November 24, 2017, 05:26:38 PM

Author Topic: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]  (Read 26405 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

No, the AF we already use goes through a 'semi mirrored' section of the main mirror so it would be exactly the same as it is now.

But the idea of the Pellicle is not going to happen unless they come out with a serious breakthrough in mirror technology, they are too fragile and compromised.

Thanks PBD.
Everything I read about pellicle mirrors suggest it would be a step backwards.

Now we truthfully have very impressive ISO performance any light loss really isn't the main drawback. The main issue I see is durability, Pellicle mirrors have to have the mirroring finish on the 'outside' of the glass, this makes them exceptionally sensitive and very difficult to clean.

However if Canon, who have liked the idea several times before, come up with a new type of mirroring that could be switched on and off with an electric charge and that could be within the glass for durability then I could see the tech running. Canon are committed to the EF lens standard and leveraging it is going to make a big difference for this ever talked about FF 'mirrorless'.

Well if you take the view that a FF mirrorless offers a better feature set than slr's then a new tech efficient Pellicle mirror has the potential to truthfully give you the best of both. I have a Honda with a rear view mirror that when you go into reverse has a screen in it that shows the view from a camera, you cannot see the rectangle where the screen is even on the closest inspection until you go into reverse. Imagine having the ability to get real time exposure feedback, a view with zero latency, real time overlay of any desired feature, it would be ground breaking and set the Canon system apart. Sony could never emulate or copy it because their registration distance is too short, Nikon could only come out with a pale imitation several years later that only worked with yet another series of 'F' mount lenses.

But I doubt it will happen......
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
(D)SLR with pellicle mirror combines worst of all worlds. For good reason Sony SLTs miserably failed in the market. And Canon RT was no success either.

Good cameras have neither smoke nor MIRRORS.  :)

joemonek

• Canonflex
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
UPCOMING MODEL SHOULD EOS 1V

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »
(D)SLR with pellicle mirror combines worst of all worlds. For good reason Sony SLTs miserably failed in the market. And Canon RT was no success either.

Good cameras have neither smoke nor MIRRORS.  :)

SLTs are a tradeoff, not definitively/clearly worse IMHO.  Consider: SLT technology delivered an A99-II that pumps out a staggering 42 MP x 12 fps for $3200.  I'm guessing that 12 fps would not have been possible in FF at that price point if there was a mirror involved.

So, yes, though I prefer an SLR to an SLT, but let's not conflate A99-II sales (that we can't track that well) to 'SLTs are a waste of time'.  It's just one way to skin the cat in building the marketing proposition for a camera. 

FWIW, Canon and Nikon are aware of SLT's opportunities to outperform SLR's in some metrics and have opted against them -- my guess is that the stolen light and PBD's delicate surface statements probably have something to do with it.

- A

joemonek

• Canonflex
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018. Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.</p>
<p>If we’re thinking out loud, I think these would be the obvious candidates.</p>

<ul>
<li>EOS Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.</em></li>EOS 1V
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS-1D Xs
<ul>
<li><em>A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III. </em></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<p>Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">[CR1]</a> rumor, so please treat it as such.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018. Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.</p>
<p>If we’re thinking out loud, I think these would be the obvious candidates.</p>

<ul>
<li>EOS Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.</em></li>EOS 1V
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS-1D Xs
<ul>
<li><em>A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III. </em></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR
<ul>
<li><em>A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.</em></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<p>Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">[CR1]</a> rumor, so please treat it as such.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

HINT: try using the 'Preview' function before you hit 'Post'. You can then see what your post will look like, which can be useful when you are using quotes, lists etc. As your post is right now, we have to decipher which bit is yours!  ;)

ALSO: If you are quoting 'Canon Rumors'(i.e. Admin) don't try to modify his text, as I believe it is HTML, not the same as the system you are using in 'Post Reply' and you'll end up with a total mess!

tiggy@mac.com

• EOS 80D
  • 5D4, 1DX
    • Forest Metrix
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
I read the rumor to indicate there was a new "series," not just a new camera. Taking that literally, I doubt this means anything on the low end, as we've been inundated with Canon market segmentation on that side of the market. I still don't know what the he|| a 77d is supposed to be in terms of a series reference.

The obvious problem Canon has with its lineup is that it has relatively recently released its major bodies (1dx2, 5d4, 6d2) yet these don't appear set to age well relative to all of the other cameras coming out now and in the next 3-4 years of the refresh cycle.

This means that it will need a higher-end series introduction. This will allow it to lower the prices of the 5 and 6 series, making them reasonable offerings versus the competition.

My guess: a 1 or 5 series resolution monster. That they plan on calling this a new series, suggests it would be the part of the 1 lineup, as the 5dsr refresh won't qualify as a new series.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »

AvTvM

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »
not hard to guess. only series missing in Canon's DSLR lineup is waht? Exactly: EOS 3 lineup. EOS 3R, EOS 3S R , EOS 3C, EOS Mk1., EOS 3 Mk. II, EOS 3 Mk. II, EOS 3 Mk. IC  ... and so on .. AD NAUSEAM.   ;D ;D ;D

geekpower

• EOS M5
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »
indeed, new series, not new camera....

the only big gap is between the 1d and 5d, right?  so, are we looking at a 4d line, with studio and/or cinema models?  (2d and 3d names have obvious issues due to overloading of meaning)

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Maybe medium format?

bhf3737

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »
Does a medium format Canon DSLR make sense here? We have seen other manufacturers like Fuji and Pentax targeting this already. A very high megapixel full-frame sensor has its disadvantages (e.g. diffraction, noise ceiling, etc.) and limited by the resolving power of the lens used.
In its pro line, Canon has 1D for sports, wild-life and journalism; and then 5D for events and all-rounder use. Currently there is no dedicated camera in Canon arsenal for studio work (portraiture, product, still life and even still macro and architecture photography). 5DSr is currently designated to be used in this segment. I guess Canon can make a medium-format DSLR which can have insanely high mega-pixels targeting the pro studio photographers. It can be marketed as a very high mega-pixels medium format camera. Price-wise it can be insanely expensive and will bring higher profit margin compared to 5DSr. It may have a few high resolution native lenses which will be insanely expensive, too. Nevertheless, there will be photographers who may want it, buy it and make their living with it.   

AvTvM

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
indeed, new series, not new camera....

the only big gap is between the 1d and 5d, right?  so, are we looking at a 4d line, with studio and/or cinema models?  (2d and 3d names have obvious issues due to overloading of meaning)

"4D" has even more issues in Japanes. It would be "THE DEATH CAM" ... never going to happen with Canon. LOL LOL LOL  ;D

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »
Maybe medium format?

Canon doesn't offer a new mount and then only offer a smattering of underwhelming lenses for it*.  They generally prefer to offer a platform and leverage their size to make the most of it. 

So, no, I think that'd be a bridge too far, especially with FF mirrorless possibly staring at similar 'expensive investment' terms if they, too, go with a new mount.

- A

*Besides EOS M.  Terms and conditions on your happiness with your lens mount may apply.  See internet for details.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Since we are all in wild speculation mode, I might as well throw my 5 yen worth in too.

Ages ago, Egami found a Canon patent for a SLT system. Canon wouldn't call it that, they would call it a pellicle

Pellicle set ups do pull the mirror out of any potential high framerate bottlenecks,

I keep wondering if it's possible to replace flip-up mirrors with mirrors that slide like the shutter curtain.  We know those can move across the frame in about 1/300th second.  It would have to be a bit heavier/sturdier to support a mirror, but I'd bet at least 25cents it could move 50 times per second.

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
yes, yes, yes, Canon! Extremely innovative, as always! Bring it on! More mirrorslappers! Absolutely and urgently needed!

FF mirrorless? No need. Nobody wants to buy any
Maybe some day they will.

just forget it! 10 years after Sony and 3 years after Nikon have launched theirs ... will be more than soon enough
No, you have it all wrong: it'll be just in time to be a major business success

... at least for most CR denizens
Again you have it all wrong: as soon as mirrorless can do everything a DSLR can do (battery life, low-light AF, high speed motion, etc) CR denizens will jump on it.  But not before.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »