September 21, 2017, 06:47:11 AM

Author Topic: A Canon DSLR Rumor Roundup Heading into 2018  (Read 17874 times)

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
Re: A Canon DSLR Rumor Roundup Heading into 2018
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
In the next week or so, we’ll be seeing the announcement of at least 4 lenses, an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/clarification-corrections-on-the-upcoming-new-lenses-from-canon-cr2/">EF 85mm f/1.4L IS as well as three new tilt shift lenses, a TS-50mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-90mm f/2.8L Macro and a TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro</a>. We’ll also see the EOS M100 mirrorless camera announced around the same time.</p>
<p>We have seen mentions of a new entry level  Rebel being announced, but we don’t usually hear too much about those.</p>
<p>Beyond that, we aren’t going to be seeing new Canon DSLR until early 2018. We’ve been told that there is likely going to be a “shakeup” as far as prosumer APS-C DSLRs go.

maybe canon will go mirrorless with the cheaper APS-C line, especially now that the performance is adequate. if they can robotically build the mirrorless cameras, you'd think this would be the way canon will go long term.  keep the EF mount, and the general ergonomics and shove an EVF in there and voila.  an easier to build rebel.

now that'd be a shakeup.

I think the "prosumer" xxD line would be a near ideal product to test out the waters of a mirrorless camera for Canon. And I agree, I feel DPAF has come along far enough (aka AI servo tracking) that they could give it a shot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
Interesting, somehow Sony has been growing at a steady rate while Canon seems to have stuck their head in ground disregarding Sony and other Mirrorless competition.

Mirrorless competition?  Interesting that you missed the fact that Canon went from having no mirrorless models to being #2 in global MILC sales over the past 5 years.

So any time you'd like to pull your head out of the ground and join reality, feel free.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

tomscott

• EOS 5DS R
  • Photographer & Graphic Designer
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »
To be honest, I think there are too many products in the line up and too many similar specced cameras. Its not a particularly simple line up. Naming structure has become a little odd like 750/760D 800D 77D I think these could all be amalgamated.

I would like to see a more streamlined product range in both APC, FF and mirrorless. With each having its own number designation instead of staggering with random numbers inbetween.

Entry, mid and high, 3 cameras in each sector would suffice. Maybe one or two specific cameras, Canon did change tactic from a camera to do all approach to specific niche products and unfortunately DSLRs are getting more and more niche. It did make sence and I like having separate cameras for a different approach, but with some of the competition making middle of the road cameras with high end specs I don't know how much relevance all the above models have. Granted these cameras don't deliver quite what they promote and its more for headline grabbing but its impressive what is coming out of mid range expansion like the A6000 series.

I like the idea of obvious segregation.

Crop
900D 90D 7D or this could be renamed 9D

FF
6D 5D 1D

Niche
Small crop like 200D, High mp camera like the 5DSR as a 3D.

A line up that looks a little more obvious and like Canon used to produce. I think it would make it easier to keep on a 3 year schedule.
6D MKII, 5D MKIII STOLEN, 7D MKII 70D 17-55mm F2.8 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 L 70-200mm F2.8 II L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II L 2x II 1.4X III 580EX

BillB

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
To be honest, I think there are too many products in the line up and too many similar specced cameras. Its not a particularly simple line up. Naming structure has become a little odd like 750/760D 800D 77D I think these could all be amalgamated.

I would like to see a more streamlined product range in both APC, FF and mirrorless. With each having its own number designation instead of staggering with random numbers inbetween.

Entry, mid and high, 3 cameras in each sector would suffice. Maybe one or two specific cameras, Canon did change tactic from a camera to do all approach to specific niche products and unfortunately DSLRs are getting more and more niche. It did make sence and I like having separate cameras for a different approach, but with some of the competition making middle of the road cameras with high end specs I don't know how much relevance all the above models have. Granted these cameras don't deliver quite what they promote and its more for headline grabbing but its impressive what is coming out of mid range expansion like the A6000 series.

Crop

FF
6D 5D 1D

Niche

A line up that looks a little more obvious and like Canon used to produce. I think it would make it easier to keep on a 3 year schedule.

The next cycle may well be a mix of optical viewfinder and electronic viewfinder (mirrorless) cameras, and could tend to keep the product lines somewhat scrambled.  Will the 5DS upgrade be mirrorless?  Will some of the existing OVF cameras stay in production as EVF "replacements" are introduced?  Will there be an EVF camera with the 5DIV sensor between the 6D and the 5DIV?

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
"...both the EOS 80D and EOS 7D Mark II are going to be ready for an update. Canon  cannot wait 5 years again for a sequel to the EOS 7D Mark II.
We should also see our first 4K APS-C camera from Canon in 2018. Whether it is in mirrorless or DSLR form remains to be seen."

This translates to: Canon knows it needs to add 4K to its APS-C camera line FASTER than their usual product cycle. Which should put to bed all the 4K "oh, it's not important" naysayers on this thread. Canon's awesome market research is about to prove you wrong.

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »
"...both the EOS 80D and EOS 7D Mark II are going to be ready for an update. Canon  cannot wait 5 years again for a sequel to the EOS 7D Mark II.
We should also see our first 4K APS-C camera from Canon in 2018. Whether it is in mirrorless or DSLR form remains to be seen."

This translates to: Canon knows it needs to add 4K to its APS-C camera line FASTER than their usual product cycle. Which should put to bed all the 4K "oh, it's not important" naysayers on this thread. Canon's awesome market research is about to prove you wrong.

Canon has been slow to upgrade cameras while Nikon has made a lot of incremental improvements. Somewhere in middle would be nice.  Seems like lower end cameras (Rebels, 40/50/60/...D get updated quickly while higher end cameras have a much longer cycle).  Like to see a new 7D and 5DS models soon.

willhuff.net

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
I will throw all of my money at Canon if the next 5DS has over 60mp and 14 stops of DR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »

takes a very "special" person to talk smack about a rumor that is for a year from now and may not even come to fruition.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
Will the 5DS upgrade be mirrorless? 

No, because that would be a downgrade  ;)

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
The same source says the roadmap shows a replacement for the EOS 5DS and EOS  5DS R coming in 2018 as well.
That's when I stopped reading... CR-3

not sure why.

it has to be coming soon. canon said a 120MP DSLR was in development in September of 2015.  Can't see it being anything but a 5Ds replacement.
Simply too soon. Would welcome a 120 MPIX camera any day. But Canon will want to let 5DS/R run its course. Canon FF DSLR's show progressively longer replacement cycles.

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »
Consider: the 5DS is now sitting without DPAF, touchscreen, 4K, Wifi, DPRAW or the larger base ISO DR performance of the 5D4 and 1DX2.  So you can choose highest resolution or latest-gen tech.

So there is an argument for a one-time 'schedule quickening' for the 5DS to better line it up with the 5D4 so that there is no feature envy between the 5DS and 5D# lines.

- A
5DS/R DR is close enough to 5DIV. The rest is irrelevant for many. Meanwhile the 5DS/R files remain the best not only from any Canon DSLR but any DSLR in the industry. Latest-gen tech does not challenge that.

Of course Nikon's D850 seemingly will take the lead soon - but that hardly creates a "rush" for Canon.

Talys

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »

Crop

FF
6D 5D 1D

Niche

I think that Canon should use the Model / Mark X numbering system for everything that is numbered with a "D" for pro/enthusiast gear, so, 80D Mark II, for example.   It would be so much more consistent, that way, and besides, prevent Canon from running into trouble at 99D.

For consumer models, I think they should just ditch xxxD and xxxxD, and go with incrementing numbers that start with a letter:  T8i, SL3, etc. 

Mostly, I think this because there isn't really anything wrong with a zillion SKUs for the many, many market segments.  It helps Canon and retailers "differentiate" essentially the same product, the same way that mattress manufacturers or home appliance makers do.  They can discount something and put it in Costco or Amazon and then sell the same thing, with the tiniest of differences -- or none at all, save the product badge -- and put it in Best Buy, and then something else in the camera shop.  It prevents the various retailers from having to price match, when a camera shop in a shopping center has a tough time selling at similar margins to Costco (often, they must pay a percentage to the mall).

At the enthusiast/pro level (let's just say, bodies > US$500), there could be some streamlining.  When it came out, I thought the 77D was pretty cool, but actually, I take it back -- it doesn't really have a raison d'être.  It isn't much different in price than an 80D, and is missing a lot of good stuff. 

However, looking at it long-term, maybe it's the 80D that should go.  I would be ok with 7D Mk3 having all the best features of the 7D + 80D, and in a body the size of 80D (I think this would be possible).  Price may be an issue, though.  Then 77D would be the entry-level enthusiast camera, as it hits an important price point.  My main issue with 77D is lack of pentaprism and AFMA, which drops its desirability... just tons. 

In my opinion, next 7D should have 4k video, or a version that has it, if only so that there's an APSC camera with 4k from Canon.

After that, the current lineup should be 3 FF cameras, 6D, 5D, 1D.  I think that in the next iteration, Canon should just up the megapixel count of the 5D, and get rid of 5DSR.  In the future, there would need to be numbering space for at least a FF mirrorless (4D?), and probably some new-fangled EF mount super megapixel camera.  I don't think most people really want 150megapixels, though it would be great for the computer industry to sell high powered machines to process the ginormous RAW and TIFFs that would ensue :D

Finally... Make no mistake, I'm an OVF guy.  But looking down the yellow brick road, I think that the path to success is to go mirrorless on nearly everything without pentaprism.  So, a tiny number of APSC models with an OVF, maybe just something like a T7i and 77D. 

But hell, what do I know!  :o

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:05 PM »

I'm still hoping Canon, someday, brings back APS-H. It's a long dead meme at this point, but that sure would shake up the enthusiast level market.

I'd like that. I was out shooting with my trusty 1D4 today.  I would love a similar camera with the latest AF and possibly a few more mp's.

You're in luck, Canon already produce such a camera! It's called the 1DX mark II:

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/1d-x-mark-ii/specifications/canon-eos-1dx-mkii-specification-chart.pdf
He was getting nostalgic about APS-H format, while 1DX and Mk2 are both FF cameras. Currently I think only Sigma offers APS-H based cameras. Back in the day due to FF yields, APS-H might have been prefered in order to reduce cost of cameras, I dont see why Canon/Sony/Nikon would produce a APS-H camera today when they dont seem to have yield issues.

No matter what the yields, APS-H will be lower cost, and the mirror is smaller so it could still have some sports application, and with almost every Full Frame body doing heavy cropping on 4K video maybe APS-H would be outright superior in that application.
Remember Canon is still making their 120MP prototypes in APS-H, it's a format they do still appreciate to some extent.
If Canon were to make a "cheaper" Big MP camera, then APS-H might be the ideal there too.
I do worry that if they do a 50MP APS-C body it might end up with excessively small pixels if they try to give it DPAF as well, but with APS-H they could probably pull it off while maintaining similar same IQ as the 80D.
Actually 40MP might be preferred overall because the pixels line up almost perfectly with an 8K video frame.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:05 PM »

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »
The same source says the roadmap shows a replacement for the EOS 5DS and EOS  5DS R coming in 2018 as well.
That's when I stopped reading... CR-3

not sure why.

it has to be coming soon. canon said a 120MP DSLR was in development in September of 2015.  Can't see it being anything but a 5Ds replacement.
Simply too soon. Would welcome a 120 MPIX camera any day. But Canon will want to let 5DS/R run its course. Canon FF DSLR's show progressively longer replacement cycles.

it's been "in development" for nearly 2 years now, next year will be three. doesn't take them longer than that.

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »
Remember Canon is still making their 120MP prototypes in APS-H, it's a format they do still appreciate to some extent.

they don't do that because it's the largest sensor they can do using single exposure without stitching

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »