April 23, 2018, 11:47:58 PM

Author Topic: Canon must hurry up on FF mirrorless, Sony's new A9 is killer  (Read 97668 times)

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
Re: Canon must hurry up on FF mirrorless, Sony's new A9 is killer
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »
And when it's all said and done, the higher the FPS the more time wasted weeding.  I try to restrain my trigger finger.  As mentioned the speed of AF just doesn't presently cut it so what good is higher speed if the focus can't adapt when there is serious movement.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »

davidhfe

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
And when it's all said and done, the higher the FPS the more time wasted weeding.  I try to restrain my trigger finger.  As mentioned the speed of AF just doesn't presently cut it so what good is higher speed if the focus can't adapt when there is serious movement.

Jack

Storage space aside (since we're doing a bit of handwaving here), weeding wouldn't have to be a huge issue. The iPhone does a great job of stacking bursts; you can easily go in and select which one photo out of the burst is the keeper.

Jack Douglas

« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »

Jack

Storage space aside (since we're doing a bit of handwaving here), weeding wouldn't have to be a huge issue. The iPhone does a great job of stacking bursts; you can easily go in and select which one photo out of the burst is the keeper.

Any suggestion for my situation?

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

XL+

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
Here is what you're missing.  Wildlife often moves and acts with extreme speed and one may be quite unaware of what one is missing.  There is a lot that goes on in 50 or 20 ms.  If you've never seen it then presumably you don't care but it is an eye-opener for me.  Here is and example of 14 FPS giving me the tongue lick.  What tends to happen is that you see or sense something is about to happen and nail maybe 4 to 6 shots and of course hope.

Jack

Not only more fps are needed, but also an faster AF system. I know, everyone will bash me, but the AF accuracy in moving subjects is not top.
Shooting BIF at an "airshow" where the birds do fly from one stand to another caused a lot of shots that were out of focus with the 5DIV, lesser with my 7DII and also more lesser with the XT-2. Shot with the 100-400 from both companies. The AF system of the XT-2 ist superfast and creats a lot more sharp shots than my Canon gear.  MLS cams maybe have an advantage over our SLRs, as there are no moving parts.
So, our favourtite brand would do best, if they react on the coming threats (A99II,7RIII), so the leading position on the market would not be lost.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:27:32 PM by XL+ »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
Not only more fps are needed, but also an faster AF system. I know, everyone will bash me, but the AF accuracy in moving subjects is not top.
Shooting BIF at an "airshow" where the birds do fly from one stand to another caused a lot of shots that were out of focus with the 5DIV, lesser with my 7DII and also more lesser with the XT-2. Shot with the 100-400 from both companies. The AF system of the XT-2 ist superfast and creats a lot more sharp shots than my Canon gear.  MLS cams maybe have an advantage over our SLRs, as there are no moving parts.

Ah yes, that would explain all the Fuji X rigs being used on the sidelines at sporting events.   :P

- A

hmatthes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 6D, SL1, 35/1.4, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8
    • Matthes Images Website
Re: Canon must hurry up on FF mirrorless, Regardless of Sony's new A9
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
I've been shooting Canon EOS almost exclusively since 1988.  My 1988 vintage 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 just went to my grandson's kit for a birthday gift.  I love using his SL/1 and his images are fantastic.

Let's cut to the chase:  A camera is a recorder of light and IQ is everything.  It exists to use our glass.

Mirrorless?
Hell Yes I Want One -- IF:
It natively uses my EF glass
It has the 5D-4 user interface
the EVF equals (exceeds?) the Leica SL or Q
Exp Comp is instantly reflected on both EVF and Live View

My Leica Q reawakened my art.  EVF to my eye, simple, logical controls that are right under my fingers,
I can see/adjust/compose in real-time and capture exactly what I feel.

Even though Aperature/Shutter/ExpComp/ISO are easy to control, my EOS bodies seem awkward in comparison to the Q.  But my glass collection is timeless perfection -- more costly than cameras.

Leave Canon for another system - Never.
Use my EF glass on a EOS mirrorless 5D/6D - Nirvana!

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »
Let's cut to the chase:  A camera is a recorder of light and IQ is everything.

Respectfully:

1) Go tell a birder (or even a guy chasing his kids in the backyard) that 'IQ is everything' when the camera's AF misses the shot. 

2) Go tell a photojourno that 'IQ is everything' as he fumbles through a camera's awkward controls/interface to get the setting he wants only to end up missing the shot.

3) Go tell a wedding photographer that 'IQ is everything' while his older DSLR shutter sounds like a percussion instrument while the ceremony is happening.

4) Go tell a mother or father shooting their kid's first steps that 'IQ is everything' when their memory card dies and there is no backup due to their camera having a single card slot.

I could do this all day. 

We don't all shoot with NASA toleranced manual glass on a bellows large format rig because -- perhaps -- there are realities other than IQ and some folks really care about those realities.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »

Jack Douglas

« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »

Respectfully:

1) Go tell a birder (or even a guy chasing his kids in the backyard) that 'IQ is everything' when the camera's AF misses the shot. 

2) Go tell a photojourno that 'IQ is everything' as he fumbles through a camera's awkward controls/interface to get the setting he wants only to end up missing the shot.

3) Go tell a wedding photographer that 'IQ is everything' while his older DSLR shutter sounds like a percussion instrument while the ceremony is happening.

4) Go tell a mother or father shooting their kid's first steps that 'IQ is everything' when their memory card dies and there is no backup due to their camera having a single card slot.

I could do this all day. 

We don't all shoot with NASA toleranced manual glass on a bellows large format rig because -- perhaps -- there are realities other than IQ and some folks really care about those realities.

- A

Fair enough but when my resulting IQ is less than my finicky nature tolerates, it's in the bin; meaning I have nothing.  I'm sure you agree we need it all.

Jack

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »
Fair enough but when my resulting IQ is less than my finicky nature tolerates, it's in the bin; meaning I have nothing.  I'm sure you agree we need it all.

Jack

Sure.  We each have our own chain of priorities, and they are based on what we think we need to get the output we need. 

But I think very few of us, if any, are truly 'one issue voters' when it comes to buying gear.  Everything is a trade off, and we count on many more of a camera's features that we might prioritize in an internet forum.   :D

- A

Jack Douglas

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »

Jack

Sure.  We each have our own chain of priorities, and they are based on what we think we need to get the output we need. 

But I think very few of us, if any, are truly 'one issue voters' when it comes to buying gear.  Everything is a trade off, and we count on many more of a camera's features that we might prioritize in an internet forum.   :D

- A

Of course, and the biggest personal trade off so far in my DSLR existence has been giving up 30 MP to have 1 series 20 MP performance.  That stung.  Of course, I want just one camera to do as much as possible for portability reasons.

Jack

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »
Of course, and the biggest personal trade off so far in my DSLR existence has been giving up 30 MP to have 1 series 20 MP performance.  That stung.  Of course, I want just one camera to do as much as possible for portability reasons.

Jack

Curious to see if this announcement, presumably to be followed with a slower fps A9R @ 50+ MP (the rumor is 72 MP, I believe) will put any wind in the sails of a 1Ds3 successor, i.e. dropping either the current or next-gen 5DS R sensor into a 1D body.

Presently, the 1Ds3 camp has to choose between the 1-series goodies they love OR a high res sensor.  They presently cannot get both in the same rig.

- A

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »

Jack

- A
As we move through our day, priorities shift. In the morning it can be low light performance that is all important, in the afternoon it can be ease of use in confined spaces, in the evening it can be AF tracking, and at night it can be all about the system flash.... Personally, I find that lens choice is more important than camera choice, but in the end it all has to work together as a system, and to me, that is the strength of shooting Canon.

As to the earlier 20FPS, I would rarely use it, but when I do, 20 isn't enough and for those times I would gladly accept sorting through way too many frames to find the right one.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jack Douglas

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »
Won't get arguments from me Don.  Glass is #1 and Canon is #1 in quantity and quality combined.  The cameras obsolete so quickly.  4K @60 p could be useful except for AF issues in our situations.  I have yet to try it.

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »

Jack

Amen. I use to own a lowly 70D that could only do 7 fps. I recall one morning going out with a wildlife buddy and we shot some deer. It was a lot of fun and even though there was a lot of poor light and color in the middle of winter in the woods I came away with some pretty okay shots.

However, the pain I had to go through just deleting photos out of light room was tedious. Just far too many of the "same shot" but you have to go through them and find the "best one" and delete the others.

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

Respectfully:

I could do this all day. 

- A

Easy there, the point is valid, but the hyperbole is getting strong with this post. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »