August 17, 2017, 10:12:58 AM

Author Topic: Photoshopped Rodeo Pics?  (Read 1240 times)

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Photoshopped Rodeo Pics?
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
I was just reading an article about rodeo photographer Norm Betts getting clocked by a bull when he wasn't looking. There was a link to his site, so I went to take a look. Some pretty fantastic images, to be sure.

Then something caught my eye on image 64 of 134 from the "RODEO'14 at the Royal Winter Fair". Is it just me, or did someone Photoshop the horse's front legs/hooves to fit better in the frame? You can see what looks like blatant/sloppy clone-stamping in the dirt just to the left of the front legs. Maybe that's where the hooves used to be? It also looks like some cloning was done to remove something in the dirt near the hat (maybe tracks?). Even the hat looks wrong somehow.

The reason I bring this up is I'm curious about what the standard is in the sports photography world. Is it like photo-journalism where fudging the images to enhance composition or simplify a scene is a big no-no?

Thoughts?

Here's the image:

canon rumors FORUM

Photoshopped Rodeo Pics?
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Photoshopped Rodeo Pics?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »
It might be possible that the repeating pattern in the dirt on the bottom left is tire tracks from a truck or tractor, but it just looks clone-stampy to me.

A tractor really can't explain the hooves, though. :P

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »
I think he has cut in the bottom of another frame in which the hat came off. Very sloppy work.

monkey44

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Photo-shopped in some way, for certain.   Have no clue why the hooves show like that, but it definitely looks cloned, as does that dirt running side to side at the bottom, and the hat.  My wife is a horse person, and says the entire front leg looks odd, like the right shoulder muscle leg does not fit correctly either.

As far as a photo-journalist modifying a shot - that's a definite no-no ... we are never allowed to change the original images unless sometimes the clarity, sharpen, push and pull the colors to make them accurate to the field shot ... but never cloning or manipulating the actual image itself. That will most likely get a journalist fired.

There was some discussion (on here, I believe) about a Reuters war photo that was doctored - in Iran or Afghanistan as I recall it.  In the corner a portion of a camera or a light box was in the image, and the shooter cloned it out, then submitted the image.  It was discovered and he was immediately fired for it. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:47:58 PM by monkey44 »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »
It is so weird looking, I almost believe it is not Photoshoped. If you were going to photoshop it, it seems like you'd do a better job of it.

Definitely unethical if covering the event as a sports photographer. A commercial photographer hired by a client to produce a picture would have different standards.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • Poor photographer? become a printer !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »
It's a cloning error...whether intentional or not it's poor form. Often this happens when batch processing and syncing setting in LR. This can happen when you sync settings from a file that had a spot removal or replacement. and that is transferred to every image in the requested batch. If you're careless and don't look you'll miss it.

I won't be an a-hole and reproduce his work but if you copy that spot via a layer, reduce the opacity to 30% you'll be able to move that over the hoof and see it is the exact same image as the horse's front right hoof. Same thing for the hat, looks like it's a misplaced cloning over the bottom of the hat. In nature you never see an exact duplicate let alone ghost hoofs  :o
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and that blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
Thanks, all, for the replies!*

Hadn't thought about the possibility that it might have been accidentally cloned via a Lightroom sync. Perhaps he was trying to sync white balance, sharpening, etc, from one image to another and accidentally synced some spot removal from another image (and perhaps one that was not part of the professional series of images). If that's what happened, it could have been an honest error (which would make more sense than someone considering that sloppy job a finished image). It's also a good reminder to me for when I sync settings -- check to see if spot-removal is included!

Thanks again!

* Was on my honeymoon away from the interwebs for the week... :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »