December 10, 2017, 07:45:25 PM

Author Topic: Off Brand: Sony Announces the Full-frame a7R III  (Read 31310 times)

BurningPlatform

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the Full-frame a7R III
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
Dual Pixel Raw on steroids. ( quad pixel RAW? )

As long as your subject isn't moving.  But hey, steroids have some pretty negative side effects, too.
Not moving, and really static:
"The camera must also wait either 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds between shots for the sensor to settle"

Suitable for product work and still life, not for landscapes that have any moving objects (like grass in wind, leaves, water, clouds).

Seems that Sony has serious vibration issues with their pixel shift technology.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »

As long as your subject isn't moving.  But hey, steroids have some pretty negative side effects, too.
"The camera must also wait either 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds between shots for the sensor to settle"

Suitable for product work and still life, not for landscapes that have any moving objects (like grass in wind, leaves, water, clouds).

Seems that Sony has serious vibration issues with their pixel shift technology.

Egad, that really clobbers utility. 

Zeiss' implementation was far better (even though it didn't need to be, because fixed specimens are about as static as things get).
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
apparently, SONY is aware and positioning this feature for architectural, reproduction, product photography, etc.
AFAIK, same can be achieved with Canon multi -bracketed shots.
Canon 5D IV DPRAW files contain extra 1 stop of DR in sub-frame B with no bracketing required. Hence shooting fast moving subjects is possible while the DR is effectively extended to 14+ stops. not bad at all.

https://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/canon-dual-pixel-mode-highlights-are-there

Q: Do you think it would be possible in the case that Adobe et al won't use this additional data, to somehow split the RAW file into two separate RAW files with which we could work independently?

A: Current version of RawDigger will export separate TIFF files to work with.

bingo!

My Zeiss microscope cameras had pixel shift ('co-site sampling') over 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:35:50 AM by SecureGSM »

OSOK

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
Canon is getting left behind in the dust.

First there was the D850, 7-9fps, 45mp, tilt screen and a ton of bells and whistles and class-leading IQ at $3,200

Now there's a Sony A7R3, with 42mp, tilt screen, 10FPS and a ton of bells and whistles which will likely equal the D850 in IQ - all for $3,200

Where's Canon? What are the chances the 5DSR Mark II is going to have 14+ stops of DR, at least 7 fps, and a flagship level, sports camera level AF system with touch tilt screen, good video features? And come in at $3,200....?   I'd say those chances are about ZERO.

The 5D4 was made obsolete by the D850, the A7RIII makes it even worse. Canon should drop the price of the 5D4 to about $2,200 so that the price better reflects its 2013-4 era features and specs and performance. The 6D2 should be $1,300 at best since it doesn't have better IQ than the 2013 6D.

Canon being market leader has become complacent. Going with "what works" for too long is bound to fail against competition trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.

D850 made huge news, and was extremely well received in the industry and across the market. I expect the A7RIII, despite it's somewhat surprise announcement and lack of pre-hype, to be just as well received.

chrysoberyl

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • 6D
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »
Will the a7R III have an 'Astrotracer Mode' like the Pentax K-1?  That would get my interest.
6D, 80D, 5D IV, Zeiss Milvus 100mm Makro, Sigma 180mm/2.8 macro, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 24mm/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4, Tokina 16-28, Canon 1.4X III TC, Canon 2X III TC, Rokinon 14mm 2.4, Sigma 135mm ART.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
* USB-C should be Thunderbolt 3 so it can combine video (remove micro HDMI), data and charging (remove micro USB) thus allowing for less weight & space.

How many external monitors for video shooting today support Thunderbolt instead of HDMI?

woodman411

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
and Dpreview adds an article too: https://www.dpreview.com/news/3426999280/sony-a7r-iii-promises-faster-bursts-better-focusing-and-longer-battery-life

6D -> 6DII, no meaningful improvement in image quality, DPR cries, "It's a travesty, a massively disappointing failure!"

a7RII -> a7RIII, no meaningful improvement in image quality, what will DPR say about image quality?

DPR will likely heap praise on the a7r3, while they only show trivial Sony cons and gloss over more significant ones. They also seem to have a fetish for dynamic range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Canon being market leader has become complacent. Going with "what works" for too long is bound to fail against competition trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.

Is there an echo in here?  You sound just like lots of posters comparing the D800 and a7R to the 5DIII, when Canon had been the market leader for just 9+ years, instead of the current 14+ years.  Canon has gained market share since then. 

But hey, I'm sure you'll get it right this time, Charlie...

EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
Will the a7R III have an 'Astrotracer Mode' like the Pentax K-1?  That would get my interest.

Well rumour has it that the Sony firmware update from a couple of years ago made the A series pants for astro because it wiped out stars. I don't know if they corrected it but Sony astro users we not happy.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
A7R III drops: same res as II, but now 10 fps
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »

A7R III:
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/sony-unveils-a7r-iii-42mp-10fps-15-stop-dr-5-5-stop-4k/

Same idiotic grip and proximity to the lens mount, so I can recycle TDP's finger squashing picture.

Looks like the A9 in that it is a bit thicker front to back.

- A

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »
And now there are three high res / peppy framerate FF rigs out there:

A99 II:  42 x 12
A7R III: 42 x 10
D850:    45 x 9

...while Canon asks you to choose between high resolution or high framerate. 

I'm not saying Canon is in trouble or YAPODFC or anything, but at the top end of the FF portfolios (dismissing gripped sports bodies) there is an offering of cake and eating it too.

I would love to see the market research that told Nikon and Sony that ultra-detail studio/landscape folks wanted a big fps bump more than (say) modest fps with yet more detail.

- A

krisbell

• EOS M5
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
Looks like a nice bit of kit and may well tempt me into an upgrade from my a7r, or at the least push the price of the a7r2 down to a more affordable level.
Current gear: Canon 5DIII, Canon 100mm f2.8 macro (broken), Canon 16-35mm f4L, Canon 300mm f2.8L II, 2x extender III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristianbell/

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
Canon is getting left behind in the dust...
...Canon being market leader has become complacent. Going with "what works" for too long is bound to fail against competition trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.

Thank you for posting this. I was afraid something was wrong that it took more than a page to get to the obligatory "Canon is doomed" posting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »
a7RII -> a7RIII, no meaningful improvement in image quality, what will DPR say about image quality?

You say this as fact. What data use for making fact?

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »

Same condition HDR merge.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »