July 29, 2014, 07:03:45 PM

Author Topic: Design Your Own Canon Body  (Read 22510 times)

Joaaso

Re: Design Your Own Canon Body
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
I'd take the 5D2 sensor, crop it down to APS-C size, giving approx.13MP, then I'd put it in the 60D body, removed all the stupid modes on the program wheel and put in C2 and C3 instead and also given it AF-microadjust...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »

scalesusa

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 09:12:06 PM »
If you crop the 5D MK II to APS-C size, you have a 30D, 8MP.  If you crop it to APS-H, then you have about 12.4 MP.

Lots of people think that the 5D MK II has a high pixel density, but it is the same as the 20D / 30d.

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »
My 700D wishlist:
rebel size Mg body
~12MP FF
19 AF points
7+ fps
jogdial + joystick
no scene modes
additional monochrome lcd

cr-guy postet my photoshopped 500D before, so some of you might know... :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:34:09 AM by Jan »

Joaaso

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
If you crop the 5D MK II to APS-C size, you have a 30D, 8MP.  If you crop it to APS-H, then you have about 12.4 MP.

Lots of people think that the 5D MK II has a high pixel density, but it is the same as the 20D / 30d.
you're right, I mixed up the numbers.. anyway, you see where I'm going; I want a crop camera with an actual noticeable improvement in ISO-performance over the current models and not just more MP..

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
you're right, I mixed up the numbers.. anyway, you see where I'm going; I want a crop camera with an actual noticeable improvement in ISO-performance over the current models and not just more MP..
ISO-perfomance wouldn't increase much (on equal output size). Dynamic range would increase...

Joaaso

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
ISO-perfomance wouldn't increase much (on equal output size). Dynamic range would increase...
output-size performance doesnt matter much too me, I prefer having the increased iso-performance as an actual improvement at 100% viewing, rather than to waste it on increasing the amount of MP.. and it is pretty clear that the 5D's iso-performance is noticeably better than the 7D-generation-sensor -somewhere around 1 stop better, so I'd like to have a crop sensor on that same level..

NotABunny

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
I prefer having the increased iso-performance as an actual improvement at 100% viewing, rather than to waste it on increasing the amount of MP

If you don't want to store that many megapixels, you can use pixel binning (sRAW, mRAW); then you get the same noise level per pixel (as if you were shooting with a sensor of that low resolution).

it is pretty clear that the 5D's iso-performance is noticeably better than the 7D-generation-sensor -somewhere around 1 stop better, so I'd like to have a crop sensor on that same level

If they can do that with a crop sensor, they can do the same with a full frame, so you would still get the same difference in noise level per image (because of the bigger sensor).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »

Joaaso

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
well I mainly want better ISO to be able to push handholding a step further (I live far north, not much light here these days, so my shutterspeeds are on the limit all the time) + I often need max dof for studio work, where diffraction starts to become quite visible.. but if you can prove that going to mRaw allows me to comfortably up my ISO say 1 stop without sacrificing anything compared to an equally low res sensor, then...ok, maybe i'll reconsider my future investments..:P I (obviously) dont know exactly what mRaw/sRaw does, but from what I've read so far, it seems like going via a high res sensor and then mRaw to get better iso-performance, is kinda like going around the river to get water -at best (if you have that expression in english:P)

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
My 700D wishlist:
monochrome lcd

Why would a monochrome LCD be beneficial?  I understand the exposure value would be easy to determine based on a monochrome, but your WB could be totally jacked up.  I don't think there is a cost benefit to manufacturing monochrome displays anymore, it might actually be more expensive than a 65K color display.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

scalesusa

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
My 700D wishlist:
monochrome lcd

Why would a monochrome LCD be beneficial?  I understand the exposure value would be easy to determine based on a monochrome, but your WB could be totally jacked up.  I don't think there is a cost benefit to manufacturing monochrome displays anymore, it might actually be more expensive than a 65K color display.

+1

Putting something like that on a expensive new camera model would make it a sure failure and lose millions for a company.

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:03 AM »
My 700D wishlist:
monochrome lcd

+1

Putting something like that on a expensive new camera model would make it a sure failure and lose millions for a company.
Hum, scaleusa? Did I find some irony in there?

Kyle, I like a monochrome display like on 60D, 7D, etc, because they save energy. When you're traveling without electricity around this is very beneficial. I don't care about WB because I'm using RAW.

EDIT: I mean an additional monochrome LCD. ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:35:19 AM by Jan »

NotABunny

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
if you can prove that going to mRaw allows me to comfortably up my ISO say 1 stop without sacrificing anything compared to an equally low res sensor, then...ok

See http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,255.msg3911.html#msg3911 ; sensor resolution has nothing to do with noise per image (or per subject, if the relative magnification in the image is kept - which is the norm), in the current technological context.

(additional) monochrome LCD

The reason why those LCDs save energy is because the have no backlight.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:21:15 AM by NotABunny »

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »
Hum, scaleusa? Did I find some irony in there?

Kyle, I like a monochrome display like on 60D, 7D, etc, because they save energy. When you're traveling without electricity around this is very beneficial. I don't care about WB because I'm using RAW.

EDIT: I mean an additional monochrome LCD. ;)
Ah, I see.  You're talking about the top LCD.  Here I was thinking you were talking about the rear LCD.  I can't see Canon ever stripping that from cameras above the Rebel series, so I think your wish will be granted.  Although they have surprized people before (see plastic 60D).  Personally, I like the handling of the 60D (I don't owe one, but have played with them multiple times when I frequent Micro Center).  The 7D is too big and heavy in my opinion for my use.  The Rebel series is a bit on the small side in my hand (although I do love my Rebel XT).  The 60D combines the advantages of the 'professional' button layout up top with the medium size of its ancestors (40D, 50D, et al), and the light weight of the Rebel series.  Perfect for someone like me, who loves photography and will never make a career out of it.

Now if I got to pick the specs for a camera I would say:
60D-like body (don't care if it has rotating screen or not)
FF sensor
15 MP
100-6400 ISO (higher ISOs reserved for the high-end cameras)
Price: $1500

That way there are still advantages to the 7D (mag body, MP, 12800 ISO, better/more AF), and this wouldn't cannibalize sales too much.  Additionally, it would cause more people to jump on the FF format and increase lens sales (more expensive FF lenses, not the cheap 18-55, 55-250, etc).  Although, you could bet that some people would grab a 75-300mm III for their tele and expect professional results.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 01:56:27 PM »
This, nothing else. Maybe a better eye-cup and more viewfinder-options, good focusing screen (I love my manual focus).

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »
The reason why those LCDs save energy is because the have no backlight.
They have, but it's not illuminated all the time like on RGB screens. And they have less pixels/segments. But maybe also an RGB-screen would consume almost no energy when backlight is off? The problem is that they are difficult to read from without backlight. :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »