April 24, 2018, 01:30:36 AM

Author Topic: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming  (Read 87555 times)

Cory

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Cory Steiner Photography
Re: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'm gonna do it (the current 6D).  Seems like a full frame T1i which was my first camera and did really well with it.

8)
6D, 16-35 4.0 IS, 40, 135 2.0
430EXII, Induro AT113/Sirui K-20x, Sirui T-025x
www.runningphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'm gonna do it (the current 6D).  Seems like a full frame T1i which was my first camera and did really well with it.

8)

The 6D1 has a fine sensor, but be advised two things if you are moving from the 70D to the 6D1:

1) The 6D1 AF is precise but simple/limited -- IMHO, it's the #1 thing they nerfed from threatening the 5D3's sales.  If you need to work off-center with a large aperture lens, you will probably feel handcuffed by the AF points you do not have.  And I would not recommend it for tracking anything moving in unpredictable ways.   

2) Leaving the 70D, you will lose the trifecta of DPAF + touchscreen + tilty-flippy.  If you shoot video stills in LiveView and need to rely on the AF when you do that, this will be a considerable downgrade for you.

The 6D1 is a fine camera, but understand that the CR guy and most conventional wisdom would believe that the 6D2 will address those two points above in a resounding manner.  So be advised that if you ever get buyers' remorse and if you care about the two items above, you might want to wait for the 6D2 and pay the extra money.  Your call.

- A

HarryFilm

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
Actually, I can inform Canon Rumors fans that something
REALLY REALLY HUMONGOUS is coming from Canon in 2018
and I think I can get access to the proof within two weeks!

Elsewhere in these forums is a discussion on a Large Sensor size
Medium-Format Canon Mirrorless camera that has been SPECIFICALLY
DISPLAYED TO ME via a hard-copy printed photo shown to me via a Skype
call from a Germany/Netherlands-based enthusiast camera group who have
several engineering-oriented members, that while I am NOT personally affiliated
with AND NOT FRIENDS WITH on a personal level, I can disclose that said group
seems to have enough PROFESSIONAL credentials that I am confident that the
photo and accompanying specifications SEEM to be VERY REAL TO ME.

What has been shown to me is an oversize Canon 1Dx Mk2 style body with
what looks like an aperture opening that looks very much in size to the
opening of an Arri Alexa-65 Cinema Camera. (Note: I guestimated the size
of the camera as it sat upon a what I believe is a typical A4 paper size
used in Europe which is 210 x 297mm or about 8.3 inches by 11.7 inches)

It's pretty simple math to do AND even from the Skype-Call photo,
I can still deduce it's size as being LARGER THAN the 1dxMk2. From there
it's also easy math to figure out the lens opening size to be ABOUT 70mm
which is actually LARGER than the Arri Alexa 65's 64 mm diameter.
The lens displayed to me SEEMED to be an 85mm Prime lens that
was SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER than the current 85mm L-series
Canon prime lens!

AND I received OTHER documentation which specifies this is going
to be a 8192 by 6036 pixel camera (about 48 megapixels!) at
16-bits per colour channel (48 bit colour). It has ALSO been
specified to me that NEW compression algorithms will be
embedded into the camera which will be the wavelet-based
4:4:4 JPEG-2000 48-bit colour format for stills and 4:4:4 Motion-Wavelet
INTRAFRAME and H.265 4:2:2 INTERFRAME CODECs at 48 bit
colour for the high-bandwidth video portions which will BOTH
be 4k DCI format (4096x2160) scaled down from the FULL
sensor size! THIS IS AMAZING IF TRUE !!!

For stills, I have been told it will be a 25 FPS (YES! 25 fps!!!)
full sensor-size burst shooting rate onto built-in (but still
user-changeable) SSD Hard drives.

I have cleared up recent confusion as to the amount of memory
needed to hold such an enormous data rate for that many RAW
size photos at 25 fps for 3 seconds! While there are CFAST style
card ports in evidence, it SEEMS the PRIMARY storage mediums
are to be MULTIPLE SATA-based SSD hard Disks embedded into
the lower portion of the camera grip and base assembly.
I AM GOING TO ASSUME based upon the text i have received
that some sort of INTERLEAVED frame writing will occur where
Frame 1 will goto disk1 and frame 2 to disk 2, etc. to allow
keep-up with the MASSIVE DATA RATE needed to keep a
25 fps burst shooting rate!

The group I have been speaking with are ABSOLUTELY ADAMANT
that the burst still photo shooting rate is 25 FPS Mirrorless with
NO MECHANICAL SHUTTER BEING PRESENT AT ALL on said
upcoming Canon Medium Format camera at 48+ megapixels!

I have been told the video files will be 4k DCI at up to
50/60 fps with 100/120 fps 4k options POSSIBLY coming by
the said sales date of very late 2018/early 2019.

A SECOND camera that has a 120 megapixel sensor
for portraiture and landscape using the SAME sensor
size and body-style will be introduced at the same time
with a burst shooting rate of 7-to-10 fps!

AND...it seems these camera(s) have been seen
IN THE WILD as near-production ready working prototypes!

I PERSONALLY have not held the actual systems described
BUT due to the PHOTOS i have seen personally, I will give
said enthusiast camera group the benefit of the doubt!

I am ALSO saying that said group SEEMS to have video
imagery and OTHER PROOF that such a camera exists
and they have ACCESS to such material which they
are willing to share with me within one to two weeks!

And FINALLY the camera group is ADAMANT the initial
introductory pricing will be from 12 000 to 16 000 Euros
which is more than TWICE the 1Dx Mk2 price BUT much
cheaper than any 50 megapixel Phase One or Leica or
Hasselblad medium format camera!

If the 25 fps burst frame rate is TRUE then it seems
the recent Sony A9 introduction is to be NEGATED by Canon,
especially when the frame size will be almost 50 megapixels!
And with such a large sensor size the photos sites will STILL be
over 6 microns (6.82 which is what I have been told) which means
colour rendition and ISO sensitivity is going to be FANTASTIC!

I have ALSO cleared up confusion where this series of cameras
IS TO BE IN ADDITION to the current 1Dx mk2 series which will
STAY WITH the current sensor sizes. The 65mm/70mm MF
48 megapixel sensor size SEEMS to be targeted to very very
high end sports/action photographers!

I will keep asked for the group to SEND ME MORE PROOF,
so wish me LUCK in getting it here faster for all you Canon fans!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:06:29 PM by HarryFilm »

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
Those waiting for a 6D2 will be disappointed. Get the 5D4 or just jump ship to Sony. Why wait for a let down.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha...  :o :o

The worst picture ever is the one not taken: so shoot, shoot, shoot! Know your equipment first however to avoid as much as possible, bad photos. ;-)

Shooting with a Canon 40D & 7D, w/70-200mm f2.8L IS I, EF 24-85mm f4.0-5.6USM, Vivitar Series I 400mm f5.6 Olympus mount w/Fotodiox converter.

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »

The Canon 5D MKIII was announced on 2nd March 2012, the 6D was announced on 17th September 2012 that's roughly 7.5 months apart.

The Canon 5D MKIV was announced 25th August 2017 if the same logic had applied that would have put the 6D MKII in the first weeks of April but instead were still waiting.

The 6D at Wex Photographic is £ 1,274 body only, the 5D MKIV is holding its launch price at £ 3,499 that's a whopping £ 2,225 difference is it really worth 2.8 times more for the 5D MKIV? Or looking at it another way Canon could be launching the 6D MKII at a significant price increase over the 6D. The 6D launched at £ 2,100 / $ 2,100 in 2012 so expect it to be north of that figure but it better well have improved in every area to justify the increase.

Canon you've a huge price gap at least in Europe / UK.  The 5D line expanded, the Rebel line expanded just below the 80D why not the 6D line, or maybe that's why we have a delay because its not one model but two!

Yes! A 6D Mk II and a 6Ds [Mk I]...?
The worst picture ever is the one not taken: so shoot, shoot, shoot! Know your equipment first however to avoid as much as possible, bad photos. ;-)

Shooting with a Canon 40D & 7D, w/70-200mm f2.8L IS I, EF 24-85mm f4.0-5.6USM, Vivitar Series I 400mm f5.6 Olympus mount w/Fotodiox converter.

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
Well, if anyone is curious, I did sell my 6D. Took only a few days and I sold it for 100 bucks less than what I bought it for in 2015. So $100 to "rent" a camera for 25 months? Not too bad. My point being, the demand for the 6D seems to be quite high and I think Canon knows their market well enough that I expect a 6D2 is coming this year. In fact, I agree with those who think it might be slightly delayed as they finish things up. My guess is that ideally they would have wanted to have released it this spring, just in time for the summer season (in most of the populated world).

In any case, You can announce/release the 6D mark II any time now Canon! Pleeeeease, I need FF camera now.  ;)

I peg the announcement for early to mid-June! You all heard it hear first!!!  8)

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
Interestingly, other rumor pages - whose name is ***** .**** here - rumor, that there will be NO 6DII, but an MLS coming.

Those sites are 99% likely wrong.  All conventional wisdom says a 6D2 with a mirror and all is a 'this year' product.

FF mirrorless is certainly on the horizon for Canon, but surely it will not be within +/- 3 months of the 6D2 announcement.  Canon prefers to give its FF launches an exclusive spotlight for a period of time.

- A

WHEN Canon announces their Mirrorless entry finally it will be a Medium Format 120 mega-pixel monster announced with 4 new lenses at launch. Body will be similar shape to 1DX Mk II but slightly larger with a price tag of $5,499USD at launch for body only... :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:01 PM »

8)
The T1i was not full frame.
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 17x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR.

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »

8)

Ah, yes, that'd be why he added that adjective.  You know, to define the way in which is was different from a T1i, while also being similar.

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »

8)

You might want to read the person's remarks more carefully before answering with a smart-ass remark.  You might just end up looking like a fool.

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:17 PM »
Well, if anyone is curious, I did sell my 6D. Took only a few days and I sold it for 100 bucks less than what I bought it for in 2015. So $100 to "rent" a camera for 25 months? Not too bad.
I'm always very suspicious of such claims. I call B.S. ::)

I'm a big believer in personal integrity. So therefore I don't appreciate being called a liar.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=25258.msg499737#msg499737

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2017, 10:10:34 PM »

8)

The 6D1 has a fine sensor, but be advised two things if you are moving from the 70D to the 6D1:

1) The 6D1 AF is precise but simple/limited -- IMHO, it's the #1 thing they nerfed from threatening the 5D3's sales.  If you need to work off-center with a large aperture lens, you will probably feel handcuffed by the AF points you do not have.  And I would not recommend it for tracking anything moving in unpredictable ways.   

2) Leaving the 70D, you will lose the trifecta of DPAF + touchscreen + tilty-flippy.  If you shoot video stills in LiveView and need to rely on the AF when you do that, this will be a considerable downgrade for you.

The 6D1 is a fine camera, but understand that the CR guy and most conventional wisdom would believe that the 6D2 will address those two points above in a resounding manner.  So be advised that if you ever get buyers' remorse and if you care about the two items above, you might want to wait for the 6D2 and pay the extra money.  Your call.

- A

Good, fair points!

Point #2, while valid isn't all that applicable as I feel anyone who is serious about video isn't buying a 6D. Heck, anyone doing vlog or anything near that level will invest in a dedicated camera, a 2nd (or 3rd) body for shooting video. If you're buying a 6D you're buying it to shoot stills.

Point #1, Bingo! All the other limitations of the 6D are just minor annoyances or specmanship type stuff (1/4000 vs 1/8000) that don't really show up in real world use. But the AF points/spread is definitely the camera's biggest weakness, especially being all outer points are single cross. I'd disagree with you (respectfully of course) a bit on the tracking piece. Tracking with the center point is, "I'd say strong... to quite strong". ;) Of course this is the only point I'd ever recommend tracking with and can therefore limit one's composition a "tiny" bit.

Obviously we all have different needs, but the lack of focal points is the crutch of this camera in my opinion. Sure more features (DPAF, touch screen) and better specs (FPS, max shutter, max flash sync) will/would be great, but the AF is the big one and all the others are just icing on the cake.

canonographer

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »
There is absolutely no reason for a 6D II.  What can a 6D II DSLR do better than  a new enthusiast oriented FF mirrorless?

OVF?  You may like looking through actual glass.  That's fine, but you're missing out on so much more by making that choice.  More and more people are trying out EVFs and realizing how much they add to the shooting experience, and as Sony has shown, it can be done without any of the drawbacks we've seen in the past.

Battery?  Again, see the Sony A9.  It may be rated at a lower shutter count than the 6D, but every review shows people getting well over 1,000 shots on a single charge.  And that's on a body that is constrained to a small grip.  Imagine what could be done with a normal sized grip.

Speed?  Do you not think Canon can squeeze 6-8 fps out of a FF mirrorless when Sony can hit 20?

Lenses?  Give us a well integrated adapter for EF lenses.  Problem solved.

Given all the benefits to losing the mirror and perceived drawbacks evaporating like a fart in the wind, why on earth would Canon ever make an enthusiast oriented FF DSLR again?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »
There is absolutely no reason for a 6D II.  What can a 6D II DSLR do better than  a new enthusiast oriented FF mirrorless?

If the weight of the 6DII can be reduced significantly, it may have wider appeal.

OVF?  You may like looking through actual glass.  That's fine, but you're missing out on so much more by making that choice.  More and more people are trying out EVFs and realizing how much they add to the shooting experience, and as Sony has shown, it can be done without any of the drawbacks we've seen in the past.

But (i) Sony has only shown this on A9 which requires many other advanced components; the latter raise the price of the camera significantly (ii) it is possible to overlay info on OVF.

Do you think Sony will trickle down their A9 EVF (and other relevant technology) into lower end cameras without raising their prices?

Battery?  Again, see the Sony A9.  It may be rated at a lower shutter count than the 6D, but every review shows people getting well over 1,000 shots on a single charge.  And that's on a body that is constrained to a small grip.  Imagine what could be done with a normal sized grip.

Not a biggie.

Speed?  Do you not think Canon can squeeze 6-8 fps out of a FF mirrorless when Sony can hit 20?

Not important to folks who are more conscientious about price than speed.

Lenses?  Give us a well integrated adapter for EF lenses.  Problem solved.
Hmmm... as many people have attested, adapters are still quirky and unreliable.

Given all the benefits to losing the mirror and perceived drawbacks evaporating like a fart in the wind, why on earth would Canon ever make an enthusiast oriented FF DSLR again?

Depends on which sells better at the end of the day. Keep in mind Canon has about 48% of the interchangeable lens camera market.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:13:12 AM by Woody »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 03:18:02 AM »
Actually, I can inform Canon Rumors fans that something
REALLY REALLY HUMONGOUS is coming from Canon in 2018
and I think I can get access to the proof within two weeks!

So from announcement after NAB it is '..something in 2018....'? If the camera is due for release in 2018 I cannot see it being announced before start of Q4 2017.
This new behemoth will be larger than the 1DxII with onboard SSD, with a 70mm throat at a cost of >12,000 Euros? And you say that it will negate the A9???? (and for god measure, I will add another couple of ??) What lenses is it going to use?
So it seems that this wunder-lens is actually a totally new product line, with the price suggesting more in line with pro documentary photographer/video, than rather than a true DSLR alternative. And that is quite a different picture than you painted with your first 'announcement'.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 03:18:02 AM »