December 15, 2017, 01:05:12 PM

Author Topic: A very good idea???  (Read 6334 times)

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
Re: A very good idea???
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
Reading this thread I had a brilliant idea!

What if you took a mirror less camera gave it a more robust weather sealed body. Made the body larger so you could have decent higher voltage batteries.  Eliminate the limitations of EVF viewfinders by putting an optical one on it with TTL viewing - oh dear that is a DSLR!

Perhaps I am missing something?

Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
Maybe the biggest challenge for Canon and Nikon in the implementation of mirrorless cameras is their lens lineup. Sure they don't want to spoil their EF customers and the customers don't want to give up their lenses.
On the other hand the, advantages of mirrorless will become more and more obvious.
Live histogram in the EVF, really(!) silent shutter (which would have been so useful to me in several occasions), higher fps (because no flapping mirror)  ...
At some time also dslr users would like to have those features. So combining the two camera types is a logical step. At least for me.

Why would anyone think Canon going mirrorless means EF lenses would have to be given up? Just because they don't work on current mirrorless without adaptors doesn't mean a Canon mirrorless would be designed in such a way that EF lenses become useless or even need an adaptor.
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »

What if you took a mirror less camera gave it a more robust weather sealed body. Made the body larger so you could have decent higher voltage batteries.  Eliminate the limitations of EVF viewfinders by putting an optical one on it with TTL viewing - oh dear that is a DSLR!

LOL, good point.  I love my M5, its a terrific little camera, but the ergonomics of shooting with a DSLR are just so much better due to its larger size (fits my hands), convenient controls and OVF that is just better than the current generation of EVF's.
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II
M5, M series lenses: Rokinon 12mm f/2, EF-M 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »

LOL, good point.  I love my M5, its a terrific little camera, but the ergonomics of shooting with a DSLR are just so much better due to its larger size (fits my hands), convenient controls and OVF that is just better than the current generation of EVF's.

That was my thinking!
Mirrorless cameras give up nothing in IQ but are lacking in other departments. so it is horses for courses.

For me a mirrorless camera is useful for one or two weeks of the year, whilst a DSLR is useful for all of the year - though not the ideal choice for holidays!

Mirrorless will get better and more useful but they will have to get decent batteries and much better viewfinders before the can compete. The Sony A9 looks interesting here but no lenses that are of any real use for me!

There is a way to go - but they might get there?
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
Some of the big issues, EVFs are not up to pro standards, AF speed and tracking are not up to pro standards, battery life of mirrorless cameras is poor.

All of these things are being improved, but many do not want EVF, no matter what.

To me, it seems more likely that a hybrid camera will come out with OVF which can have a EVF image overlaid when the camera is in mirrorless  or live view mode  The ability to do either may make the camera appeal to more, and allow switching to mirror and phase detect AF when high performance is needed..

The US camera culture favors large camera bodies, many buyers purchase a DSLR over mirrorless because the large DSLR looks more professional to them.  That's a well established fact.  Things can change though, but, for now, mirrorless cameras are regarded as over priced point and shoot cameras.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
The US camera culture favors large camera bodies, many buyers purchase a DSLR over mirrorless because the large DSLR looks more professional to them.  That's a well established fact.  Things can change though, but, for now, mirrorless cameras are regarded as over priced point and shoot cameras.

Which, it seems to me, is exactly why we will have the choice of both mirrorless and DSLRs for quite a while to come - and why some mirrorless cameras will probably keep the basic form factor and flange distance of the current DSLRs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »