December 13, 2017, 06:27:24 AM

Author Topic: What's the most resolution I could get from films like Cinestill 50 & Velvia 50?  (Read 4565 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
It depends on what you mean by resolution.

If you mean usable data a 135 format Velvia wet print doesn't compare well to a 135 format 21MP digital print, how big you are happy to go with that is up to you. I find 20"x30" acceptable but rarely will the subject matter go to 24"x36".

If you mean what unrealistic and totally irrelevant number can I scan it to, pretty high and you can spend a lot of money doing it, but all you are doing is rendering the grain, not increasing the resolution of the film image.

Film can be fun and I still have bricks of Velvia, but for anything but playing or nostalgia it is of no practical value, and this comes from a working pro who didn't 'go digital' until much later than most, but once the 1DS MkIII came out film was done for me and anybody looking for higher quality results.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
It depends on what you mean by resolution.

Getting the most from the film, without wandering into oversampling land.

If you mean usable data a 135 format Velvia wet print doesn't compare well to a 135 format 21MP digital print, how big you are happy to go with that is up to you. I find 20"x30" acceptable but rarely will the subject matter go to 24"x36".

I rarely print anywhere near 20"x30" with digital, and shoot film for fun.

canon rumors FORUM