July 28, 2014, 06:55:08 PM

Author Topic: 5D X or Mark III Specs & Release Date? [CR1]  (Read 38080 times)

nicopol

Re: 5D X or Mark III Specs & Release Date? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »
Canon will have to improve the sensor (which isn't necessarily more MP), give me weathersealing at least on par with the 7D and give me some type of remote flash commander at a minimum. And even then its iffy because I don't *need* it. Want? Sure, but not need.

Exactly! Thats how I see it as well and why I'm so excited about the whole year.
We reached a certain point in digital photography where every major camera manufacturer has very good models allready. The only way to get the most people to buy it, is by making the III almost perfect.

Even tho I wont buy the III, because I'm already so satisfied with the MarkII. But if it breaks some day I'll definitely take the MarkIII/X and nothing else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »

00Q

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
available in april? I dont think so....

and 61 af points? that is not possible. People wont be buying the 1DX then. Id think its something more like 12

nicopol

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »

and 61 af points? that is not possible. People wont be buying the 1DX then. Id think its something more like 12

Did you read that last pages?

Professionals will buy the 1Dx in any Way.
Hobby-Photogs wont, but they doesnt matter in regards to sales.

Steb

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

For sure it is. Release date is April 1st. Trust me!  ;D

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »

Exactly! Thats how I see it as well and why I'm so excited about the whole year.
We reached a certain point in digital photography where every major camera manufacturer has very good models allready. The only way to get the most people to buy it, is by making the III almost perfect.

I think Canon knows this.

Very few will upgrade just for the 7D focus system.

The differentiation between 5DII to 5DIII will need to be a lot, simply because the 5DII is so good as it is.

I also think that the product cycle changes as a whole will show smaller improvements without huge price increases, driving the "new and better" lens versions. People may keep their 5Dc or 5DII for a while but want new lenses. Just another way to keep revenue coming in.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:27:04 PM by danski0224 »
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »

I think Canon knows this.

Very few will upgrade just for the 7D focus system.

The differentiation between 5DII to 5DIII will need to be a lot, simply because the 5DII is so good as it is.

Maybe Canon fears that by continuing to offer sub-optimal AF system in a camera like the 5D they will start loosing customer to Nikon.  Now that we can assume Nikon would be close to or on par to the 5D like camera for the video feature (a major differentiator of the 5D) they cant continue to give us a crappy AF system.  I think a 61 points or 45 points AF is very much possible to level the playing field with Nikon.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »
Maybe Canon fears that by continuing to offer sub-optimal AF system in a camera like the 5D they will start loosing customer to Nikon.  Now that we can assume Nikon would be close to or on par to the 5D like camera for the video feature (a major differentiator of the 5D) they cant continue to give us a crappy AF system.  I think a 61 points or 45 points AF is very much possible to level the playing field with Nikon.

Could be.

I haven't really looked into how economical it is to switch from Canon to Nikon.

New customers without any lenses, sure.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Lens wise, I hope it arrives with:
24-105/4L IS II (or 24-120/4L IS to match Nikon) for which there were rumors about a year ago that it would arrive with the 5D3
24-70/2.8L II (or IS, or better yet both ways like the 70-200s are) for which there have been endless rumors for MANY years
100-400L II (unlikely) for which there have been space rumors, but I would really like to see get a refresh (mostly coatings and 4-stop IS, perhaps a more traditional twisty zoom)

I would love to see a new 24-105 as well but I think the third lens in the mix might be the 35mm 1.4L II instead...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Martin_A

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
The specs look like some 3D specs, the price looks like a 5D price...

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
Lens wise, I hope it arrives with:
24-105/4L IS II (or 24-120/4L IS to match Nikon) for which there were rumors about a year ago that it would arrive with the 5D3
24-70/2.8L II (or IS, or better yet both ways like the 70-200s are) for which there have been endless rumors for MANY years
100-400L II (unlikely) for which there have been space rumors, but I would really like to see get a refresh (mostly coatings and 4-stop IS, perhaps a more traditional twisty zoom)

I would love to see a new 24-105 as well but I think the third lens in the mix might be the 35mm 1.4L II instead...

I would be happy with a 50mm 1.4 II
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Tayvin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Tayvin Knight Photo
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »
Canon already took care of their sports and action photographers with the 1D X, so I don't think these specs are correct for a 5D Mark III.  It could be a cheaper X series.  If it is a 5D, I'll just hold on to my 5D mark ii.  I see no point in upgrading to those specs.  But it's all rumor anyway  ;)

StevenBrianSamuels

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Why so many studio photog haters?

I'd pick this camera up for general use & events, but for the studio it's a pass.

Yes, it IS about MP.  A 36+ MP camera would put many of us studio folks closer in the race with the MF studio photographers, at the lower end of course. But still a foot in the door without having to shell out 50k-100k+ for MF cameras, digital backs, and new $$$ glass.

I guess people just dont understand that higher end ad agencies REQUIRE at least 30mp photos (some 40+).  They need the ability to crop and scale how they wish without loss in quality.  They want the images for a variety of uses as well, magazine, billboard, etc.

I would take a 5dwhatever with 1 central AF point and 100 iso only.  Now, occasionally, I rent an old PhaseOne setup from a local semi-retired fashion photographer, which cuts into my budget, and my savings for my own system.

A high MP 5d would allow many of us to use our existing glass, and open up doors to better paying jobs without selling our homes.  It would also allow us to save up for that MP gear for a few years longer.  I do think I will eventually need to switch to MF at some point if the higher paying jobs increase enough to justify the leap (and it's a huge leap).   My own business model is based on clients first, gear second, not the other way around. (Except when first starting out of course).

The 5d USE to be a lower cost (compared to MF), high MP, studio/landscape camera until the 5d2 made it into something different.  Which is all fine and good, its a nice multi use camera but I dont need the higher isos or fps for my job (personally I would love it).

I really hope we see a line split between 5d event/low light lovers & 5d Studio/landscape folks.  I may even by both and a new 7d for birding (one camera to rule them all is a dream).

Jimmy_D

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »
Good evening to everyone!! This is my first post on this forum, and it happens to be a question...

How on earth is canon going to keep competition with nikon (provided the d800 is a 36mp camera) with a camera that's most likely going to have a 22mp sensor (regardless of other features)?? Is something wrong in this picture or it's just me?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
How on earth is canon going to keep competition with nikon (provided the d800 is a 36mp camera) with a camera that's most likely going to have a 22mp sensor (regardless of other features)?? Is something wrong in this picture or it's just me?

First, the D800 has to be a 36 MP camera.

But, it's my contention that competition at this level is less of a factor than you might think.  How many prople jump into the dSLR realm with the purchase of a FF camera and lens(es) which will cost over $3K?  Not many.  I think the real competition occurs at the entry level, and them most consumers stick with that brand, either out of loyalty, familarity, or most commonly already being bought into the system with EF lenses, flashes, etc.  Canon's need is to induce people with 5D/5DII to upgrade and those with CAnon APS-C bodies to go FF - a camera with the rumored spec would likely do those quite well.

I think the only place the Canon 22 MP vs. Nikon 36 MP issue would really hurt is on the Best Buy sales floor, because those typically uninformed sales people often know only that 'more MP is better' and the irony is that Canon are the ones who taught them that...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
Why so many studio photog haters?

I'd pick this camera up for general use & events, but for the studio it's a pass.

Yes, it IS about MP.  A 36+ MP camera would put many of us studio folks closer in the race with the MF studio photographers, at the lower end of course. But still a foot in the door without having to shell out 50k-100k+ for MF cameras, digital backs, and new $$$ glass.

I guess people just dont understand that higher end ad agencies REQUIRE at least 30mp photos (some 40+).  They need the ability to crop and scale how they wish without loss in quality.  They want the images for a variety of uses as well, magazine, billboard, etc.

I would take a 5dwhatever with 1 central AF point and 100 iso only.  Now, occasionally, I rent an old PhaseOne setup from a local semi-retired fashion photographer, which cuts into my budget, and my savings for my own system.

A high MP 5d would allow many of us to use our existing glass, and open up doors to better paying jobs without selling our homes.  It would also allow us to save up for that MP gear for a few years longer.  I do think I will eventually need to switch to MF at some point if the higher paying jobs increase enough to justify the leap (and it's a huge leap).   My own business model is based on clients first, gear second, not the other way around. (Except when first starting out of course).

The 5d USE to be a lower cost (compared to MF), high MP, studio/landscape camera until the 5d2 made it into something different.  Which is all fine and good, its a nice multi use camera but I dont need the higher isos or fps for my job (personally I would love it).

I really hope we see a line split between 5d event/low light lovers & 5d Studio/landscape folks.  I may even by both and a new 7d for birding (one camera to rule them all is a dream).

You seem to have missed the fact that as soon as 35mm systems start to offer >30MP, the agencies will start to demand 40MP+.  Most of them don't really need >30MP, I'm sure they have this minimum requirement to stop them being pestered by amateurs...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »