March 24, 2017, 08:17:33 PM

Author Topic: Cameras must be put in checked luggage on international flights  (Read 5858 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
Just reading this now, but it would appear for some international slights, camera gear, laptops, etc. can't be brought into an airline cabin as a carry-on any longer.  Gear would have to be put into checked bags:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-airlines-electronics-idUSKBN16R2JN

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/20/us-authorities-ban-electronics-larger-than-a-phone-from-flights-from-13-countries/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/electronics-banned-us-bound-flights-46261625

I'm sure we'll hear about this on the news soon as this just dropped, but FYI if you are traveling.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
Re: Cameras must be put in checked luggage on international flights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »
Laptops, Cameras, what about tablets?  I don't think that the rules are actually revealed yet, so we are hearing rumors and leaks.  They are likely correct unless the rules change.

Apparently, checked luggage gets a very thorough x-ray, as well as dog sniffing for explosives or drugs.  This may spell the end for taking laptops and DSLR's on vacation, because too many seem to disappear from checked luggage.

US airlines are not affected, and the ban is for flights to the US from specific countries.  So, you can take it with you onboard when going from the US to one of those countries, but coming back it needs to be checked.  The rules seem to be convoluted and unclear.

East Wind Photography

• 5DSR
  • EWP
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »
Great!  No way to contain a lithium ion battery fire down in the luggage compartment.  Sounds like a really big safety issue to me.
Like Like x 1 View List

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:56 PM »
Laptops, Cameras, what about tablets?  I don't think that the rules are actually revealed yet, so we are hearing rumors and leaks.  They are likely correct unless the rules change.

Apparently, checked luggage gets a very thorough x-ray, as well as dog sniffing for explosives or drugs.  This may spell the end for taking laptops and DSLR's on vacation, because too many seem to disappear from checked luggage.

US airlines are not affected, and the ban is for flights to the US from specific countries.  So, you can take it with you onboard when going from the US to one of those countries, but coming back it needs to be checked.  The rules seem to be convoluted and unclear.

Yep, this looks to be part and parcel with the US travel ban -- only African / Middle Eastern originating flights seem to be under the microscope from what I've read.

Apparently, we've rolled out yet another piece of zero-notice policy has cause some confusion  ::).  I'm hearing on TV we'll get an announcement tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

- A

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
It is as if they are trying to discourage tourists and business travellers.....

If I had to check my camera and laptop into the cargo hold to go visit a place, I would find somewhere else to visit.
The best camera is the one in your hands
Like Like x 5 View List

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
Great!  No way to contain a lithium ion battery fire down in the luggage compartment.  Sounds like a really big safety issue to me.

That would only be an issue for spare LiIon batteries.  It's currently fine to have in checked luggage a device with a lithium battery installed. 

But still, I'm glad my international trips this year include only destinations in Europe.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

takesome1

• 5DSR
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »
According to BBC

The nine airlines affected are:
Royal Jordanian
Egypt Air
Turkish Airlines
Saudi Arabian Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Qatar Airways
Emirates
Etihad Airways

The countries:
Morocco
Turkey
Egypt
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Qatar
United Arab Emirates

The reason:

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said extremists were seeking "innovative methods" to bring down jets.
Bombs could be hidden in laptops, tablets, cameras, DVD players and electronic games, it said.
Like Like x 2 View List

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »

kirispupis

• Canon 6D
    • CalevPhoto
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
Also note that this is only on direct flights from (essentially Muslim) countries to the US. It does not apply to flights from the US to those countries, nor does it apply if you have a connection somewhere else - such as Europe.

However, it does apply to cameras. I'm not sure if it applies to lenses (hope not) that have electronics inside.

Of course, the whole thing is BS. The toughest security I've ever had to go through was in Dubai and other sane countries have no such restrictions. On the positive side, some of these flights may go on sale soon... Dubai in particular is one of our favorite places to travel.
1Dx2|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:00:30 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this effectively eliminates the (American) enthusiast photographer from going to visit these places now, correct?

I mean, if pros have work, they'll find a way.  They'll rent gear on site or go through the trouble of checking gear in pelican cases or something. 

But a vacationer with a carry-on full of gear it hosed by this, are they not?  For someone who's already booked to go, I suppose they could ship in advance (ouch), rent on site (painful) or buy some hard cases just to make the trip work (ouch). 

+1 to Neuro.  Glad I'm not headed to any of those places this year...

- A
Like Like x 1 View List

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Of course, the whole thing is BS. The toughest security I've ever had to go through was in Dubai and other sane countries have no such restrictions. On the positive side, some of these flights may go on sale soon... Dubai in particular is one of our favorite places to travel.

Curious to see how the US administration sells this.  As islamophobic travel policies are being shot down in court here, I'm wondering the technical grounds with which the administration is justifying this.  They could legitimately argue some countries lack the proper screening to find some of these items in bags, but how that list is solely those countries is beyond me.

Ugh, from CNN:  "The U.S. is especially concerned about the 10 airports in question, the official said, because of screening issues and the possibility of terrorists infiltrating authorized airport personnel."

That's a terrifying thought, of course, but a lot more is in danger than carry ons if that should ever come to pass.

- A

BeenThere

• EOS M3
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
Pack a point & shoot camera and fly safe. Not that many affected flights currently, but the ban could spread to more flights if hard intel finds evidence of camera bombs being manufactured. Rent locally and bring home the memory card if it's important to you.

LDS

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
buy some hard cases just to make the trip work (ouch). 

Depends on what the TSA thinks of your locked down hard cases, when they arrive.

If you use TSA locks, it's useless, the keys are now in the "public domain" - any thief will have a copy.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
According to BBC

The nine airlines affected are:
Royal Jordanian
Egypt Air
Turkish Airlines
Saudi Arabian Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Qatar Airways
Emirates
Etihad Airways

The countries:
Morocco
Turkey
Egypt
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Qatar
United Arab Emirates

The reason:

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said extremists were seeking "innovative methods" to bring down jets.
Bombs could be hidden in laptops, tablets, cameras, DVD players and electronic games, it said.

It is a bull---- ban built on all the other bull---- bans, just politicized nonsense. I have personally flown 5 of the airlines and whilst I wouldn't vouch for some (Egypt Air) to include Jordan is farcical, they have the strictest boarding searches that involve multiple people I have seen short of El Al. Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad Airways are all top notch airlines that put the likes of AA, Delta etc to shame.

Meanwhile you can breeze through US security with almost anything! http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »

LDS

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
Ugh, from CNN:  "The U.S. is especially concerned about the 10 airports in question, the official said, because of screening issues and the possibility of terrorists infiltrating authorized airport personnel."

Given they can't screen thieves or other criminals (i.e. drugs trafficking) in authorized airport personnel worldwide (and even in some flying crews), that ban should extend worldwide as well, including US airports.

When you also pay pennies to such workers, to maximize revenues, it's also difficult to get better ones.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
Trump is starting a big fire with pretty much anything he touches.

It will probably get thrown out of court again.

One would think, but targeting the airport rather than the passengers gives the US administration a little cover here.  It implies they could play the 'we have late-breaking intel' card, there's a safety infrastructure issue at play, etc. 

Further, since people are not directly targeted here, this sort of ruling isn't going to unleash the American civil rights legal forces like the two prior attempted bans did.  The various airports and airlines that frequent them have the most to lose here, and I'm going to wager they have less legal clout than the ACLUs and various rights/liberties groups out there.

I'm not down with this one bit, of course, but don't say the Borg isn't learning here.  If a ban on religion won't work, band entire countries from coming here.  If banning entire countries won't work, ban certain airports in those countries, etc.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »