August 23, 2014, 11:36:34 AM

Author Topic: G1X Review - The G1X is a hermaphrodite  (Read 5832 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
G1X Review - The G1X is a hermaphrodite
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/canon_g1x_field_report.shtml

"Can Canon continue to be content to produce warmed-over versions of last year's DSLRs, ignore the mirrorless segment, and produce compromised crossover products such as the G1X? I sincerely hope not, because they are a great company which has hugely contributed to the photographic industry over the years. It's just that at the moment the still camera division at Canon seems stuck in about 2005. It took a palace revolt that same year at Nikon to give that company back its mojo. Will the same be required at Canon in 2012?"

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: G1X Review - The G1X is a hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:24 PM »
Thanks for the link
+1

I do not believe that Canon's target market for a G1 X is a photography enthusiast or  DSLR shooter, but instead its for the G12 user who wants a little more. When you look at it that way, it makes sense except for the price. It is a dissapointment for enthusiasts, that is certain.

I was planning to get one for my wife.  She wants nothing to do with changing lenses, or manually setting things.  Its made for someone like her, but at a much lower price point, imho, so I have passed it up until the price drops - --a lot!

I also looked at the huge array of mirrorless bodies, and came away disappointed, many had no viewfinder at all, in fact most did not, so the poor G1 X viewfinder is still a step ahead of them.  I thought the Nex 7 would be a good choice, but it is way overpriced, and the Nex 5n is nice, but with the klutzy add-on EVF viewfinder, that disappointed me as well.  The Nikon V1 is a pretty nice package, but iq no better than her G11, and, again, no viewfinder for the J1, and its huge considering the tiny sensor.

We are still seeing new ideas and innovations, and that is good, but the ideal small body for me is not quite there yet.

However, I don't pretend to be typical small camera user, I have large hands and small pocketbook. 

I'm not likely to invest in small interchangable lens bodies unless the lens system is well established, like that of micro four thirds bodies.  I don't own a iphone, ipad or the like.  Some of the brands will go away, and many will not be in production after we see a shakeout.  Even Nikon is not immune to poor sales if they miss the target.

Sony seems to be well placed with their huge manufacturing capacity, and they do seem to be rapidly heading in the right direction.  However, they still do not have customer support figured out.  Their products are throwaways, there is no support once a model is discontinued.  Serious camera owners want support for a $1K+ camera system.

gonzalo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
i'm enjoying very much my little hermaphrodite  :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gonzalovidalsoler/sets/72157629235962232/

please see original size ¡¡

smirkypants

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »

The in focus areas are great, the out of focus areas are pretty rough. I have the G12, and while nice for snapshots I've found the bokeh to be unbearably bad. Looks like they haven't really worked on that much. Sad.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
I also looked at the huge array of mirrorless bodies, and came away disappointed, many had no viewfinder at all, in fact most did not, so the poor G1 X viewfinder is still a step ahead of them.  I thought the Nex 7 would be a good choice, but it is way overpriced, and the Nex 5n is nice, but with the klutzy add-on EVF viewfinder, that disappointed me as well.  The Nikon V1 is a pretty nice package, but iq no better than her G11, and, again, no viewfinder for the J1, and its huge considering the tiny sensor.

Panasonic's G series and GH series both have built in viewfinders, as does the new Olympus OM-D.  The new GH and OM-D cameras are pricy, but the G series is relatively inexpensive, and is in its third revision (which means you can get older versions starting at about $200)

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
That's what I call a Review.
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

gonzalo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »

The in focus areas are great, the out of focus areas are pretty rough. I have the G12, and while nice for snapshots I've found the bokeh to be unbearably bad. Looks like they haven't really worked on that much. Sad.
I sold my G9 and the change is fantastic, the bokeh imo is similar to big cameras like 450D, i agree is too expensive for a compact camera especially if you don't use as me video nor jpg where all effects and escenes are. Why only shot 4:3 in raw canon?¡

Flake

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
Lumious landscape home to some of the most ridiculous statements ever made in the field of photography like the guy who blamed the Canon lens because the light levels weren't high enough for a faster shutter speed.

The G1X has been rated by some as better than the Canon 7D and the equivalent Nikon DSLRs, it's so remarkable piece of kit that unless  you've had your hands on one and seen the images you probably won't believe.

If Nikon had produced this camera the review would have been different.  To see the extent of biased reviewing just look at past cameras and their useability today.  No one's using a D100 professionally nor the D200, but the 5D and 40D are still being used; the D2x isn't really commercially useable, but the 1Ds MkII certainly is.  It's only now with the benefit of hindsight that we see clearly just how much better the Canon cameras actually were, what a pity that the reviewers didn't at the time.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »

"Can Canon continue to be content to produce warmed-over versions of last year's DSLRs, ignore the mirrorless segment, and produce compromised crossover products such as the G1X? I sincerely hope not, because they are a great company which has hugely contributed to the photographic industry over the years. It's just that at the moment the still camera division at Canon seems stuck in about 2005. It took a palace revolt that same year at Nikon to give that company back its mojo. Will the same be required at Canon in 2012?"

Thanks for the link Dilbert.  Couldn't agree with you more on this one!  Feels indeed like Canon is very risk averse in its new generation choice when it could take some leap and completely define the markets.  I am sure this has to do with some executive being afraid such an approach would be risky on short term revenu and cost...and their bonus - seriously, no joke this is how it works in large company unless you have a visionary like Steve Job at the top!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:29:13 AM »
Thanks for the link
+1

I do not believe that Canon's target market for a G1 X is a photography enthusiast or  DSLR shooter, but instead its for the G12 user who wants a little more. When you look at it that way, it makes sense except for the price. It is a dissapointment for enthusiasts, that is certain.

I was planning to get one for my wife.  She wants nothing to do with changing lenses, or manually setting things.  Its made for someone like her, but at a much lower price point, imho, so I have passed it up until the price drops - --a lot!

We are still seeing new ideas and innovations, and that is good, but the ideal small body for me is not quite there yet.

However, I don't pretend to be typical small camera user, I have large hands and small pocketbook. 

I'm not likely to invest in small interchangable lens bodies unless the lens system is well established, like that of micro four thirds bodies.  I don't own a iphone, ipad or the like.  Some of the brands will go away, and many will not be in production after we see a shakeout.  Even Nikon is not immune to poor sales if they miss the target.

Sony seems to be well placed with their huge manufacturing capacity, and they do seem to be rapidly heading in the right direction.  However, they still do not have customer support figured out.  Their products are throwaways, there is no support once a model is discontinued.  Serious camera owners want support for a $1K+ camera system.

Mt Spokane Photography:

I endorse every word in your post. After all is said and done, we still do not seem to have a small body - large sensor camera at an affordable price, with a good VF, and ++IQ. All the small bodies today are either very expensive (lieca, nex7, etc.) or partial solutions only.

I too would hesitate investing >>$$ is a system that is just one of the many items on the sony conveyor belt - here today gone tomorrow.

The xpro + lenses would run you > $3,000 !!

The G1X is the "rich mans p&s" - not a backup DSLR its way to slow to focus and slow on the lenses.
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:10 AM »
I endorse every word in your post. After all is said and done, we still do not seem to have a small body - large sensor camera at an affordable price, with a good VF, and ++IQ. All the small bodies today are either very expensive (lieca, nex7, etc.) or partial solutions only.

I too would hesitate investing >>$$ is a system that is just one of the many items on the sony conveyor belt - here today gone tomorrow.

The xpro + lenses would run you > $3,000 !!

The G1X is the "rich mans p&s" - not a backup DSLR its way to slow to focus and slow on the lenses.

Previous generation micro 4/3 cameras are inexpensive if you're willing to buy used. The Panasonic G2 includes a built in  optical viewfinder.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
I was looking at the G1 X as a wet weather camera to stick inside a waterproof coat when out walking and finding the weather change and a wonderful sky open up.  The viewfinder is tiny on it and almost a complete waste time bearing in mind the coverage it has.  Instead before I bought the mkIII I bought the NEX 3 with two lenses and both fit nicely in my large waterproofed inside jacket of my Berghaus Gore tex.  It's a dust magnet though, but has more mp and better overall in my view as a last resort camera. 

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »

I am expecting /hoping Canon  has a 7D replacement with some awesome specifications. I believe the whole rebel line will be stalled out until they release it. The trickle down worked so well over the last four years I can't imagine them not staying the coarse. Of coarse an impressive advance with a 7D would also spur on the ff line. Certainly something exciting must show up before the holiday season.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera