pro camera, which boosts sales of that 5-series model (a great price for a baby 1D X), and the unit sales of the 5-series more than makes up for lost sales on the 1D X.
Along the lines of Canon's goals of making money (with which I totally agree with) Canon has never been a company to make HUGE leaps and bounds with each new generation of camera. They are very evolutionary (small incremental changes) in their product line.
I find it strange that they would develop two separate full frame sensors with only a few MP difference. Sensor development in general is not cheap, and full frame is even more expensive due to the size of the dies.

I would have used the AF system out of a 7D, and the sensor out of the 1Dx, bump the fps to a point where one Digic 5+ chip can handle, and I'm sure you'd have one winner of a camera for very little development costs.

lbloom

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Even if the "wish list" is a wash, if one of the "+3 lenses" is the 24-70mm II, that will be cool!

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
Is it likely for Canon to release a 22 MP 5DX and 36 MP 5D3? Hmmm...

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
Two remarks. First, the main competitor of a 5D2 successor is not the 1DX but something another company will announce next week. Second, I don't understand why people care about the 7D. The 7D is Canons crop flagship. Crop vs. fullframe is not a minor spec update. It is a completely different line and value range.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
Two remarks. First, the main competitor of a 5D2 successor is not the 1DX but something another company will announce next week. Second, I don't understand why people care about the 7D. The 7D is Canons crop flagship. Crop vs. fullframe is not a minor spec update. It is a completely different line and value range.

+1:  Makes little sense for them to Merge a crop with FF. If they had to merge anything, they should merge the xxxxD and xxxD lines before they tinker with these "Halo" product offerings.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:09:06 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
This would be basically everything I have wanted since owning both the 5D Mk II and the 7D and deciding which to keep.

What did you read in the rumor that said Canon would kill the 7D off?

The only ones who would kill the 7D off are the purchasers.  If they do not buy it, it will die.  However, its in a totally different market than the 5D MK II, selling for several hundred dollars less, and very popular.

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
I can't believe the FPS or AF.

If they had said 5-ish fps, and 45 point AF; that I could have believed.

100% agree....the frame rate and AF points are not to be believed, not combined with 22 Mpix at a $2700 price tag.  It spits all over the 1Dx's market positioning if that's the actual specs, and this isn't going to be a full frame 7D either, at least not from a frame-rate and AF speed standpoint.

I'd be inclined to believe 5 fps, 19 AF pts, at 22 Mpix full frame, and native ISO to 25,600, expanded to 102,400.  Add a wi-fi option for 802.11N and many wedding/studio folks will be happy.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
This would be basically everything I have wanted since owning both the 5D Mk II and the 7D and deciding which to keep.

What did you read in the rumor that said Canon would kill the 7D off?

The only ones who would kill the 7D off are the purchasers.  If they do not buy it, it will die.  However, its in a totally different market than the 5D MK II, selling for several hundred dollars less, and very popular.

and has better AF
and is faster
and makes the 100-400 act like 160-480mm  :)

EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
Lens wise, I hope it arrives with:
24-105/4L IS II (or 24-120/4L IS to match Nikon) for which there were rumors about a year ago that it would arrive with the 5D3
24-70/2.8L II (or IS, or better yet both ways like the 70-200s are) for which there have been endless rumors for MANY years
100-400L II (unlikely) for which there have been space rumors, but I would really like to see get a refresh (mostly coatings and 4-stop IS, perhaps a more traditional twisty zoom)