December 12, 2017, 12:07:06 AM

Author Topic: Tilt Shift Lens advice  (Read 3789 times)

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Tilt Shift Lens advice
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »
Charles, 4 minutes of watching this video and you will become a fake-miniature expert :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrg-7zMThmA

That's probably not the best example, but anyway:

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »
Hi PBD.
I fear you may have confused CanonFanBoy with CanonGuy!  :)

Cheers, Graham.

Are you sure you won't feel "defeated" if you get one?

For architecture the 24 rules. The new lenses are built to replace the 45 and 90 with the 135 being an oddity. For interior real estate and the fact that you can make it a 24 with the TC 1.4 the 17 was my obvious choice and I use it extensively.

I am getting the new TS-E50 for product work as I shoot a wide range of sized objects and the 90 is too long, I am also assuming the 50 will take the 1.4 and 2x TC's so with two lenses and two TC's I end up with six good focal lengths.

Miniature look is a bit passe now it is so easily done in post but the longer the focal length the better.

CanonGuy should change his nick IMHO since he seems to be very anti-Canon.

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
Charles, 4 minutes of watching this video and you will become a fake-miniature expert :)

Thanks Jopa! I'll check out the video. Did you take the photo? Very nice. Something about that effect is compelling to me. If it isn't the "miniaturization" effect, it is the portraits I've seen with TS lenses. I would never buy one just for the miniaturization. However, it does add to the appeal.
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 12:09:28 AM »

Thanks Jopa! I'll check out the video. Did you take the photo? Very nice. Something about that effect is compelling to me. If it isn't the "miniaturization" effect, it is the portraits I've seen with TS lenses. I would never buy one just for the miniaturization. However, it does add to the appeal.

Yes, thank you, it's somewhere in Dallas...

I've never heard anything about TS portraits, but learning something new every day! :)  They look pretty cool http://mykiiliu.com/home-2/series/tilt-shift-portrait-photography/
The guy is shooting with the 45mm TSE.

JohanL

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 02:09:15 AM »
I use a 24mm and it is a great lens, consider renting a TS-E and play with it, then consider the 24mm first for the architectural stuff. We travel extensively and the TS-E 24mm is the go to lens for all types of scapes, street, city, beach, buildings, etc. The shift is used mostly for the converging verticals, otherwise it is just a very good 24mm lens. Tilt is not used very much, but is very effective in the street on buildings etc. People shots are great, but for portraiture you might consider a longer lens, 100 to 135.

If you only need one TS-E lens then the 24mm should be the first consideration. Again, consider hiring first.

There is an app called SNAPI Tilt Calculator, that is very handy when using tilt.

Should you need to understand the lens, particularly the tilt, you would be welcome to contact me.

JohanL

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 02:23:37 AM »
Here is a handheld shifted sample.

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 05:57:56 AM »
I've had a 24mm TS-E lens for about 5 years.
It's a very interesting lens and if it were the only lens you had it would turn you into a great photographer.
It's sharp and you can get great depth of field. It's good for stitched panoramas.
But if I were to be perfectly honest it's not a very practical lens.
17mm would be better / more flexible for architecture (but it has a bulbous front so filters are not straight forward)
It's not the least bit waterproof.
I won't risk using it if rain is a potential (I live in a wet country)
It's delicate. Tighten too much it can all jam up and you have an expensive repair.
I don't think it would survive any fall. The knobs are vulnerable.
On a tripod the degree of tilt required to get the best depth of field is so small the control is not fine enough.
Once you tilt the metering system goes all wrong in its reading , you have to manually adjust.
It's manual focus which is clear when you buy it. Most of the time that is okay but easy to forget.
I sill really like it but rarely use it.
It is an enjoyable lens if you have time. It makes you precise.
All the nobs and movements are pretty cool.
Miniturisation almost works better in software.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 05:57:56 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 06:49:05 AM »
Once you tilt the metering system goes all wrong in its reading , you have to manually adjust.

Only through the viewfinder.  Metering is fine in live view, which is how I generally use my TS-E lenses (makes focusing easier, too).
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »
I don't think it would survive any fall.

Probably most of lenses won't :)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
I've never shot T/S myself, but a friend I shoot landscapes with does all the time on his D800.

He's always told me that shorter FL T/S is great for architecture, but longer FLs are better for popping the miniaturization effect.  He'd shoot nighttime cityscapes with a Nikon 85mm T/S and it was amazing how he could transform an entire skyline into a miniature/diorama effect centered on one street corner, or how longer (but not too long) exposures with car tail-lights would turn into a localized laser/lightning bolt effect.  Cool stuff.  I may rent one someday and try it myself.

- A

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 03:48:29 AM »
I've never shot T/S myself, but a friend I shoot landscapes with does all the time on his D800.

He's always told me that shorter FL T/S is great for architecture, but longer FLs are better for popping the miniaturization effect.  He'd shoot nighttime cityscapes with a Nikon 85mm T/S and it was amazing how he could transform an entire skyline into a miniature/diorama effect centered on one street corner, or how longer (but not too long) exposures with car tail-lights would turn into a localized laser/lightning bolt effect.  Cool stuff.  I may rent one someday and try it myself.

- A

Me neither. It's kind of hard for me to shoot an ultra wide angle prime, much harder to make a right composition without ability to zoom. I'm not sure if a TS zoom is possible for dummies like me? I noticed I tend to shoot the 11-24 mostly at 20+, so a 16-35 f/whatever would be probably a better choice for me. If I ever decide to buy a TS, it won't be anything wider than 24mm for sure :)

Does your friend have a web site? Would love to see the street images.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
Does your friend have a web site? Would love to see the street images.

Sorry, no.  Dude is a great guy but he's very private about putting up his work.  A real pity.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »