May 23, 2018, 01:46:11 AM

Poll

will be?

dead on arrival. less dynamic range, worse low light than comp. handicapped video feautures
too little too late. equal to competition but released in late 2018
blow away comp. 4k 60p(FF and crop), IBIS, 10fps, super fast buffer, 14 stops DR
canons first mirrorless camera
already preordered my a7riii or d850

Author Topic: The 5DsR mk2  (Read 53052 times)

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: The 5DsR mk2
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »
In the course of my photography and digital imaging business I've never come across anyone outside of Internet forums who have complained about Canon sensors and this ridiculous internet centric "lower image quality at low ISO when underexposing by three stops and lifting shadows". Not one single person. So when you look at the amount of people who frequent forums such as CR compared with the amount of people globally who have cameras, I would agree with 3krmad5 that the fitting of a Sony Exmor sensor wouldn't have made one jot of difference to overall sales.

Yup.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »

tomscott

• EOS 5DS R
  • Photographer & Graphic Designer
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2018, 06:41:39 AM »
I think what is difficult to stomach for many long term canon users is that Canon are sitting on their laurels a fair amount. Back in the early days they were so hungry sometimes releases in cameras were less or just over a year.

They were always at the forefront and that was the selling point. You could rely on the fact you didnt need to look at what the comp were doing because generally Canon had it covered and content users are happy users.

Canon have been very conservative since 2012 really with tech not improving vastly or superseding competition.

I would argue that the DR difference isnt a big deal. It isnt for me anyway but latitude is alwasy welcome. I would condem the 4 stop difference charts because its just not a real world application. I dont think I have ever increased an exposure 4 stops.

People get so tied up in trivial arguments when the competition is only offering a small amount of increase. It was different with the 5DMKIII with it having poor shadow noise and increasing shadow areas left muddy purple detail. Now with newer cameras this has completely disappeared, the 5DMKIV is stellar and although the 6DMKII doesnt have on chip ADC its a far better sensor than the 5DMKIII IMO.

The thing is weve got to such a tertiary point that any gains are small now and the products are excellent.

TBH its not the technology that I think is the problem, you can do anything with modern DSLRs within reason. What I would like to see is some sort of inovation of the camera itself and I dont think a change in form factor is "IT". Smartphones have created a whole new genre, but the cameras are still poor, small sensors, single focal lengths, simulated DOF etc etc

What I would like to see is more option for 3rd party apps to allow more use of the computers controlling the cameras. What you can do with an mobile phone is incredible but what ever tech they bring and how ever 'good' people seem to think they are, even the best cameras phones are dire IMO especially when you compare them to a FF camera.

Having the processing power and tighter integration similar to what samsung did with the NX1. Half of the issue currently is that its far easier to take, edit and share images on a phone. There must be a simple way to combat this where the camera can do more of the work instead of transferring it over and the only reason for the camera is capture then the tool is set aside.

This is where I think they are missing a trick and why people love smartphones. They are also tertiary products and what these apps can do with the camera is incredible. You can do almost anything, even down to simple things like the sunseeker app that shows you where the sun will be, engaging intervalometers, star seeker, Depth of Field calculator, Hyperfocal Table, exposure controls that dont require a timer to get over 30 seconds. Those are just touching the surface and specific to how the camera works and skills in location scouting and planning. There are so much more creative applications as well as technical.

Currently cameras are a burden to average users and they truely think a mobile phone is a better option. I tend to leave my camera at home more than I used to and use my phone. At the end of an afternoon out or a weekend away being able to make a small video of the clips the camera has taken as a quick overview of a weekend in Apples Memories tool is really a lovely addition.

Its not a pro function but does everything need to be pro centric? If I wanted to do the same with my canon I would document the weekend or day have to show images on a paltry little screen that dont do the images justice without transferring them to another device. Get home transfer the images and video to my computer, sort and edit the images I want to use, boot up final cut, spend a couple of hours putting it together then let it export then try to share it. In the mean time the phone can do this in a couple of minutes and you can share it to a TV and watch it before the trip is completely over.

With memories I can quickly select what I want and it puts it together and you can change the time or move images around, get to that few seconds of a video that really matters. If I want to make something more charming and long lasting I can do that too with final cut etc but its all about time, memories are real in the here and now not in a couple of days or weeks time.

These features appeal more to the masses and lets be honest when you work all day every day as a photographer it can be a chore to pic it up at the weekend, its nice to have that sort of capability and you dont have to work that hard to make something really quite nice. Especially if you have kids, ive seen some amazing 1-2 min vids put together in this manner with not much effort.

Thats the nice thing about iPhone apps is that you choose what you want rather than be given what manufactures think you need. There must be some sort of policing so the experience is adequate and the apps actually work.

I generally think its more about making more use of what we already have, improving the experience and redefining what a camera is and what it can do.

The software is as important as the hardware IMO. We've not seen anything in the photographic realms that comes close to this. I dont think there is a difference between what someone would think is a pro or an amateur feature you just download what you need or want to use.

With Augmented Reality being the big talking point simulating your shot in camera with something like sun seekers and knowing about where the sun will be visable in a U or V shaped valley at a specific time and where to be then waiting for that light while your out shooting would be a pretty cool experience.

Im a country bloke and come from the Lake District UK. The lakes are long and can be north to south east to west or somewhere inbetween. Depending on the time of year you might get up at 5am to get a sunrise image and the sun may never break over the top of a mountain and light a valley. This is just one use case and im not really an absolute avid landscaper I enjoy it but its not my all out passion.

I dont think the boundaries of what you could do with a camera have even been touched. Essentially the DSLR is a dinosaur in this respect, same with mirrorless cameras when you could do the above and the tech has been around for years.

The challenge in modern photography is getting images out quickly and easily which is why imo the DSLR and even mirrorless cameras arent succeeding in the mainstream. DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are still niche products compared to a smart phone.

Even the merits of mirroless cameras are so small, a digital display so you can see exposure... smaller body but unwieldy lenses. It blows my mind at what tiny scale these manufacturers think about when improving cameras. Miniscule differences in the grand scheme of things and really how slow these things are implemented.

I dont really think mirrorless is really better its just a different form factor with a couple of mechanical/electronic changes.

Where is the innovation? Why are we stuck where we are? Cameras have been the same in the digital space since the D30 which is 18 years ago. Even that was based on the film variants which first came to market in the late 1940s...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:42:07 AM by tomscott »
5DIV 6DII 5DIII STOLEN 7DII 70D 17-55mm F2.8 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 L 70-200mm F2.8 II L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II L 2x II 1.4X III 580EX

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2018, 04:24:01 AM »
Where is the innovation? Why are we stuck where we are? Cameras have been the same in the digital space since the D30 which is 18 years ago. Even that was based on the film variants which first came to market in the late 1940s...

Tom, you make some very good points about the apps and all that, but lets not forget another big reason smartphones are so popular: They are free or the cost is built into the plan so that they appear free. The photos are sent to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

My wife and I both have smartphones, Casio G'zone. They are old (7 or 8 years?). They are slow. They were free. We are both over 50 (Maybe that's the problem), so we still remember the luxury of leaving the house in the morning and not being bothered by phone calls all day long or not seeing photos of somebody's lunch or hourly selfies. :) That is a luxury.

I've sort of got lost here, but for me, adding smartphone like functionality to a camera isn't innovation. For me, that's called clutter. So I guess I'm the other side of the coin. I don't take photos with my phone. I don't run the apps. on a phone. My GPS is mounted on my windshield. I really would not want a camera bogged down with all that sort of thing.

I know I'm probably in the minority. That's fine. I have a hard time understanding the idea that there isn't innovation when we see it every few months in the Canon world. You've put down what you think that means better than anyone else I've read.

Innovation for me means something different: Those little steps that add up to big steps. It takes a while to work up to something revolutionary, but gives me the time to enjoy the nuance of getting there.

Now, bring out a "Smart Camera" that includes a complete interchangeable lens system with phone functionality on a plan for $45 a month and free upgrades on the whole enchilada every two years? I'm on it.

5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
...Smartphones have created a whole new genre...

...Half of the issue currently is that its far easier to take, edit and share images on a phone. There must be a simple way to combat this where the camera can do more of the work instead of transferring it over and the only reason for the camera is capture then the tool is set aside...

This is where I think they are missing a trick and why people love smartphones. They are also tertiary products and what these apps can do with the camera is incredible...

I generally think its more about making more use of what we already have, improving the experience and redefining what a camera is and what it can do...

You are so right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=bfCJDIf-NeA

I've been beaten and battered on this forum for saying this, but I will say it again:

It is an absolute embarrassment that Uncle Joe with his smartphone can shoot and upload content to the web in a few seconds, while a professional photographer cannot.

A student recently showed me some videos she produced on her iPhone: shot, edited, added titles, effects, transitions, etc., all without ever touching a computer (other than her phone) and they were damn good. I thought about the time it would take me to do that on my $6,000 camera, my $1,000 lens, $1,500 computer and $60/month software.

There is zero reason why we should not be able to do all the same editing on our cameras and uploading without having to use clunky, crappy work arounds.

Mikehit

« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
A student recently showed me some videos she produced on her iPhone: shot, edited, added titles, effects, transitions, etc., all without ever touching a computer (other than her phone) and they were damn good. I thought about the time it would take me to do that on my $6,000 camera, my $1,000 lens, $1,500 computer and $60/month software.

So let's ignore the fact that anyone who buys a full camera kit does so because it does things a smarthpone can, or that if you are happy with snapspeed there are plenty of free editing programs for computers, and let's ignore the monthly rental costs of a phone.

You have a decent point regards the capability of the technology but everything else is pretty specious.

Random Orbits

« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »
You are so right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=bfCJDIf-NeA

I've been beaten and battered on this forum for saying this, but I will say it again:

It is an absolute embarrassment that Uncle Joe with his smartphone can shoot and upload content to the web in a few seconds, while a professional photographer cannot.

There is zero reason why we should not be able to do all the same editing on our cameras and uploading without having to use clunky, crappy work arounds.

There is zero reason why ALL smart phones can't take SD cards.  I'd rather put the video taken from the camera and move it to the phone via card rather than the slow wi-fi, then use the phone to edit/post etc.  And how many people would want to pay for wireless data access for a camera too?  Average lifespan of a camera is longer than a phone, so I'd rather have the editing/apps on the phone rather than the camera.  Of course, I can't even do that if I wanted to because my 3+ year old 16GB iphone only has about 1 GB of free space (thanks iOS) and I don't have unlimited data.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:59:46 PM by Random Orbits »

unfocused

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »

So let's ignore the fact that anyone who buys a full camera kit does so because it does things a smarthpone can, or that if you are happy with snapspeed there are plenty of free editing programs for computers, and let's ignore the monthly rental costs of a phone.

You have a decent point regards the capability of the technology but everything else is pretty specious.

I'm not sure what set you off and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Maybe I'm too thick. Did you mean to write: "...does things a smartphone CAN'T..."?

I wasn't making a cost comparison, I'm simply pointing out that all camera manufactures have massively failed to keep up with technology and photographers suffer as a result. (Not to mention that it hasn't helped their business  either, as evidenced by the death of Point and Shoot and the decline in all camera sales)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »
The 5DSR Mark I hasn't really impressed me as a camera.
Maybe its my version but the 5D III and 5D IV that I have are better in terms of image quality.
It doesn't perform well as the ISO goes up.
I was never blown away by its detail as I didn't think it ever showed any more detail than a 5D III.
I'd find the image quality in the 5D IV much better than it.

There is something wrong with your 5DSR. The linear resolution of mine at iso640 is 30-40% higher in terms of lp/mm for all my lenses using charts and distinctly sharper for reproducing images than my 5DIV, and 50% more than my previous 5DIII.
I don't think my findings are unique. Lensrentals measured MTFs from the 5DS, 5DSR and 5DIII back in 2015 and showed up to a 50% increase in the centre for a sharp lens on the 5DSR vs 5DIII https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests/

The one thing I've read over and over about the 5DsR (& 5Ds) is that with these MP monster's, technique matters greatly to get the most out of them. Meaning, if you are hand-holding for example and are going by the old rule of thumb concerning the shutter-speed to focal length ratio (even factoring IS in) you need to bump that up by at least 1 stop or the resulting images may not be as crisp. Now if you're exclusively a tripod shooter with this camera your results should be great-to-fantastic as far as resolution goes. However, your final image can also be more susceptible to atmospheric haze too, I've read...
The worst picture ever is the one not taken: so shoot, shoot, shoot! Know your equipment first however to avoid as much as possible, bad photos. ;-)

Shooting with a Canon 40D & 7D, w/70-200mm f2.8L IS I, EF 24-85mm f4.0-5.6USM, Vivitar Series I 400mm f5.6 Olympus mount w/Fotodiox converter.

AlanF

« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
The 5DSR Mark I hasn't really impressed me as a camera.
Maybe its my version but the 5D III and 5D IV that I have are better in terms of image quality.
It doesn't perform well as the ISO goes up.
I was never blown away by its detail as I didn't think it ever showed any more detail than a 5D III.
I'd find the image quality in the 5D IV much better than it.

There is something wrong with your 5DSR. The linear resolution of mine at iso640 is 30-40% higher in terms of lp/mm for all my lenses using charts and distinctly sharper for reproducing images than my 5DIV, and 50% more than my previous 5DIII.
I don't think my findings are unique. Lensrentals measured MTFs from the 5DS, 5DSR and 5DIII back in 2015 and showed up to a 50% increase in the centre for a sharp lens on the 5DSR vs 5DIII https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests/

The one thing I've read over and over about the 5DsR (& 5Ds) is that with these MP monster's, technique matters greatly to get the most out of them. Meaning, if you are hand-holding for example and are going by the old rule of thumb concerning the shutter-speed to focal length ratio (even factoring IS in) you need to bump that up by at least 1 stop or the resulting images may not be as crisp. Now if you're exclusively a tripod shooter with this camera your results should be great-to-fantastic as far as resolution goes. However, your final image can also be more susceptible to atmospheric haze too, I've read...

I don't use a tripod, but I will rest the camera on anything available if I can. I do use very fast shutter speeds for distant small birds or birds in flight - not just rule of thumb x 2 but 1/2500s or faster. Ari Hazeghi uses these speeds with his low mpixel cameras too. For close-up birds, 1/200s gives very sharp results if the bird is still. I am no lo longer scared of using iso6400 as DxO suppresses the noise well and the results are at least as good as with my 5DIV. And, if necessary, I also underexpose by a couple of stops at iso6400 and fixed speed as I can pull back.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »

That simply is not true. Any f the cameras that take a WFT have the capability to upload direct. Any with WiFi, NFC or WFT's have the ability to be put into a tablet or phone for exactly the same functionality more connected devices have too.

I do agree with your premise that it is a feature more people want in their cameras and it needs to be much easier to do, but to say you can't do it simply isn't true.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »

That simply is not true. Any f the cameras that take a WFT have the capability to upload direct. Any with WiFi, NFC or WFT's have the ability to be put into a tablet or phone for exactly the same functionality more connected devices have too.

I do agree with your premise that it is a feature more people want in their cameras and it needs to be much easier to do, but to say you can't do it simply isn't true.

The weird bit for me is that the device I wish more seamlessly could share photos to the world -- my 5D3 -- is also the device I am most like capture photos that I want to post-process on my own.

I always shoot RAW + JPG as I am not buffer constrained in what/how I shoot.  I archive JPG straight out of camera, but the keepers I want to share show off here, on social media, etc. are overwhelmingly my better shots that I want to clean up in ACR.

And using PS on the ipad or the lighter version of it on the Phone is not at all my cup of tea, I wish I had lightning quick connectivity for... the non-keepers?  That's weird, right?  This is probably why I've never bought a DSLR with wifi.

- A

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »

Here's the thing: how many people would be willing to pay for cellular data plan to upload photos directly from a camera? 

Sending photos from a smartphone makes sense because you're paying for a data plan anyways, so the best we can do with a camera is to leverage the smartphone and send a photo that way.  The problem is that this will always be much clunkier than directly sending it from a smartphone, because there are no technologies for maintaining constant connection between phone and camera and not sucking up battery, and there are no good (seamless) technologies for a paired connection on demand between smartphone and camera.

Random Orbits

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
The weird bit for me is that the device I wish more seamlessly could share photos to the world -- my 5D3 -- is also the device I am most like capture photos that I want to post-process on my own.

I always shoot RAW + JPG as I am not buffer constrained in what/how I shoot.  I archive JPG straight out of camera, but the keepers I want to share show off here, on social media, etc. are overwhelmingly my better shots that I want to clean up in ACR.

And using PS on the ipad or the lighter version of it on the Phone is not at all my cup of tea, I wish I had lightning quick connectivity for... the non-keepers?  That's weird, right?  This is probably why I've never bought a DSLR with wifi.

- A

WiFi on the 5D IV has come in handy at times.  I've moved files from the camera to the phone and then emailed them out or put them on FB.  Not very often, but it's nice to have.  One notable time this happened was when I was traveling for work in AL.  I had the weekend free, so I went to Little River Canyon National Preserve.  I had stopped by an overlook, and across the canyon was one of the tallest falls in AL (Grace's High Falls).  The ranger didn't think it was running (seasonal), but it was.  It was just me and a group of bikers.  The bikers remarked how beautiful it was, but they couldn't take pictures of it with their cellphones because it was across the canyon.  I had the 70-300L.  One of the bikers remarked how she wished she had a camera like that, and that's when I offered to email the picture of the falls to her. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

unfocused

« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »

Admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I may have missed it. Could you point me to the menu item on the 5DIV that allows me to upload an image directly to Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the same ease that it can be done on an iPhone?

I thought I was pretty clear that I was comparing the seamless smart phone user experience to the clunky DSLR experience and never suggested it was impossible with a wifi connected camera. Although I would point out that DSLRs have been very late to the party – My 1DxII has a crippled touch screen and no wifi. And, I don't consider having to connect to a second device as really being an acceptable solution.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »

Admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I may have missed it. Could you point me to the menu item on the 5DIV that allows me to upload an image directly to Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the same ease that it can be done on an iPhone?

I thought I was pretty clear that I was comparing the seamless smart phone user experience to the clunky DSLR experience and never suggested it was impossible with a wifi connected camera. Although I would point out that DSLRs have been very late to the party – My 1DxII has a crippled touch screen and no wifi. And, I don't consider having to connect to a second device as really being an acceptable solution.

We are in complete agreement.

The only part of your opinion I considered incorrect was the exact quote of yours I clipped, that it can't be done in seconds, it can, though I 100% agree with you it is clunky at best and for those that are interested in social media posting pro and semi pro cameras are simply not designed with that functionality adequately in mind.

I suppose the bottom line is camera makers think of the pro/semi pro bodies as completely different tools, tractors only have one seat and no luggage space, but they tow better than any SUV. The 1 and 5 series cameras can be hooked up to servers and computers, wired or wirelessly, and have tagged images put out on cable services in seconds, just look at the Olympics as proof of that.

But, as has been pointed out, if you want the functionality without a second device to upload it from then are you thinking you are going to want a data capable SIM card and associated contract? I don't, I'll take the WiFi or Ethernet connection and send it to a more appropriate device.

I did do a series of studio shoots for college sports stars and they were very social media minded. I shot tethered into LR where I had a custom preset that processed the images and then they could be copied to 'Publish Services' to any number of social media sites from within LR. In total about 4 or 5 clicks of the mouse had the selected images imported, processed, cropped, tagged, and uploaded to social media in seconds.

If I wanted the workflow you are looking for today I'd connect a 5D MkIV via the built in WiFi to a SIM enabled iPad via an adhoc network to LR, then I'd do basic selects and edits and use the share functionality to post to wherever you want, that isn't time consuming or involved and you can do exactly the same thing on your phone if you are more interested in posting than image quality.

Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »