July 17, 2018, 02:09:55 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Cloud-Based Lightroom CC  (Read 32228 times)

Memdroid

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: Adobe Announces Cloud-Based Lightroom CC
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
I have just upgraded my LR CC to LR Classic CC. Split toning is still there (from what I see it disappears if you go for the LRCC+1TB option)

But the previews - OH MY GOD IS IT QUICK!!
Sometimes these speed improvements last as long as it takes to fill a buffer, but for the moment I am one happy bunny!

Is it Photo Mechanic quick or Fast Raw quick?  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »

daphins

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
No perpetual license?

Perfect! I no longer have to consider whether I’ll continuing to do business with Adobe. I’ve migrated all my other work off their dtorrionist platform, now im free to do so with LR.

peconicgp

• Canonflex
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »
A lot to digest here.  Lightroom Queen breaks it all out.  I don't think it is all doom and gloom.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/the-future-of-lightroom

photomachine

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
I have just upgraded my LR CC to LR Classic CC. Split toning is still there (from what I see it disappears if you go for the LRCC+1TB option)

Sometimes these speed improvements last as long as it takes to fill a buffer, but for the moment I am one happy bunny!

Nope, it still takes a moment to load, but it is quite a bit more responsive. Start-up is still slow, but the previews seem to be properly GPU accelerated now. I was happy to see my GPU overlay, so first thing I did was to go to my NVIDIA Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings - Program Settings - and put the Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance for LR Classic CC. Just in case.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »

I have only used PM briefly for previewing but it is pretty close. I am getting under a second with most images, under 2 at most whereas before I would have that damned spinning wheel for 6 to 10 seconds. Even going from from thumbnail to 1:1 view (which was a real downer for me) is almost as quick.

EDITED TO ADD:  I think a fair bet depends on if you have 1:1 previews created on import.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:18:09 AM by Mikehit »

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

I have only used PM briefly for previewing but it is pretty close. I am getting under a second with most images, under 2 at most whereas before I would have that damned spinning wheel for 6 to 10 seconds. Even going from from thumbnail to 1:1 view (which was a real downer for me) is almost as quick.

EDITED TO ADD:  I think a fair bet depends on if you have 1:1 previews created on import.

Do any of these solutions to dropping LR do the cataloging and such that LR does?

I actually really like that feature for cataloging and later finding my images I tagged, etc....

cayenne

Mikehit

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »

Do any of these solutions to dropping LR do the cataloging and such that LR does?

Are you asking if PhotoMechanic or Fast raw do cataloging?
Photomechanic does but it is no way as sophisticated as LR. I don't know about Fastraw, BreezeBrowser etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
A lot to digest here.  Lightroom Queen breaks it all out.  I don't think it is all doom and gloom.

Not surprisingly, from someone very close to Adobe and who makes a living out of LR... :)

When I see "modern cloud storage" I always read, for example, "ancient mainframe storage"... I'm old enough to remember when my data were on a remote system...

Chaitanya

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 11:32:44 AM »
The quintessential middle finger from Adobe to its loyal Lightroom users.

JonAustin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »

From an article linked from the above: "The majority of Lightroom users have moved over to subscription and it’s reached a point that the additional testing needed for perpetual licenses is no longer economically viable."

I wonder if The Queen based any of the above statement on actual data from Adobe.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/end-of-perpetual-lightroom-licenses
Canon cameras, lenses, speedlites, scanners & printers

JRPhotos

• Canon Guy
  • EOS Rebel T7i
  • 5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
    • J&R Ogden Photography
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
I have NO interest in the cloud storage for LR. I'll continue to use the $10 month and use PS and LR locally. Editing on a tablet is crap; I tried it on vacation- not for me!

Also, their wording is a little offensive. I don't want to edit a flippin web browser, I want to use my desktop. I'm not considered the next generation of photographers? Really?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:43:24 AM by JRPhotos »

JonAustin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
When I see "modern cloud storage" I always read, for example, "ancient mainframe storage"... I'm old enough to remember when my data were on a remote system...

I'm right there with you!

As we observe the passing of the perpetual Lr license, I have to remind myself that there's a burgeoning generation (or two or three) coming up behind me that have never used / may never use a desktop, a laptop or an SLR camera. They live in a world of smartphones & tablets and still, streaming & social media of every kind, all stored in the cloud.
Canon cameras, lenses, speedlites, scanners & printers

Orangutan

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
"The majority of Lightroom users have moved over to subscription and it’s reached a point that the additional testing needed for perpetual licenses is no longer economically viable."

This is just plain BS, it's trivial 2 steps:

• Set license term to 1200 months (100 years is, effectively, perpetual)
  • Set a bit that says "no major upgrades"

Pure spin.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
Am I correct to read that if I were to continue with my current LR+Photoshop the price doubles? And for my current payment I will get LR+ Spark?

Looks like I may be bailing on this one.

You might try reading the entire article.

"Lightroom CC has also been added to the existing Creative Cloud Photography plan with an additional 20 GB of storage to help users get started on the new service. This plan remains at $9.99/month and includes Lightroom CC, Lightroom for mobile and web, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC, Adobe Spark with premium features, Adobe Portfolio, and 20 GB of cloud storage. Creative Cloud All Apps members also have access to the new Lightroom CC service."

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
Now in an increasingly mobile-centric world, and with major improvements in smartphone cameras, Lightroom is transforming digital photography again.

It seems that Adobe doesn't really understand their audience.  An app for applying some effects to cellphone snapshots is one thing.  Processing 8 GB of data after a wedding on a workstation is something else.  I can't imagine waiting for uploads/downloads every time you change a parameter.

Or ... this is just a bs justification and it's all about the money, money, money

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »